Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham

    ACC reorganizes governance. University presidents are new BOD. Price vice-chair

    https://theacc.com/news/2020/6/22/ge...w-changes.aspx

    I didn't see this mentioned yet, but this was announced last week. I have to imagine a few things precipitated this change, though obviously am not in the "know" here:

    1) the fast-moving changes regarding player compensation
    2) the boondoggle surrounding the cancelling of the ACCT (not in that it WAS cancelled, but the fact that the league wanted to go ahead over university concerns, until Duke pretty much put their foot down)

    In any case, it seems a move like this is to allow the universities somewhat more direct control over the league, instead of allowing the commissioner essentially free reign (and the release all but says as much)

    enabling the leadership to more effectively engage in best practices across all levels of its governance and administration. In particular, the 15 league presidents and chancellors will now serve as the ACCís Board of Directors and continue to have ultimate authority over all conference affairs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the university presidents also wanted to guarantee that their interests were protected given the challenges of the upcoming year. In any case, it seems to me that a move like this isn't made willy-nilly, but in order to remind the executives of the league who is actually in charge, implying that there may be or have recently been, some major disagreements between Sergeant Swofford and the schools.


    It is good to see that Price is serving as the vice-chair. Maybe he can encourage some rule changes involving tutors completing assignments for athletes.
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    https://theacc.com/news/2020/6/22/ge...w-changes.aspx

    I didn't see this mentioned yet, but this was announced last week. I have to imagine a few things precipitated this change, though obviously am not in the "know" here:

    1) the fast-moving changes regarding player compensation
    2) the boondoggle surrounding the cancelling of the ACCT (not in that it WAS cancelled, but the fact that the league wanted to go ahead over university concerns, until Duke pretty much put their foot down)

    In any case, it seems a move like this is to allow the universities somewhat more direct control over the league, instead of allowing the commissioner essentially free reign (and the release all but says as much)



    I wouldn't be surprised if the university presidents also wanted to guarantee that their interests were protected given the challenges of the upcoming year. In any case, it seems to me that a move like this isn't made willy-nilly, but in order to remind the executives of the league who is actually in charge, implying that there may be or have recently been, some major disagreements between Sergeant Swofford and the schools.


    It is good to see that Price is serving as the vice-chair. Maybe he can encourage some rule changes involving tutors completing assignments for athletes.
    It's interesting that news about this and about Swofford's retirement both come out at just about the same time. Doesn't necessarily mean they're connected, though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It's interesting that news about this and about Swofford's retirement both come out at just about the same time. Doesn't necessarily mean they're connected, though.
    Was wondering. Could make sense to make such a change as the search for a new commish begins.
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    It's interesting that news about this and about Swofford's retirement both come out at just about the same time. Doesn't necessarily mean they're connected, though.
    Yeah. It mentions him being the CEO, I assume that is just until he retires right?

    Who was on the BoD of the ACC before?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yeah. It mentions him being the CEO, I assume that is just until he retires right?

    Who was on the BoD of the ACC before?
    I would assume the commissioner will be the CEO. I would have to look at the actual changes in the bylaws, but I wonder exactly what powers this explicitly grants the board that may not have been so clear before.

    I also want to check if the regular season trophy is still an officially authorized award
    It's being reported that due to coronavirus fears, Harvard has asked students not to return from spring break, and for classes to be held online.

    Not to be outdone, UNC told students to stop coming to class 27 years ago under Dean Smith.

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Presidents Cup
    By Tripping William in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-18-2019, 10:00 AM
  2. Vice
    By Jim3k in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 05:56 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-28-2017, 07:08 AM
  4. Best Duke Presidents
    By johnb in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
  5. Coolest Film Presidents
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •