Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Would you want to see a Duke vs UNC National Championship game?

Posed this question on twitter and the opinions were fairly evenly split. Would you be all for it or would the stress be too much to take?

Never. Wouldn’t even be able to watch.

--> No.

While it did not happen in 2020, I would consider that game the final sign of the apocalypse.

Don’t ever want to see it happen on the basis of the outcome being the ultimate arbiter of best team / program and it would be perpetually soul crushing to lose.

Yep. I'll play anyone if we're in the National Championship game.

And there will be context -- I doubt that both teams would be #1 seeds -- and would likely have played three times already.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It seems like we've had this discussion many times, and if memory serves, that for most people it's a hard pass.

I'd be ok with it if our team was awesome and they completely sucked; then again, in that situation, how did they make it to the championship game? I'd be ok with it if our team was completely healthy and at least ten of their players, including all starters, became violently ill the day of the game and were getting IV fluids prior to tip-off.

In short, I'd be ok with it only in the event that we had approximately a 99% chance of winning. Otherwise, no way.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

This is one thing Duke and UNC fans agree on: NO!!

No.
    It was gut wrenching when the possibility emerged in 1991. Thanks Roy.

No. AND to meet the length requirement....no.

+Infinity on the nope-a-rooney.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

When this came up somewhere/sometime in the past, there was the comment "eternal bragging rights" for the winner. But for the loser, that would be intolerable. So at what risk if, say, Zion blew another shoe in it, or Tony Lang's fingernail was again a few millimeters too short? Moving to another country perhaps? The necessity of checking into a lunatic asylum for the rest of one's life? Oh, the humanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    No.
    It was gut wrenching when the possibility emerged in 1991. Thanks Roy.
    1991 was not gut wrenching for me - I knew we wouldn’t advance past UNLV as they were unbeatable😀

Tent 1 Three-peat (2012-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilStop View Post
    Posed this question on twitter and the opinions were fairly evenly split. Would you be all for it or would the stress be too much to take?
    It would be bad for the rivalry- and more importantly my heart. This shall never come to pass.

No. I would kind of like to see both Duke and UNC in the same Final Four, but never to play each other.

In one way, the 2001-2002 Duke/Maryland rivalry will always feel like Duke got the better of it because Duke beat Maryland in the 2001 Final Four. Both teams have banners for National Titles, but Duke won head-to-head on the (second) biggest stage. And now we'll never play Maryland again. As for Duke/UNC, I would enjoy being on opposite sides of the Final Four with one team losing so that the question of "what if" remains. It adds intrigue to the rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    No. I would kind of like to see both Duke and UNC in the same Final Four, but never to play each other.

In one way, the 2001-2002 Duke/Maryland rivalry will always feel like Duke got the better of it because Duke beat Maryland in the 2001 Final Four. Both teams have banners for National Titles, but Duke won head-to-head on the (second) biggest stage. And now we'll never play Maryland again. As for Duke/UNC, I would enjoy being on opposite sides of the Final Four with one team losing so that the question of "what if" remains. It adds intrigue to the rivalry.
    With maybe their all-time greatest cheating coach being ejected? Nah, never happen...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I will rephrase the question and then answer it...

Would we want to see Coach K vs Roy in the National Championship?

Yes and Duke won in 1991!!!!!!!

Hell no!

The NCAA is supposed to involve institutions of higher education. That rules the Chapel Hill institute ineligible.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nope
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think not living where the rivalry exists in everyday conversations with neighbors, shop keepers and co-workers allows me to say that I would love to see them meet in a final. So few things in life have the potential to create that level of emotional drama. Sure, I could liquidate my retirement savings and bet it on a game and be really emotionally invested, but that is too high stakes for me. I guess everyone saying "No" feels that the stakes would be the equivalent of what I describe with my life savings analogy.