Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No comments on my suggestion? I'm surprised.
    Some of the best WBB coaches in the ACC are men. But given the social dynamics of 2020 hiring a man might cause some pushback.

And technically, I don't think he was a WBB coach at Duke. Something more along the lines of administrative assistant, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Dawn Staley was an established coach at Temple before heading to USC. (Most coaches are former players, of course.)

The more direct players to coaches include Minnesota and Virginia, and the jury’s still out on those recent moves.
    Yes, I should have typed Temple AND South Carolina. And my apologies to Lindsey for not seeing that spell check actually spelled her last name incorrectly

All that being said, we would be fortunate to get a coach that has has had Dawn's success.

The top recruit in 2021 (and 3 others in the top 15) is still available, and she's supposed to be a once in 5- to 10-years talent. That's what wins you national championships. I wonder if the right coach would give us a shot at her. She's a 5'11" guard, Alana's a 5'11" guard...

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I'm out of bourbon and I'm too scared to go out and get another bottle, so how am I going to celebrate this?

Oh, well, I'm sure I'll think of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VM2eLhvsSM
    If you’re too scared to get a bottle of bourbon, you’re too scared! I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that ingesting bourbon kills coronavirus. I’ll have to look for the link. 😛

Best of luck to Coach P. Next play for us. LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The bring-back-Goestenkors crowd cites Mack Brown as an example of you-can-go-home-again.

One scenario that has been floated to me is GG comes back on a term-limited contract, with Beard as the top assistant and designated successor.

Learn the ropes.

I would love to have Alana Beard back at Duke. She's bright, articulate and has the personality that should translate to immediate success on the recruiting trail. And great name recognition. But there's a learning curve, not just the X's and O's part but also the CEO running a big program part. Is she able to hit the ground running?

Same questions with Harding.
    Why would Coach G do that? She is only 57. I'm not suggesting that she wants to coach until she is 73+ like Coach K, but she has plenty of coaching ahead of her. She made it clear this spring that she wants to get back to coaching. It makes no sense.

If we were bringing back a former player, I would feel more confident in Harding than Beard - Harding at least has a few years of experience around a basketball team as a non-player. But to your point, there is a lot that goes into running a major college program. And that job is now a lot more complicated given all of the changes related to COVID-19. If a former player came in, they would need a top assistant with a lot of experience, preferably in women's college coaching. If only Pete Gaudet wasn't a little younger! (for those who don't know, he was an assistant women's coach after leaving Duke).

One other point - I don't know much about the business side of college sports. But today is the second day of the University's fiscal year. Might that be part of the timing? Perhaps there are some benefits for her being on the payroll into the new fiscal?

The bring-back-Goestenkors crowd cites Mack Brown as an example of you-can-go-home-again.

One scenario that has been floated to me is GG comes back on a term-limited contract, with Beard as the top assistant and designated successor.

Learn the ropes.

I would love to have Alana Beard back at Duke. She's bright, articulate and has the personality that should translate to immediate success on the recruiting trail. And great name recognition. But there's a learning curve, not just the X's and O's part but also the CEO running a big program part. Is she able to hit the ground running?

The term-limited contract for Goestenkors is the only way I'd want her back. And having favorite daughter Alana Beard waiting in the wings is intriguing. So far, this is the top idea I've heard.

So - it's settled?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Learn the ropes.

Everyone knows I'm the biggest GG fan. I'd probably wet myself with glee if she comes back, whether it's a good idea or not. Just cause I love her. But.

If everything knows that's the arrangement, I don't like the racial optics of the above arrangement. I wouldn't think so, perhaps, if Goestenkors were presently (a) still in head coaching and (b ) had succeeded at Texas, where she had a losing (!) record in conference games (40-42). I certainly wouldn't fuss if she had continuously run Duke WBB since 1993 and Beard were her top asst. But in reality in 2020, GG is out of coaching, and hasn't run a program at a top 10 level or anything like it since 2006-07. Society has changed since 2007, and I'd probably have more trust in, say, Alana Beard on that count.

So what you'd have is a lame-duck situation in the second half of the contract, and the lame duck would be a sixtyish placeholder deemed necessary to make the obvious AfAm successor somehow more acceptable in year five than in year one. Because experience yada yada.

Give Beard the job and the authority, or don't. Don't make her wait behind an un-retiree--about whom you have no idea whether the un-retiree is what she was in 1998-2007 or so. Otherwise you look too timid to just give Beard the dang job.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 07-02-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Everyone knows I'm the biggest GG fan. I'd probably wet myself with glee if she comes back, whether it's a good idea or not. Just cause I love her. But.

If everything knows that's the arrangement, I don't like the racial optics of the above arrangement. I wouldn't think so, perhaps, if Goestenkors were presently (a) still in coaching and (b ) had succeeded at Texas, where she had a losing (!) record in conference games (40-42). I certainly wouldn't fuss if she had continuously run Duke WBB since 1993 and Beard were her top asst. But in reality in 2020, GG is out of coaching, and hasn't run a program at a top 10 level or anything like it since 2006-07. Society has changed since 2007, and I'd probably have more trust in, say, Alana Beard on that count.

So what you'd have is a lame-duck situation in the second half of the contract, and the lame duck would be a sixtyish placeholder deemed necessary to make the obvious AfAm successor somehow more acceptable in year five than in year one. Because experience yada yada.

Give Beard the job and the authority, or don't. Don't make her wait behind an un-retiree--about whom you have no idea whether the un-retiree is what she was in 1998-2007 or so. Otherwise you look too timid to just give Beard the dang job.
    i think that only really is an issue if beard really is the assumed successor, which i don't think is necessarily true, and if it is, it's not necessarily viewed as such to the general public.

That said, I agree with you. there's no point to bringinging in a coach with the stated purpose of coaching for 5 years. Might as well hire the following coach now...it's not like we're a great team with a championship window closing that we want to get the most out of for a couple of years and just need a replacement coach. The fact that G was the previous coach doesn't change that logic.

I have nothing against G, but I also don't necessarily think she brings much more to the table at this point...several years after a relatively poor stint at texas, 13 years after coaching at duke, to warrant elevating her to the top of any search list. Would we be interested in her if she hadn't been a prior duke coach? Likely not...so if we actually care about the future success of this program, we shouldn't settle for that now.

Though I wouldn't mind if they replaced the murals where they photoshopped P in with the originals...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    If you’re too scared to get a bottle of bourbon, you’re too scared! I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that ingesting bourbon kills coronavirus. I’ll have to look for the link. ��
    To hide my drinking problem from the In-Laws I transferred my bourbon to old hand sanitizer bottles. As they are ardent Trump supporters, drinking in front of them only elevates me in their esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    As for Coach P I've long not been a fan of hers. But I have to give her credit for realizing that her time at Duke was pretty much over and walking away with honor and giving Duke a chance to start the rebuild regroup sooner and with a better chance of turning it around faster.
    I don’t know about that. I think McCallie should have resigned the moment Duke decided in the spring of 2016 to conduct an investigation into her and the women’s basketball program.

Duke basically wasted the past four seasons with a permanently-damaged McCallie. The moment a university decides to go to the extraordinary step of investigating its own coach the writing is generally on the wall. It’s usually just a matter of time before the whole thing comes tumbling down. And now it has.

Once it became clear McCallie was not going to resign Kevin White should have fired her. I still cannot believe he didn’t. It is a permanent stain on his record that will never be erased.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    If you’re too scared to get a bottle of bourbon, you’re too scared! I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that ingesting bourbon kills coronavirus. I’ll have to look for the link. 😛
    If this is true, me, my family and all of my friends are incredibly safe from the virus. Bourbon is in great danger though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    If this is true, me, my family and all of my friends are incredibly safe from the virus. Bourbon is in great danger though.
    My quarantine project was to put a couple beer taps built into my kitchen. I hope it's strong enough.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    We need a new coach who can make her mark.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    We need a new coach who can make her mark.
    perhaps sealed with red wax?
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    How about Courtney Banghart?

(“Well, I know I’ve only been in Chapel Hill for a year, but I’ve seen enough of you cheaters. Off to better job, and I don’t even have to move!”)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    How about Courtney Banghart?

(“Well, I know I’ve only been in Chapel Hill for a year, but I’ve seen enough of you cheaters. Off to better job, and I don’t even have to move!”)
    I'll take OOC Banghart....as ACC banghart was lackluster.
    1200. DDMF.

In case anyone has any doubts about the value of punctuation, just think what a different thread this would be if the title were "McCallie re-signs".

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Would like to see us go after Lindsey Hardin or Alana Beard. Hopefully duplicate what Dawn Staley has done at South Carolina as a former player turned coach. Their connections with Coach G's program would be invaluable. I believe they both could recruit well at Duke. Their experiences in the professional ranks would also be a plus.

I am not sure what either one earns presently, but we probably would not have to break the bank to hire them.
    How about Coach G for 2-3 years, grooming Hardin OR Beard to take over?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'll take OOC Banghart...as ACC banghart was lackluster.
    Look what she had to work with.

(And, just in case anybody didn’t get it, my previous post should have started with “/sarcasmmodeon”)