Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Where is Boykin?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Where is Boykin?
    I haven't gotten a great look, but I think she's the one on the bench with a crutch. If true, I'm heartbroken for her.

Edit: Announcers just confirmed that she is out due to a "sore knee".
    Last edited by Phredd3; 11-25-2020 at 12:30 PM.

They just said. Sore knee. Damn.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I just saw this on GoDuke.com. " Duke women's basketball sophomore forward Jennifer Ezeh will be sidelined for a second consecutive year after suffering another knee injury during practice on Saturday."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Because you know you’re wondering ...

Eight turnovers in the first half, but I don’t remember any that were cringe-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Eight turnovers in the first half, but I don’t remember any that were cringe-worthy.
    And that's with a freshman point. I'm only looking at the box score, is she the primary ballhandler?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Seven assists help to balance the passing. I'd like to have a positive ratio, but seven assists on seventeen made buckets is a pretty good start.

And yet another knee issue for Ezeh. Argh. Does it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And that's with a freshman point. I'm only looking at the box score, is she the primary ballhandler?
    Pretty much, yes, although she's been scoring more than assisting. Jaida Patrick is the surprise. She has 10 points (one shy of her career high) and 3 assists in the first half. Our defense seemed to get tired in the second quarter. We still won the quarter, but allowed 19 v. allowing 10 in the first.

thank god sara's injury is not another leg. not that head/neck injuries are GOOD...but i was like "oh god...here we go again"
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    thank god sara's injury is not another leg. not that head/neck injuries are GOOD...but i was like "oh god...here we go again"
    Pretty clearly a concussion. Hopefully a minor one, since we only have eight players available, even including her.

I watched some of the game. Good to see the women playing MTM.

The background sound seemed odd and annoying to me. I think they were piping in a low hum that didn't seem adjusted to what was happening on the floor. It didn't sound right to me at all. The piped in crowd noise that I've heard at football games has sounded much better -- more natural, even if it is artificial. What I heard today wasn't enough to disguise the shouting that the players and coaches were doing. I don't think we want the world hearing what Coach K is saying. This needs work before Saturday.

What a fun game to watch. 94 points, and decent, if not truly stifling, defense. Did we play zone even once? I don't think I saw us do that. De Jesus looked really, really good in her debut. She has really good ball control and pretty fair court awareness, too. Granted this is Longwood, but I liked what I saw.

Agree about the "crowd noise", which seems more like a white noise generator than anything. I could do without that completely. That's just for the broadcast, correct? They can't actually run background sound in Cameron, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I watched some of the game. Good to see the women playing MTM.

The background sound seemed odd and annoying to me. I think they were piping in a low hum that didn't seem adjusted to what was happening on the floor. It didn't sound right to me at all. The piped in crowd noise that I've heard at football games has sounded much better -- more natural, even if it is artificial. What I heard today wasn't enough to disguise the shouting that the players and coaches were doing. I don't think we want the world hearing what Coach K is saying. This needs work before Saturday.
    i'm surprised they're allowed to at all, as artificial noise is generally not allowed during gameplay. I don't THINK it is, but are we sure they're not just adding the sound to the TV feed?

Either way, I assume they have some rules on how loud the sound is allowed to be, and undoubtedly it will never replicate the crazies.
    1200. DDMF.

Re A/TO, we had 19A/16TO, but I believe 6 of the TOs were in the 4th quarter. Things can get sloppy in a blowout.

I know it's only one game, but in last year's first game against a similarly out-womanned opponent (93-57 score), we had 12A/16TO. On the year we had 417A vs. 546TO. So it's promising start.

Also, Miela was the only player under 50% from the field. So as she warms up, another good sign for the team.

Edit: Now for the all-important post-game presser!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Re A/TO, we had 19A/16TO, but I believe 6 of the TOs were in the 4th quarter. Things can get sloppy in a blowout.

I know it's only one game, but in last year's first game against a similarly out-womanned opponent (93-57 score), we had 12A/16TO. On the year we had 417A vs. 546TO. So it's promising start.
    for sure. hard to know much for sure given it's the first game with a new coach/system. Greatly looking forward to that matchup in a couple weeks with UL
    1200. DDMF.

Jaida Patrick was a revelation. Wow, where did that come from. She is quick and was knocking down jumpers all over and on the move. Our new freshman point guard was really solid and confident. If we can get Boykin back and healthy our backcourt will be able to compete with just about anyone. Our frontcourt, on the other hand looks slow, mechanical and limited.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

i'm surprised they're allowed to at all, as artificial noise is generally not allowed during gameplay. I don't THINK it is, but are we sure they're not just adding the sound to the TV feed?

Either way, I assume they have some rules on how loud the sound is allowed to be, and undoubtedly it will never replicate the crazies.
    The NCAA is allowing piped in crowd noise subject to some decibel limitations. I'm pretty sure there was some background artificial hum today.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The NCAA is allowing piped in crowd noise subject to some decibel limitations. I'm pretty sure there was some background artificial hum today.
    yeah. i just wasn't certain that it wasn't just added to the TV feed...but was pretty sure it was live.

there was at least one time it did a shot-clock count down...though frankly, I'd prefer just to hear the court noise and could skip the fake crowd.
    1200. DDMF.

I was in meeting for most of the game but did catch about 15 minutes of real time. De Jesus looked great for her first game. The style of play seemed much faster paced than under coach P which is welcomed in my book. Looking forward to more games.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Arrow

yeah. i just wasn't certain that it wasn't just added to the TV feed...but was pretty sure it was live.

there was at least one time it did a shot-clock count down...though frankly, I'd prefer just to hear the court noise and could skip the fake crowd.
    I thought the count down was the players on the bench.

Good start, but as usual, too many injuries (maybe it was not P’s fault.). Two more ACLs (Ezeh and Adams) in practice, and Boykin (hopefully short term.). We only have eight eligible players right now, let’s hope no more injuries.

Strong effort from most players. Miela was playing point for a good part of the game, she apparently worked hard over the summer improving her all-around game. de Jesus had a very good first start, controlling the ball when Miela didn’t (and a good part when both were in.) Onome had what I thought was a quiet double-double (admittedly I was distracted for much of the game by a one year old.). And, of course, Jade and Jaida and Jada (wanted to type that) all were solid.

The only negative I’d mention is that I thought Sara Anastasieska had a tough first game. Four out of the team’s 16 turnovers, and some defensive miscues.