Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I like what I'm seeing this game, too, but I agree that they still don't really pass the eye test. I do like that we seem to have a plan both on offense and defense, and players don't look at all lost, despite the system change. But we are not a fast team, nor are we a particularly strong team, and we are likely to have some problems against the level of talent we are going to see day-to-day in the ACC. But there is much to enjoy about this team, and there is upset potential in a team unanimously predicted to finish well into the bottom half of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I like what I'm seeing this game, too, but I agree that they still don't really pass the eye test. I do like that we seem to have a plan both on offense and defense, and players don't look at all lost, despite the system change. But we are not a fast team, nor are we a particularly strong team, and we are likely to have some problems against the level of talent we are going to see day-to-day in the ACC. But there is much to enjoy about this team, and there is upset potential in a team unanimously predicted to finish well into the bottom half of the league.
    I think it's unfair to expect to be world beaters year 1. Remember that this is a team largely devoid of top-tier recruits that KL inherited. So if she can get them to play with a plan on both sides of the ball and not look lost, then we already know we have an upgrade at X and O, and the recruiting should improve over time.

I'm just happy to watch what looks like basketball...and any success we have THIS year is just icing.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think it's unfair to expect to be world beaters year 1. Remember that this is a team largely devoid of top-tier recruits that KL inherited. So if she can get them to play with a plan on both sides of the ball and not look lost, then we already know we have an upgrade at X and O, and the recruiting should improve over time.

I'm just happy to watch what looks like basketball...and any success we have THIS year is just icing.
    I agree completely, and just to be clear, my expectations were not for this team to be anything but what they are: A team very much in a rebuild, but who may have a chance to exceed the low expectations. Recruiting is everything, and exceeding expectations will be exactly the way to reinvigorate it.

I'm happy to see marked progress in the fundamentals of ball-handling and passing, in the defensive intensity, and in the ball movement by the team as a whole. But easily the most impressive development to me is the transformative improvement of Jade Williams, who is showing agility, hustle, a nose for the ball, and court savvy on both ends that far surpasses what we saw from her in the past.

I miss the tractor offense. (I'll just drag my butt out of here.)

83-56 final. Solid game by Duke.

I'll throw my 2 cents into the discussion. I know it's early, but this team has far exceeded my expectations. This is going to be a fun ride over the next several years as Kara develops and builds her program, so get on the bus early. We really need Boykin back to have a shot at making some noise this year.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 11-29-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We'll see what happens when the real season starts. I am so happy to not see 20 seconds of pounding the ball into the floor, then looking to pass to the post and generally turning the ball over. Lawson has them moving the ball. Much more exciting offense than the past. Defense still looks vulnerable to the 3. Hope to get some help from the hospital ward--this team does not have enough talent to win with only 8 players. But I agree that losing with this team will be easier to take than losing with the same old, same old.

OK, DWBB fans. Last time TriadDukeFan found a postgame video link at Youtube for Longwood. Hope s/he or someone can find one for us Xfinity-blinded fans to see Western Carolina. Looks like a fun game to watch. I note that de Jesus is getting airtime/star treatment by the Spanish networks for her Longwood game

Remember we haven't seen this team with Boykin. She's the best player on the team. But I like what I've seen so far, very much so. I like the cut of Lawson's jib. We're seeing more movement, more cohesion, more tempo than has been the case in recent years. Note that Duke had only nine turnovers today. Sure it was a mid-major but I think we can all recall some recent games against mid-majors with a lot more turnovers than that.

As an aside, I asked Lawson today if she had any plans to add anyone to the roster, which is now down to nine players. The answer was no.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    OK, DWBB fans. Last time TriadDukeFan found a postgame video link at Youtube for Longwood. Hope s/he or someone can find one for us Xfinity-blinded fans to see Western Carolina. Looks like a fun game to watch. I note that de Jesus is getting airtime/star treatment by the Spanish networks for her Longwood game
    This channel has alot of full replay of women's games... I guess as long as Duke plays on the ACC Network.. he will post them soon afterwards. I'm not sure if he will do it for the games that are stream-only. And I'm a he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihW4JafwgXA

Here are just the highlights of De Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiapXrmnJ8

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Here are just the highlights of De Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiapXrmnJ8
    check out the beautiful play De Jesus makes around the 50 second mark taking the ball the length of the court on a transition play and making a perfect bounce pass off the dribble to hit a breaking Jade in full stride between 2 defenders for the easy layup.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

These two games don’t really tell us much, and I don’t think the Louisville game will tell us much (the talent disparity is just too great). Let’s see how we look against the likes of FSU and Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I don’t think the Louisville game will tell us much (the talent disparity is just too great).
    we only lost by 5 at their place last year. That said, they have lost four of their top 6 scorers, and their top three rebounders. That said, their two freshmen are very highly rated and have played well so far. Unfortunately the sport will have been cheated out of their matchup with connecticut next week.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

I agree this is basketball with plays and strategies. DeJesus is a wnner from Valencia. Cal Arts has a campus there. Finishing scool for Animators Production Designers etc.

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-bas...de-jesus/16365
    Filipina went to Sierra Canyon where Stanley went and Bronnie James is a student.
    Nice that they have plays and strategies. Coach P recruited DeJesus but will not miss her at all. McCallie does not know opponents names just numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Coach P recruited DeJesus but will not miss her at all. McCallie does not know opponents names just numbers.
    She's gone. Will you give it a rest, already?

A player I haven't seen mentioned much in the post-game is Onome Akinbode-James. She has really become a rebounding machine. She doesn't do a lot offensively, but still managed 4-6 from inside the arc, and she finished her second straight game with double-digit rebounding. Most importantly, she played 25 minutes and accumulated exactly zero fouls. We've heard a lot in her first couple of years about how short a time it's been since she learned the game of basketball, but I think we are starting to move past that into wondering where her top end is. She is much more court-aware and in control than she has been in years past. Granted, it's not top-level competition, yet, but she looks very much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    A player I haven't seen mentioned much in the post-game is Onome Akinbode-James. She has really become a rebounding machine.
    I agree with Phredd. Onome averaged 11.5 and 13.5 in these two games, which is great no matter the competition.

Also, Jade Williams led the team in assists in *both* games, this time with 8 (!). For the two games, she’s averaging 10.5 and 10, with 7apg, which is outstanding.

After the Longwood game, someone said our guards were great but our forwards needed work. I think a lot of people are selling our forwards short.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke has one vote in the latest AP rankings.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke has one vote in the latest AP rankings.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    Steve Spurrier, no doubt.

Feeling myself getting excited about DWBB again. I'm hoping DBR fans give coach and team to grow. So far so good on both.

GoDuke!