Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The only negative I’d mention is that I thought Sara Anastasieska had a tough first game. Four out of the team’s 16 turnovers, and some defensive miscues.
    She should figure it out. She's smart, right? Berkeley/Duke. Would you rather have a smart player or a dumb player? (sorry, a little "fun" from the Presidential thread)

Edit to add: No video, but here are the post-game quotes from the Coach, OAJ, and Jaida.

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/11...ood_Nov_25.pdf

Ugh! Trying to make the replay work. After I go through the setup with Xfinity, and everything is set, the link to the game is dead. Darn!

Boykin day-to-day. Not expected to be a long-term problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Boykin day-to-day. Not expected to be a long-term problem.
    Good news. Thanks Jim.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Ugh! Trying to make the replay work. After I go through the setup with Xfinity, and everything is set, the link to the game is dead. Darn!

Here is the full game, without commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo342rdTgSA

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Here is the full game, without commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo342rdTgSA
    Thank you so much. I very much enjoyed watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Re A/TO, we had 19A/16TO, but I believe 6 of the TOs were in the 4th quarter. Things can get sloppy in a blowout.

I know it's only one game, but in last year's first game against a similarly out-womanned opponent (93-57 score), we had 12A/16TO. On the year we had 417A vs. 546TO. So it's promising start.
    With 7 minutes to play, we already had 14 turnovers, so I'm not sure the "sloppy in a blowout" excuse entirely works. A bigger concern for me is that we only forced 9 turnovers against a Big South team.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Jaida Patrick was a revelation. Wow, where did that come from. She is quick and was knocking down jumpers all over and on the move. Our new freshman point guard was really solid and confident. If we can get Boykin back and healthy our backcourt will be able to compete with just about anyone. Our frontcourt, on the other hand looks slow, mechanical and limited.
    I agree that Jaida dominated this game (everybody's mentioning her scoring, but she also had 7 rebounds and 5 assists) and it was fun to watch. But I think you're selling our frontcourt short. Jade had 12 points, 5 rebounds and led the team with 6 assists (!), in just 21 minutes. Onome had 15 points and 16 (!) rebounds in 25 minutes. I get that the opponent was small, but those are two pretty strong performances, and frankly the only big who looked a tad slow was Uchenna, but even she looked vastly improved from last season.

Nice to see it, even if two days late. The team looks to be working together. The passing was terrific. There is talent there and I think Kara knows how to use it. Both de Jesus and Goodchild are very quick and excellent ballhandlers. I liked the overall scoring balance. Finally, Patrick is a pleasant surprise. This team is not a bottom-dweller. Dunno how high they can go, but if Boykin can return and add her power, this team can do very well.

I hope Anastasieska didn't suffer a concussion and that she is OK. She looks like a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree that Jaida dominated this game (everybody's mentioning her scoring, but she also had 7 rebounds and 5 assists) and it was fun to watch. But I think you're selling our frontcourt short. Jade had 12 points, 5 rebounds and led the team with 6 assists (!), in just 21 minutes. Onome had 15 points and 16 (!) rebounds in 25 minutes. I get that the opponent was small, but those are two pretty strong performances, and frankly the only big who looked a tad slow was Uchenna, but even she looked vastly improved from last season.
    I hear you, but for me, they didn't pass the eye test. Let's see how they do against competent competition. I hope you are right. Go Duke!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I hear you, but for me, they didn't pass the eye test. Let's see how they do against competent competition. I hope you are right. Go Duke!
    that's always the problem with women's basketball. the "slope" (for golf nuts) is just so high.

in this case, i wouldn't judge the first game with a new system while trying to get things togethet under a pandemic too harshly.

in other acc news...

ND lost today to ohio by 1. Like for duke, can't judge a new coach too hard in their first game in this kind of environment, but the neile ivey regime has gotten off on the wrong foot.

kara lawson 1, niele ivey 0
    1200. DDMF.

"The Duke women’s basketball game slated for Sunday, November 27, against Western Carolina University has been moved to a 12 p.m., tip and aired live on the ACC Network."

Email from Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "The Duke women’s basketball game slated for Sunday, November 27, against Western Carolina University has been moved to a 12 p.m., tip and aired live on the ACC Network."

Email from Duke.
    Guessing they mean tomorrow the 28th since if it was the 27th it would be over by the time you posted this?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Guessing they mean tomorrow the 28th since if it was the 27th it would be over by the time you posted this?
    Actually, I think they mean Sunday the 29th. There's no way they're hosting a women's game at noon and a men's game at 2.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Actually, I think they mean Sunday the 29th. There's no way they're hosting a women's game at noon and a men's game at 2.
    "The Duke women’s basketball game slated for one day this weekend, against Western Carolina University has been moved to a 12 p.m., tip and aired live on the ACC Network."

Email from Duke.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The game was always scheduled for Sunday. Tip-off was moved from 2 P.M to noon.

No Boykin again today against Western Carolina. Sore knee again. I'm officially worried. We really need her this year.

Duke is off to a fast start against the Catamounts 20-7 early.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

That was a pretty damn impressive offensive quarter. Fantastic ball movement, taking advantage of a size advantage for OBoards...pretty much perfect.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

43-23 at the half. Freshman point guard De Jesus has 17 and has not missed a shot, including 3 three pointers. Wow!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke starts the half w/ 3 straight threes. Sweet.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke starts the half w/ 3 straight threes. Sweet.
    and UNC is getting slaughtered by highpoint with 3:20 left in 1Q. You hate to see it
    1200. DDMF.