Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
And why your snark about Onome’s game. Did you watch her play at all?

You seem to be caught up in stats, well, here’s some more.

She started almost all the games since coming to Duke. You dismiss her rebounding, but she had the highest rate per minute on the team all three seasons, better than Haley or Leaonna. She appears sound on defense and gets good rebounding positioning. This season, in those four games, she was far better than the non-conference opponents, and her rebound rate did go up. It also helped that we were playing M2MDefense instead of zone. But steady improvement. Offensively, I didn’t see enough of her as a primary player to know if she had made a lot of progress. Her first two years, Haley and Leaonna were more of the focus, so she (and Jade) were not expected to score as much.

Uchenna, on the other hand, was always going to be a project. She was not in great shape and missed the opportunity to get better after her freshman year due to her knee injury.
Where's the snark? I'm caught up in stats? Then let's just get rid of the score. After all, it's just a stat. Now there's some snark. There's a difference.

It's simply facts. I've already pointed out the terrible records of those three teams against lousy competition. In addition, Longwood didn't have a starter over 5'11". Western Carolina started 5 guards, none over 6'0". East Carolina, AHA! Finally! A starter at 6'3", though the rest of the team was 5'11" and under. She better rebound against the likes of those.

As far as starting, look at the competition on the roster the past few years. Our recruiting has been terrible.

Look, I'm just being honest if we want a return to glory. Onome is actually one of my favorite players, because she is obviously a hard worker who has outperformed expectations. But I'm not going to say our frontcourt woes are solved by a 4-game stretch against mostly outmatched competition, when I have a 60-game sample to compare it against.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
I wasn't being snarky. If Uchenna is leaving the program, we clearly need another big. I was essentially saying, "Never mind," but it's hard to convey an Emily Litella voice in an internet post.

But I also don't understand why you're so down on Jade and Onome. I think they're both quite capable of contributing to a top 25 team, so I don't feel like I'm clearly in the wrong.
Then my apologies, it came across dismissive. I am not down on Jade and Onome, but we are severely overmatched in the frontcourt with just the two of them. See Onome above, and she averaged barely over 20 minutes per game the past two years. Jade has underperformed for the #14 recruit, and I am very hopeful that she was just badly misused up 'til now. My point was that we suddenly have a relative glut of talent at guard, but if we want to compete in the ACC we need immediate help inside.