Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Duke gets a commitment from top 25 recruit Guard Ashlon Jackson today. A big get from a player recruited by UConn Louisville and others

^ can i borrow a microscope?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ can i borrow a microscope?
    yeah i super appreciate the work that goes into it, I just wish I could read any of it
    1200. DDMF.

3 Duke WBB players have entered the transfer portal

It appears that 3 Duke WBB players have entered the transfer portal:
    Mikayla Boykin
    Sara Anastasieska
    Jayda Adams
    https://twitter.com/ariivory/status/1352833896904339458

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    It appears that 3 Duke WBB players have entered the transfer portal:
    Mikayla Boykin
    Sara Anastasieska
    Jayda Adams
    https://twitter.com/ariivory/status/1352833896904339458
    Boykin and Adams both graduated HS in 2017, so they should be getting their degrees this spring. Anastasieska was a grad transfer this year. If there is March Madness in 5 or 6 weeks, and they are immediately eligible (I have no idea), I can't imagine any competitive team blowing up their chemistry at this point in the season by inserting newcomers.

Plus a quick search does not confirm this news from any major source.

Sara confirms on twitter. I've seen nothing on the others.

https://twitter.com/AnastasieskaS/st...387590/photo/2

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    While of course there is no way to know how our ACC season would have shaken out, we do know how Carolina's is going.
    In short...badly.

They are 8-7 overall, with each of those losses coming in conference play, placing them at 3-7 in the ACC. Their chances of a post season are next to nil.

In hindsight, I'm very ok with UNC getting Banghart as their coach.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While of course there is no way to know how our ACC season would have shaken out, we do know how Carolina's is going.
    In short...badly.

They are 8-7 overall, with each of those losses coming in conference play, placing them at 3-7 in the ACC. Their chances of a post season are next to nil.

In hindsight, I'm very ok with UNC getting Banghart as their coach.
    were she at almost any other school, I would give her the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances this year....
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    were she at almost any other school, I would give her the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances this year...
    Well, she had a full season last year, too, and that was a disastrous start. She has players now that are from her first recruiting class, which was the 11th in the country, so it's not like she doesn't have talent on her court.
    Next year will be her biggest test, since this year she signed the #2 class.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Interesting times

While I wouldn't bet against Duke or UNC long term, things will continue to be really competitive in the ACC. In 2020 the conference had 5 top 20 recruiting classes:

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2020

For 2021 it's six at this point:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...na-starts-no-1

As we all know, great recruiting in WBB does not always translate into great success, so the next couple of seasons in the ACC should be pretty interesting all around. For the time being, I'm not used to State having the best team in the triangle and seeing ND with a mediocre team, but who knows how this will shake out.

For those following WBB at all this year, the season is absolutely bonkers, with what will be the fifth No. 1

USC
    Stanford
    UL
    USC

and now
    Uconn

I think there are probably a dozen teams who could make a run at the title.
    1200. DDMF.

Haley Gorecki was just invited to Seattle camp and this will have another shot to compete for a roster spot after getting cut last year

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Haley Gorecki was just invited to Seattle camp and this will have another shot to compete for a roster spot after getting cut last year
    Hey, nice! It'll be tough to play onto that roster, but at least she'll get a real chance this time around. It had to be really disappointing to get cut before even seeing anyone on the team in person last year.

Transfers

Resurrecting the thread to point out that transfers aren't just a men's thing. Duke had another player enter the transfer portal today, Jennifer Ezeh. Ezeh spent two years on the roster and had yet to play in a game for Duke. That brings the list of transfers to (in order of exit):

Mikayla Boykin - Starting PG
    Sara Anastasieska - Reserve SG (transfered in last season)
    Jayda Adams - Reserve PG (out last season with a knee injury)
    Jaida Patrick - Starting/reserve combo guard
    Jada Claude - Reserve PF
    Jennifer Ezeh - Injured PF

At this point we have just five scholarship players on the roster, and that's assuming the graduating Jade Williams returns to play next year, which she has not announced and which I understand she is not expected to do. We also have two incoming freshman commits, and one walk-on.

I've not heard anything about transfers in, and it is largely too late to grab incoming freshman that would be contributors next year.

I know coaching changes often prompt a lot of players leaving, but the extent of the exodus is surprising and, frankly, concerning. At this point it would be nice to hear something from the school, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

I know coaching changes often prompt a lot of players leaving, but the extent of the exodus is surprising and, frankly, concerning. At this point it would be nice to hear something from the school, IMO.
    it's not surprising to me at least that players watching other teams have their season want to go play. The season was cancelled, bonds weren't formed, opportunities were missed. What do you want the school to say?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's not surprising to me at least that players watching other teams have their season want to go play. The season was cancelled, bonds weren't formed, opportunities were missed. What do you want the school to say?
    Tell us they are aware of what it looks like. Explain a little bit about what is going on, and, hopefully, tell us they have a plan in place. Six players later, it's not a coincidence. What are we doing to address it? I have to think it looks really bad on the recruiting trail, too. Surely some kind of statement would help with that aspect, too, even if any statement is bound to be quite vague, at least admit there's an issue. Even just thanking the exiting players for their time at Duke would be helpful to try to show that we aren't running them off.

The look here is really terrible, IMO.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 03-16-2021 at 02:57 PM.

I mean, clearly we were suffering from a glut of Jayda/Jaida/Jada/Jade players, glad we cleared that logjam. I believe in the new coach and her ability to recruit a diversity of talent and first names.

Resurrecting the thread to point out that transfers aren't just a men's thing. Duke had another player enter the transfer portal today, Jennifer Ezeh. Ezeh spent two years on the roster and had yet to play in a game for Duke. That brings the list of transfers to (in order of exit):

Mikayla Boykin - Starting PG
    Sara Anastasieska - Reserve SG (transfered in last season)
    Jayda Adams - Reserve PG (out last season with a knee injury)
    Jaida Patrick - Starting/reserve combo guard
    Jada Claude - Reserve PF
    Jennifer Ezeh - Injured PF

At this point we have just five scholarship players on the roster, and that's assuming the graduating Jade Williams returns to play next year, which she has not announced and which I understand she is not expected to do. We also have two incoming freshman commits, and one walk-on.

I've not heard anything about transfers in, and it is largely too late to grab incoming freshman that would be contributors next year.

Tell us they are aware of what it looks like. Explain a little bit about what is going on, and, hopefully, tell us they have a plan in place. Six players later, it's not a coincidence. What are we doing to address it? I have to think it looks really bad on the recruiting trail, too. Surely some kind of statement would help with that aspect, too, even if any statement is bound to be quite vague, at least admit there's an issue. Even just thanking the exiting players for their time at Duke would be helpful to try to show that we aren't running them off.

The look here is really terrible, IMO.
    New coach comes in, holdover players leave. This happens all the time, men, women, different sports, especially in today's transfer-friendly environment. Unless you know something the rest of us don't, a statement by the administration does not seem warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    New coach comes in, holdover players leave. This happens all the time, men, women, different sports, especially in today's transfer-friendly environment. Unless you know something the rest of us don't, a statement by the administration does not seem warranted.
    yeah. I mean, maybe if they had a season some might have been sold and stuck it out, but given they're no longer being coached by the person they thought they were going to be playing for, are we surprised that they are taking advantage of a free transfer? especially when Lawson made it clear by rescinding some offers that she is going in a different direction?

The concern to me isn't that some of these guys are moving on, but in filling out the class for next year, which as Phredd points out, is on the slim side.
    1200. DDMF.