Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Topic is Trees

Is anyone else (particularly east coast) seeing a maple die out lately? Tops of some maples looking bare and lots of short growth on lower limbs but overall sickly.

Ash trees are all dying or dead from the ash borer, I know, but geez, the maples now what's wrong with them?

I've got a lot of trees on this property but of course, the ones closest to the house look the worst.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

We’ve been suffering from oak wilt here in Texas but luckily it has not been too rapid in its spread.

Unchecked mistletoe is killing our red maples.

Will soon be getting them removed, and replace in the fall with heritage apple trees.

Weezie
    Maples are very sensitive to many changes in their environment. Google 'maple decline". Read the Wikipedia section.

Interesting, fuse.

I'm intrigued by the apples but don't they also require a fair amount of tending and trimming?

We don't have mistletoe right here but I've heard the tales.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Weezie
    Maples are very sensitive to many changes in their environment. Google 'maple decline". Read the Wikipedia section.
    Thanks Devilwin. You're the man when it comes to nature and stuff. These maples are along the driveway, removed from the house a fair distance so it's got to be something like that.

Glad to help..

Anyone taking precautions against the Spotted Lantern Fly?

Ground zero was in PA and VA but spreading fast from what I understand. I know we have some on our property, thinking about getting some of those stick bands.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Interesting, fuse.

I'm intrigued by the apples but don't they also require a fair amount of tending and trimming?

We don't have mistletoe right here but I've heard the tales.
    There’s only one way to learn 😳

NC State has a lot of online info.

We had four trees in our front yard- two Bradford pears and 2 red maples. The Bradford pears split so we removed those.

We “harvested” mistletoe for Christmastime from the maples for several years. Its really aggressive, has basically killed the one maple and we see it has spread to the other.

These are probably 30’ maples, maybe bigger.

We’ve learned that apples require cross pollination so we’ll likely end up with 2 apple trees, each a different type. Not sure our yard is quite big enough for four.

I’d also like to do some blueberry and blackberry bush planting.

We had to cut down my mom's favorite maple a couple of years ago. She is still mourning the loss. It was definitely sick. I lost a bunch of Leland cypress last summer b/c of the heat ( and have seen a bunch around town dead as well), but no great loss. I don't like them anyway. Except for greenery at Christmastime. There has also been some kind of crud killing off the cedars, which DOES bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    We had to cut down my mom's favorite maple a couple of years ago. She is still mourning the loss. It was definitely sick. I lost a bunch of Leland cypress last summer b/c of the heat ( and have seen a bunch around town dead as well), but no great loss. I don't like them anyway. Except for greenery at Christmastime. There has also been some kind of crud killing off the cedars, which DOES bother me.
    Cedar apple rust is affecting red cedar in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Anyone taking precautions against the Spotted Lantern Fly?

Ground zero was in PA and VA but spreading fast from what I understand. I know we have some on our property, thinking about getting some of those stick bands.
    Yikes. Yet another invasion to worry about.

Is anyone else (particularly east coast) seeing a maple die out lately? Tops of some maples looking bare and lots of short growth on lower limbs but overall sickly.

Ash trees are all dying or dead from the ash borer, I know, but geez, the maples now what's wrong with them?

I've got a lot of trees on this property but of course, the ones closest to the house look the worst.
    Weezie, How are the 17-year locusts affecting your trees? This is the year for a big surge, and the ends of branches of many kind of trees should be showing their effects.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Cedar apple rust is affecting red cedar in NC.
    I have a cedar in my backyard that is having issues, but I don't see the signature teliohorns associated with cedar apple rust. Just a lot of empty brown branches ending in green tips, where there used to be all green. I think it is likely past saving at this point, but I'm curious what might be wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I have a cedar in my backyard that is having issues, but I don't see the signature teliohorns associated with cedar apple rust. Just a lot of empty brown branches ending in green tips, where there used to be all green. I think it is likely past saving at this point, but I'm curious what might be wrong with it.
    Today I learned what a teliohorn was, and what they look like. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Weezie, How are the 17-year locusts affecting your trees? This is the year for a big surge, and the ends of branches of many kind of trees should be showing their effects.
    I think it's a bit early for the locusts here. I haven't seen any evidence of that kind of damage but you've given me something to watch for. Usually that's more towards August in this part of Virginia.

As long as nobody gets "cut" here, I'm good. I'll relate my brown thumb story a bit later this evening when my wife returns home after some grocery shopping and refreshes some memory details for me .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Check for bagworms?

In certain parts of the country, maple (and other types of hardwood) trees have been "attacked" by Asian Longhorned Beetles. They have killed hundreds of thousands of trees in Massachusetts.

https://www.arborday.org/trees/healt...ned-beetle.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As long as nobody gets "cut" here, I'm good. I'll relate my brown thumb story a bit later this evening when my wife returns home after some grocery shopping and refreshes some memory details for me .
    Ha! I also murdered some of my dad's Leland Cypress trees about 12 years ago by spreading a generous amount of lethal, red-dyed mulch around their bases which only caused small lakes to form instead of retaining a small amount of extra moisture.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.