Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Is anyone else (particularly east coast) seeing a maple die out lately? Tops of some maples looking bare and lots of short growth on lower limbs but overall sickly.

Ash trees are all dying or dead from the ash borer, I know, but geez, the maples now what's wrong with them?

I've got a lot of trees on this property but of course, the ones closest to the house look the worst.
    My wife is a horticulturist and does not know of anything targeting maples. They are probably under stress for one reason or another, but probably not due to being maples.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Check for bagworms?
    Went out and looked this morning. I didn't see any signs of bagworms. The demise of the tree has been swift and sudden, though. I have to believe it's an infestation of some kind, whether disease or insect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    My wife is a horticulturist and does not know of anything targeting maples. They are probably under stress for one reason or another, but probably not due to being maples.
    Thanks for the info!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

on the subject of trees, for any modest sized tree needing a boost, I strongly recommend the A.M. Leonard water bags...they easily zip around tree trunks, they hold a lot (20 gallons?) of water, and it very slowly trickles out the bottom over time...they have allowed our two year old trees to flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... I strongly recommend the A.M. Leonard water bags...they easily zip around tree trunks, they hold a lot (20 gallons?) of water, and it very slowly trickles out the bottom over time...they have allowed our two year old trees to flourish.
    Thanks budwom. Ordering.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Trees? I live in an arboretum! From our town charter: The Town purchased land that was threatened by excessive development and established the Town as an Arboretum, including approval of a citizens advisory committee to initiate the Arboretum. The Arboretum shall consist of all trees, shrubs, woody plants, and other herbaceous material planted or maintained by the Town on any and all public land owned by the Town, including but not limited to such material in parks, playgrounds, rights-of-way, and lands leased by the Town to others, together with such property (whether or not owned by the Town) for which the Town may from time to time have maintenance responsibility.

Lots of fun trees!

-jk

I am sure this was not a unique situation: During the 1990s I lived in Bethesda inside the Capital Beltway. There was vacant farmland (imagine!!) across from my house, which was then turned into a development of large and reasonably attractive homes (I hate to use the word "McMansions," but there you have it). There were trees on the development property, and each was given a price tag by Montgomery County ($10,000 for a large white oak, for example). If the tree died for any reason, the developer had to pay and the County would use the funds to replace the tree.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am sure this was not a unique situation: During the 1990s I lived in Bethesda inside the Capital Beltway. There was vacant farmland (imagine!!) across from my house, which was then turned into a development of large and reasonably attractive homes (I hate to use the word "McMansions," but there you have it). There were trees on the development property, and each was given a price tag by Montgomery County ($10,000 for a large white oak, for example). If the tree died for any reason, the developer had to pay and the County would use the funds to replace the tree.
    MoCo has regs for removing - and replacing - "big trees". But what we have is really different. Here's the map of all our town trees. We seem to take it seriously!

-jk