Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Like espn or not, here's an extensive article on prospects:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...nne-p-mccallie
    That is an impressive list of coaches! And well constructed. It got me fired up about the possibility of the return of Coach G, and then had me convinced one of the up-and-comers could be even better.
    Carolina delenda est

I am going to avoid talking about candidates with existing Duke ties since the situation is more complicated, but here are some thoughts on others. To me, important factors are offensive philosophy and willingness to adapt to modern trends, knowledge of the process of recruiting to high level programs, and understanding of what is possible to accomplish off the court at Duke, especially with fans. As is the case with any hire after a departure, it seems likely that there will be some kind of stylistic shift.

Nicki Collen, Atlanta Dream: She has good college experience and her first pro season was spectacular. Season two was not good at all, but overall her philosophy and style seem to be pretty solid. WNBA coaches are all affordable, but her reasons for moving from college to the pros are understandable and this would be a chance to run her own program in college. The Dream also have some off the court things going on right now, so this might be the right time for her to jump, but given that their season is supposed to start soon, I could see a perception issue of team abandonment. If this had happened three months ago, the timing might have been better.

Tina Langley, Rice: Impressive turnaround at a school that is not easy to win at consistently. She has the experience of being an assistant at a high level without the personality of her mentor and has already demonstrated some creative recruiting for her situation.

Raegan Peably, TCU: Runs a very modern offense and already has a ton of head coaching experience at a young age. TCU is not exactly the best funded program so it would be one of the easier power conference schools to raid from these days. It would be nice to know how she would adjust to recruit at a program used to getting top recruits regularly.

Jennie Baranczyk, Drake: Done quite well at her only head coaching job. Her assistant experience gives her some past ideas on recruiting at a power conference level, but is a long way removed from that. Seems to have been a big name for two hiring cycles, but I wonder if there are jobs out there that she might be waiting for to come open.

Lisa Fortier, Gonzaga: Carried on what was going on at Gonzaga after being promoted to head coach. The lack of power conference assistant experience is worrying, but she is recruiting well at the mid-major level. Like her predecessor, she is likely to be the big candidate whenever Pac 12 jobs open up in the near future and it is possible that her next destination might be in that conference.

Too soon?
    Megan Duffy, Marquette: She engineered a quick turnaround in her first job and then moved up to the upper echelon of mid-majors after two years, having a solid first season. She has a strong playing pedigree and varied assistant coaching experience, but it will probably be a few years before she makes the power conference jump although she seems to be quite highly-regarded.

Call them!
    There are a few longtime assistants like Shea Ralph at UConn and Kate Paye at Stanford who seem like they have good situations, but it never hurts to try to figure out if they would take the right head coaching job.

Adia Barnes, Arizona: I think the timing for this is just not right. She took a tough job at her alma mater, which really was not supporting the program very well and then turned it around and brought the fans in last season before having a great season cut short. It is definitely possible that funding is still not up to snuff there for the long term, but it seems like it is not the time for her to move on right now.

If men are an option, that leads to some interesting possibilities. The people who make these decisions are obviously not going to say out loud that men are not an option, but there is often a preference or restriction in place.

Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast would be an interesting candidate, but it would be hard to pry him away from a program that he built from scratch. Of course, he essentially has no power conference level experience with things like recruiting, but there were rumors that he was in the mix at USC and that there are certain jobs that he would leave for if given the chance.

Jose Fernandez at South Florida also tends to be a popular suggestion for openings as he has done an excellent job building that program. The worry would be his reliance on international recruits as that might not be possible to replicate everywhere, but he has great connections in that sphere.

Quentin Hillsman at Syracuse should also be sounded out for major openings. He has won there with a style that is rather extreme and should be exciting for fans, but they have never really packed it in with their setup at the Carrier Dome looking quite cavernous. It's hard to know how coaches at programs with that issue feel about their support, but I could see other schools being interested. If the style is intriguing, another option might be trying to figure out if his analytics guru Vonn Read might be ready to make a jump, although this does not seem like the right opportunity for that.

Two good coaches who we should probably not expect to be options are Katie Abrahamson-Henderson at Central Florida and Felisha Leggette-Jack at Buffalo. Both seem likely to land power conference jobs in the next few years, but both are considered part of Coach P's coaching tree so the fit is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Two good coaches who we should probably not expect to be options are Katie Abrahamson-Henderson at Central Florida and Felisha Leggette-Jack at Buffalo. Both seem likely to land power conference jobs in the next few years, but both are considered part of Coach P's coaching tree so the fit is not right.
    Thanks for the analysis. I woke up this morning thinking to look up the Smesko guy, but agree Duke will be hiring a woman.

Your last paragraph made me think: Does Coach G have a coaching tree? Have not really heard of one (the current coach at Virginia?), and here we're 6 pages in and none have been mentioned. Seems we've also found what it takes to get DWBB some interest on DBR. Over 100 posts in less than 24 hours!

Thanks for the analysis. I woke up this morning thinking to look up the Smesko guy, but agree Duke will be hiring a woman.

Your last paragraph made me think: Does Coach G have a coaching tree? Have not really heard of one (the current coach at Virginia?), and here we're 6 pages in and none have been mentioned. Seems we've also found what it takes to get DWBB some interest on DBR. Over 100 posts in less than 24 hours!
    or you could hire G and have part of her tree at the same time...stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    or you could hire G and have part of her tree at the same time...stay tuned!
    I really don't see it. She left partly (or all) because of money 13 years ago, and I believe got a million from Texas. Coach P was making $1.3 million. Why would she accept less, probably considerably less, than Coach P? These coaches have egos.

The current financial situation precludes it if Duke has any sense (so stay tuned, yes). I'm not going to research the details, but obviously high-end salaries were cut and I believe other salaries frozen as well as retirement contributions. Paying a new coach (no matter how previously popular) in a non-revenue sport (which will remain a non-revenue sport) over a million will not go over well in the Duke community (by which I mean employees).

I cannot come close to predicting who will be chosen, but feel fairly confident it will not be Coach G. Banghart was hired up the road for $650,000, I fully expect something similar.

I really don't see it. She left partly (or all) because of money 13 years ago, and I believe got a million from Texas. Coach P was making $1.3 million. Why would she accept less, probably considerably less, than Coach P? These coaches have egos.

The current financial situation precludes it if Duke has any sense (so stay tuned, yes). I'm not going to research the details, but obviously high-end salaries were cut and I believe other salaries frozen as well as retirement contributions. Paying a new coach (no matter how previously popular) in a non-revenue sport (which will remain a non-revenue sport) over a million will not go over well in the Duke community (by which I mean employees).

I cannot come close to predicting who will be chosen, but feel fairly confident it will not be Coach G. Banghart was hired up the road for $650,000, I fully expect something similar.
    not to mention the WBB program is bringing in significantly less revenue than it was when P first arrived.
    April 1

If you're talking about Joanne Boyle, she stepped away from coaching several years back for personal reasons, specifically a complicated overseas adoption. Tina Thompson is the current coach at UVA.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If you're talking about Joanne Boyle, she stepped away from coaching several years back for personal reasons, specifically a complicated overseas adoption. Tina Thompson is the current coach at UVA.
    That's her, thanks. Any others, Jim? You're the expert on these things.

Edit: Just checked wikipedia, which has nothing.

That's her, thanks. Any others, Jim? You're the expert on these things.

Edit: Just checked wikipedia, which has nothing.
    Michelle Van Gorp was on McCallie's staff for awhile in a non-coaching position. I suspect she could coach the heck out of post players. But she's not a head-coach option.

Lots of G's players had WNBA success, Beard, Harding, Mo Currie, Mistie Bass. Which precluded them from coaching.

Joy Cheek Smith and Wanisha Smith--currently on staff-began their careers under G and finished under P.

This shouldn't take long. Any competent administrator--and I trust we can agree that Kevin White is competent at the least--is going to have a short list of replacements for vacancies in high-profile positions and this vacancy train has been coming down the tracks for some time.

This shouldn't take long. Any competent administrator--and I trust we can agree that Kevin White is competent at the least--is going to have a short list of replacements for vacancies in high-profile positions and this vacancy train has been coming down the tracks for some time.
    If you can say (otherwise ignore me ), how much is Nina King going to have to say about the hire? White is going to be 70 in 2 months. The other Senior Deputy AD is also around 70.

King seems like a natural to step in to the top post, and at her age should provide stability for a long time (as much as there is in college athletics). From goduke (just a bit of her bio):

In February of 2018, King was named to SportsBusiness Journal’s Forty Under 40 Class of 2018. The annual list honors 40 executives for excellence and innovation in their respective careers, all before the age of 40. Later that year, she was tabbed to the Leaders Under 40 Class of 2018, honoring sports business executives from around the world.

King is currently Vice Chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee and will serve as Chair for the 2020-2021 season. The 10-person group is charged with, among many duties, the selection, seeding, and bracketing for the annual NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship. King also serves on several ACC Committees and Duke University Committees and was previously a member of the NCAA Committee on Institutional Performance.

Michelle Van Gorp was on McCallie's staff for awhile in a non-coaching position. I suspect she could coach the heck out of post players. But she's not a head-coach option.

Lots of G's players had WNBA success, Beard, Harding, Mo Currie, Mistie Bass. Which precluded them from coaching.

Joy Cheek Smith and Wanisha Smith--currently on staff-began their careers under G and finished under P.

Would Duke be against raiding a fellow ACC school of its head coach? Say Joanna Bernabei-McNamee??

This shouldn't take long. Any competent administrator--an I trust we can agree that Kevin White is competent at the least--is going to have a short list of replacements for vacancies in high-profile positions and this vacancy train has been coming down the tracks for some time.
    From a business perspective, I imagine White has been looking forward to the day when he could wipe that extension from the books, but you're spot on that having a succession plan, even if it only involves a short list of candidates, maybe even ones you've intentionally remained cordial with, is an essential part of running a high profile organization...especially when you may be looking to, erm, move forward, at the earliest opportunity. Especially when the individual has had health scares.

Further, I imagine that P didn't YOLO call white and walk out. I'd like to imagine that regardless of animosity there might be from not continuing the relationship, it was at least done in a professional enough manner that both parties knew it was coming some time before it became official, allowing White to start seriously soliciting interest.

Were I a betting man, I'd say they have a hire within the week or so, and witth players reporting in about a month, it would have to be soon.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When I read that the search will "begin immediately", I pretty much took that as saying "it has been well under way". Might not mean that anyone had been contacted, but I would assume that folks behind the scenes have been doing lots of homework to identify the candidates that they want to talk to the most.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When I read that the search will "begin immediately", I pretty much took that as saying "it has been well under way". Might not mean that anyone had been contacted, but I would assume that folks behind the scenes have been doing lots of homework to identify the candidates that they want to talk to the most.
    Ironically, I imagine covid might expedite the process, as I can't imagine there's an expectation for an in-person meeting that might otherwise happen when hiring a coach.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As I may have said above, I operate under the assumption that an AD at a Division I school is constantly on the phone with headhunters and agents, keeping track of coaches and economic factors like salaries. And that these same search firms and agents are constantly talking to "hot properties" in the coaching world, including women's hoops.

If the above is even partially true, a search can start immediately at high speed.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    To hide my drinking problem from the In-Laws I transferred my bourbon to old hand sanitizer bottles. As they are ardent Trump supporters, drinking in front of them only elevates me in their esteem.
    I can't stop laughing at this one. Great!😂

Though I believe G is out of the price range, my dream scenario is her coming back (with no 5-year limitation/understanding as others have suggested since that's a bad look) with Alana as her top assistant and heir apparent. Then they go out and get Azzi Fudd and one or two of the other top players left in the 2021 class and announce "Duke is BACK". I think that would be an enticing challenge for a top player.

Maybe it can be done with an incentive-laden contract. Or do a Bobby Bonilla contract.

^ I bet G would coach at Duke for less than what McCallie was making...

There are a lot of names out there

It appears that everybody involved in women's basketball is a potential Duke hire, with the exception of Sylvia of course.

I really don't recognize most of them, but it seems that there are a lot of talented coaches out there, which is good for Duke and good for women's basketball in general.

All I can say is that the new head coach and all of the assistants better be ready to recruit because we need to replenish he cupboard. I hope that whoever comes in can retain some of the current assistants, especially the ones with a Duke background (Wanisha Smith, Keturah Jackson, and Bobby Sorrel).

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    It appears that everybody involved in women's basketball is a potential Duke hire, with the exception of Sylvia of course.

I really don't recognize most of them, but it seems that there are a lot of talented coaches out there, which is good for Duke and good for women's basketball in general.

All I can say is that the new head coach and all of the assistants better be ready to recruit because we need to replenish he cupboard. I hope that whoever comes in can retain some of the current assistants, especially the ones with a Duke background (Wanisha Smith, Keturah Jackson, and Bobby Sorrel).
    Jim Corrigan also is a Duke alum