Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Which brings up a question perhaps someone can answer - what about Boyle? The issus with her adoption resolved last year, she's coached in the ACC and she's an alum.
    Do people not have google? Look, she's a really fine person, but we're looking for a basketball coach, supposedly one who can lead us to the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Which brings up a question perhaps someone can answer - what about Boyle? The issus with her adoption resolved last year, she's coached in the ACC and she's an alum.
    Great person. But she's 56 and she was 53-61 in ACC games at UVa.

Harding and Beard - please stop suggesting their names

Almost as crazy as suggesting Lindsay Harding as the next coach. She has a little bit of experience coaching in her current NBA position. I know some coaches in that NBA position and they are basically rebounders for NBA players to get up shots. She has zero experience dealing with the team dynamics of a college team, recruiting, and in game experience with Xs and Os, I hate to mention these things because Lindsay is one of the all time bests, but she's extremely far away from being ready to coach.

I would also say the same applies to Alana Beard who has even less experience coaching. Being a great player doesn't automatically make you a great coach (Magic Johnson). In fact, I think she has zero experience coaching.

10 years down the road these 2 could possibly turn into great coaches. But being a great coach requires a lot of time on the bench (not including playing experience).

I'm leaning towards the Drake coach. Great style of play, young and energetic, and experience as a successful D1 coach. Another dark horse could be Charlotte Smith, one of the most successful African-American coaches the past 5 years. Obvious ties to UNC hurt, but I can get over that. I'm worried White is looking at Cunningham (ND asst) due to his ties there. Not enough head coaching experience for me. And the success of ND was mainly Muffet, ND name, and Nielle Ivey's recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    Almost as crazy as suggesting Lindsay Harding as the next coach. She has a little bit of experience coaching in her current NBA position. I know some coaches in that NBA position and they are basically rebounders for NBA players to get up shots. She has zero experience dealing with the team dynamics of a college team, recruiting, and in game experience with Xs and Os, I hate to mention these things because Lindsay is one of the all time bests, but she's extremely far away from being ready to coach.

I would also say the same applies to Alana Beard who has even less experience coaching. Being a great player doesn't automatically make you a great coach (Magic Johnson). In fact, I think she has zero experience coaching.

10 years down the road these 2 could possibly turn into great coaches. But being a great coach requires a lot of time on the bench (not including playing experience).

I'm leaning towards the Drake coach. Great style of play, young and energetic, and experience as a successful D1 coach. Another dark horse could be Charlotte Smith, one of the most successful African-American coaches the past 5 years. Obvious ties to UNC hurt, but I can get over that. I'm worried White is looking at Cunningham (ND asst) due to his ties there. Not enough head coaching experience for me. And the success of ND was mainly Muffet, ND name, and Nielle Ivey's recruiting.
    Joy Cheek Smith. All I'm going to say.

GoDuke!

This is a fun thread -- sorta like a dorm discussion or talk in the company cafeteria. The only piece of information we have is "not Coach G." So, me included, we are just "goosing ghosts" -- speculating, expressing opinions, imagining things, reporting rumors, making up rumors.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Meanwhile Kevin White will show his leadership (and inoculate himself from criticism) by hiring an outside firm to suggest candidates...I know, lots of schools do this (this is how we nearly got Karl Dorrell as our football coach)

I kinda liked Tom Butters' approach...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    Yup. She's been my #1 pick forever. More than her experience with coaching at more than just one school (three, now I think, with Duke, Ohio St, and Clemson) is that she is an amazing recruiter. A couple of Duke's highly ranked classes were in no small part thanks to her. She is akin to how Jeff Capel was to the men's team.

(PS, Joy Smith now.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Joy Cheek Smith. All I'm going to say.GoDuke!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yup. She's been my #1 pick forever.
    I'll have what jv001 and CameronBornAndBred are having .

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yup. She's been my #1 pick forever. More than her experience with coaching at more than just one school (three, now I think, with Duke, Ohio St, and Clemson) is that she is an amazing recruiter. A couple of Duke's highly ranked classes were in no small part thanks to her. She is akin to how Jeff Capel was to the men's team.

(PS, Joy Smith now.)
    You left out her short stay at Vanderbilt.

I don’t necessarily look at her “experience ...at more than just one school” as a positive. Not sure four schools in eight years is a great record, especially when none of the head coaches were fired (and the staff replaced.). On the other hand, she is regarded positively among the coaching profession, so that’s a positive.

Joy Smith, or Shannon Perry, are the likely favorites of former Duke players/coaches, if that’s the route that’s taken. I would probably stop going to games, on the other hand, if CHARLOTTE Smith were hired. Just say no to cheaters.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I would probably stop going to games, on the other hand, if CHARLOTTE Smith were hired. Just say no to cheaters.
    That would be kind of odd to be a Duke player in Carmichael and looking up in the rafters to see your coach's jersey.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Y'all have convinced me on Joy Cheek Smith.

Which, of course, makes me worry that White won't even consider her.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I like Joy a lot, but I strongly prefer someone with head coaching experience. Running and leading a program is a lot more than recruiting.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

GoDuke!

One potential problem. Per her twitter... she posted on May 10 that she was 27 weeks pregnant.

https://twitter.com/CoachJoy21/statu...43460069203973

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    One potential problem. Per her twitter... she posted on May 10 that she was 27 weeks pregnant.

Congrats to Joy. Thanks for sharing that.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Nice interview of Lindsey Harding by Mikayla Boykin. Lindsey is a very impressive young woman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHpK...ature=youtu.be
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Assuming you mean "potential problem" only in the sense that she might not be interested in taking on the heavier workload at this juncture?

27w. Sounds like Babby Cheek-Smith will pop out right around Midnight Madness.

Or would, if events were taking place.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    27w. Sounds like Babby Cheek-Smith will pop out right around Midnight Madness.

Or would, if events were taking place.
    She was 27 weeks on May 10. So she is likely due early August. Really well timed pregnancy for a basketball coach - the bulk of her pregnancy is during the off-season, she has the baby in early August, and is a few months into the routine of parenthood (if there is such a thing) by the time the season would normally be starting.

Good luck to Coach Joy!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    She was 27 weeks on May 10. So she is likely due early August. Really well timed pregnancy for a basketball coach - the bulk of her pregnancy is during the off-season, she has the baby in early August, and is a few months into the routine of parenthood (if there is such a thing) by the time the season would normally be starting.

Good luck to Coach Joy!
    Hire her and fill DukeWBB's 'gram with pix of Babby Cheek-Smith!

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

That kid will be an easy recruit in 18 years!