Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So DWBB will have two top 5 opponents in a row, with a shot at 3 if the UNCW game gets cancelled. So ummmm, yikes.
    good. That's the goal. No sense shying away from them.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    So DWBB will have two top 5 opponents in a row, with a shot at 3 if the UNCW game gets cancelled. So ummmm, yikes.
    If it hadn't been for a 28-9 4th quarter today, State would have lost to BC.
    Final was 75-69.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it hadn't been for a 28-9 4th quarter today, State would have lost to BC.
    Final was 75-69.
    28-9 quarters still count. If we'd had one of those against Louisville, we'd have won.

Gonna be a tough as nails challenge, but at least some members of this squad remember winning last year against them.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

NCAA to play women's NCAA basketball tournament at one site, eyes San Antonio

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...es-san-antonio
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In the replacement game, Miami eked out the win over Carolina today, leaving the Heels at 0-2 in conference play.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media...oan/index.html

(FWIW, UNC was on the cusp of being ranked)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

In the replacement game, Miami eked out the win over Carolina today, leaving the Heels at 0-2 in conference play.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/media...oan/index.html

(FWIW, UNC was on the cusp of being ranked)
    I think you inserted the wrong link.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I think you inserted the wrong link.
    HA! Yes. "Ctrl-C" does not always like to copy that which I've got highlighted.
    Enjoy your dose of politics in the WBB thread.

And I think the women's basketball team has the misfortune of being the first competition-related victims of the pandemic at Duke. Very unfortunate. I hope the spread is contained, and the infected, whomever they are, make a quick and full recovery.

Also, of course, it may not be competition-related. But the post-Louisville timing seems pretty indicative.

The Duke women's basketball program has paused all team-related activities indefinitely due to two positive COVID-19 tests and precautionary contact tracing measures among individuals within the travel party.
    Damn. Hopefully nobody is symptomatic.

PS...if this is from playing Louisville, that would be a pretty remarkable example of the virus' ability to spread.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    If/when the season resumes, Jiselle Havas will be able to play. The NCAA granted all transfers the right to play this season. (I assume she asked for a waiver like most other transfers.)

She’ll probably play about as much as Mercedes Riggs did her second year, but at least we have ten healthy players even if Jiselle and Uchenna are unlikely to play important minutes.

Nyah Green, a redshirt freshman 6'1" guard at Louisville and a 2019 McDonald's All American is transferring to Duke! Welcome Nyah.

https://twitter.com/NyahGreen3117/st...75824500879367
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Nyah Green, a redshirt freshman 6'1" guard at Louisville and a 2019 McDonald's All American is transferring to Duke! Welcome Nyah.

She owes it to us, she killed our season!

Sarcasm of course...welcome to Duke, Nyah! I'm assuming that she'll get 4 years with us?

She owes it to us, she killed our season!

Sarcasm of course...welcome to Duke, Nyah! I'm assuming that she'll get 4 years with us?
    i would assume so? She's also immediately eligible
    April 1

Huge pickup. Instant offense. 5 star kid from Texas.

Committed to Louisville in the freaking 8th grade so a transfer during a panny after a redshirt year isn't that surprising.

Could be a nice anchor for the next few years.

I suspect Coach L will be a demon on the recruiting trail.

That's great news and I'm anxious to see her on the court for us. My excitement for Duke women's basketball continues to grow as the future is bright.

Lawson got to Duke too late to make any inroads with the top players in the class of 2021. There just weren't that many available options. So, the plan was to concentrate on transfers for the short term, while building bridges to the class of 2022. Seems to be working and I'm pretty sure we'll see some more transfers for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Lawson got to Duke too late to make any inroads with the top players in the class of 2021. There just weren't that many available options. So, the plan was to concentrate on transfers for the short term, while building bridges to the class of 2022. Seems to be working and I'm pretty sure we'll see some more transfers for next season.
    yeah it made perfect sense. someone like Azzi was such a low probability (like how many zeros do you want after the decimal point low) that it didn't make sense to spend resources there.

That said, on our current trajectory, I think it's probably only a year or two that we could be in the conversation for that kind of player again.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As always, appreciative of your insight. It's not always easy to sight the long term as fans, but it's a pleasant surprise when there is a short term payoff included. (This one sounds like a good mix of both.)