Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    And why your snark about Onome’s game. Did you watch her play at all?

You seem to be caught up in stats, well, here’s some more.

She started almost all the games since coming to Duke. You dismiss her rebounding, but she had the highest rate per minute on the team all three seasons, better than Haley or Leaonna. She appears sound on defense and gets good rebounding positioning. This season, in those four games, she was far better than the non-conference opponents, and her rebound rate did go up. It also helped that we were playing M2MDefense instead of zone. But steady improvement. Offensively, I didn’t see enough of her as a primary player to know if she had made a lot of progress. Her first two years, Haley and Leaonna were more of the focus, so she (and Jade) were not expected to score as much.

Uchenna, on the other hand, was always going to be a project. She was not in great shape and missed the opportunity to get better after her freshman year due to her knee injury.
    Where's the snark? I'm caught up in stats? Then let's just get rid of the score. After all, it's just a stat. Now there's some snark. There's a difference.

It's simply facts. I've already pointed out the terrible records of those three teams against lousy competition. In addition, Longwood didn't have a starter over 5'11". Western Carolina started 5 guards, none over 6'0". East Carolina, AHA! Finally! A starter at 6'3", though the rest of the team was 5'11" and under. She better rebound against the likes of those.

As far as starting, look at the competition on the roster the past few years. Our recruiting has been terrible.

Look, I'm just being honest if we want a return to glory. Onome is actually one of my favorite players, because she is obviously a hard worker who has outperformed expectations. But I'm not going to say our frontcourt woes are solved by a 4-game stretch against mostly outmatched competition, when I have a 60-game sample to compare it against.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I wasn't being snarky. If Uchenna is leaving the program, we clearly need another big. I was essentially saying, "Never mind," but it's hard to convey an Emily Litella voice in an internet post.

But I also don't understand why you're so down on Jade and Onome. I think they're both quite capable of contributing to a top 25 team, so I don't feel like I'm clearly in the wrong.
    Then my apologies, it came across dismissive. I am not down on Jade and Onome, but we are severely overmatched in the frontcourt with just the two of them. See Onome above, and she averaged barely over 20 minutes per game the past two years. Jade has underperformed for the #14 recruit, and I am very hopeful that she was just badly misused up 'til now. My point was that we suddenly have a relative glut of talent at guard, but if we want to compete in the ACC we need immediate help inside.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Where's the snark? I'm caught up in stats? Then let's just get rid of the score. After all, it's just a stat. Now there's some snark. There's a difference.

It's simply facts. I've already pointed out the terrible records of those three teams against lousy competition. In addition, Longwood didn't have a starter over 5'11". Western Carolina started 5 guards, none over 6'0". East Carolina, AHA! Finally! A starter at 6'3", though the rest of the team was 5'11" and under. She better rebound against the likes of those.

As far as starting, look at the competition on the roster the past few years. Our recruiting has been terrible.

Look, I'm just being honest if we want a return to glory. Onome is actually one of my favorite players, because she is obviously a hard worker who has outperformed expectations. But I'm not going to say our frontcourt woes are solved by a 4-game stretch against mostly outmatched competition, when I have a 60-game sample to compare it against.

Then my apologies, it came across dismissive. I am not down on Jade and Onome, but we are severely overmatched in the frontcourt with just the two of them. See Onome above, and she averaged barely over 20 minutes per game the past two years. Jade has underperformed for the #14 recruit, and I am very hopeful that she was just badly misused up 'til now. My point was that we suddenly have a relative glut of talent at guard, but if we want to compete in the ACC we need immediate help inside.
    Read the section you quoted from me. I acknowledged that Onome was more talented than the players on the first three teams we played (everybody but Louisville.) However, during the Louisville game, she grabbed 10 rebounds against a top eight team.

My read of your previous posts has been that you've dismissed or at least underrated the talents of our returning bigs, Jade and Onome, by quoting previous stats. My apologies for the wrong read.

I don't disagree that we're short (pun intended) in the front-court, that was true even if Uchenna was returning. (Our one signee for next season, Lee Volker, is another tall guard.) But we have two ACC caliper players there, which is a good start. I do hope we get another front-court transfer, but even if we don't, we should have good guard play. And the two transfers, from Louisville and Texas, are both listed at 6'1", so we'll have some size out there if/when Jade and Onome need to sit (as you mentioned, Onome has averaged just over 20 minutes a game in her career, fairly consistent over two seasons and four games (does last year count as a season?)

I'm finally catching up on things and just wanted to say welcome to Duke, Celeste Taylor! What a nice pickup she'll be. The highlights of her look very promising. Tall and cagey off the dribble, with a nice outside game to go with it. She reminds me a lot of Haley Gorecki, actually, but perhaps more overtly athletic, and a little less inclined to drive against traffic. Really nice.

I think because Kara was a guard, it has been easier for her to recruit guards/wings to the team. I agree that we should be looking for one more, though. Even if we play four out (which I think is pretty likely, given who we have on the team right now), we're probably going to need to be able to go with a two-big lineup against some teams. That means we need three capable posts, which we do not have at the moment. No offense to Uchenna, who has worked very hard to get into better shape and has notably improved her game, but she still hasn't shown that she is really capable of keeping up with ACC-level talent. I would very much hope for a breakthrough if she does stay, of course, but I think whether or not she is here, we need another capable post.

But meanwhile, I really like how things are shaping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm finally catching up on things and just wanted to say welcome to Duke, Celeste Taylor! What a nice pickup she'll be. The highlights of her look very promising. Tall and cagey off the dribble, with a nice outside game to go with it. She reminds me a lot of Haley Gorecki, actually, but perhaps more overtly athletic, and a little less inclined to drive against traffic. Really nice.

I think because Kara was a guard, it has been easier for her to recruit guards/wings to the team. I agree that we should be looking for one more, though. Even if we play four out (which I think is pretty likely, given who we have on the team right now), we're probably going to need to be able to go with a two-big lineup against some teams. That means we need three capable posts, which we do not have at the moment. No offense to Uchenna, who has worked very hard to get into better shape and has notably improved her game, but she still hasn't shown that she is really capable of keeping up with ACC-level talent. I would very much hope for a breakthrough if she does stay, of course, but I think whether or not she is here, we need another capable post.

But meanwhile, I really like how things are shaping up.
    Nwoke is no longer part of the program.

Duke is working on bringing in some size for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Duke is working on bringing in some size for next season.
    I didn't realize the Nwoke thing was final at this point, but as I said, I don't think it matters from a team success point of view. Thanks for the insight, especially on the search.

Amaya Finklea-Guity will play for Duke next season as a grad student. 6-4, Syracuse grad, much-needed post depth.

https://twitter.com/AmayaFinklea/sta...63171630022659

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Amaya Finklea-Guity will play for Duke next season as a grad student. 6-4, Syracuse grad, much-needed post depth.

https://twitter.com/AmayaFinklea/sta...63171630022659
    Coach Kara seems to be having a very nice off-season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Coach Kara seems to be having a very nice off-season.

She still needs to add some additional pieces. And intends to.

Good info from the Chronicle on our newest addition.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ty-kara-lawson
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

A couple of kinda interesting things that tangentially (and I'm being very liberal with that term) touch DMensBB.

Vivian Stringer just got a 5-year extension at Rutgers. She's 73. So maybe Coach K has another 8-10 years in him, he can do better than that.

UConn assistant Shea Ralph just took the top job at Vandy. I thought (no true knowledge) she was coach-in-waiting at UConn, so it looks like Geno is gonna stick around for a while. Or maybe she was told to go get some head coaching experience. Wonder what the guys on our bench, one in particular, are being told.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    A couple of kinda interesting things that tangentially (and I'm being very liberal with that term) touch DMensBB.

Vivian Stringer just got a 5-year extension at Rutgers. She's 73. So maybe Coach K has another 8-10 years in him, he can do better than that.

UConn assistant Shea Ralph just took the top job at Vandy. I thought (no true knowledge) she was coach-in-waiting at UConn, so it looks like Geno is gonna stick around for a while. Or maybe she was told to go get some head coaching experience. Wonder what the guys on our bench, one in particular, are being told.
    geno is "only" 67. he has several more years if he wants them...at least to the degree that one shouldn't be afraid of leaving for a HC elsewhere without being able to come back to uconn. I also think that fans tend to think about the "succession plan" on a year to year basis far more than the coaches do...at least not to the degree that a HoF coach would attempt to manage his protege's career's on a year to year basis to ensure his or her selected choice were available. If She is ready for a HC position, she SHOULD go get a HC position.
    1200. DDMF.

A wonderful professional approach by the new coach. Well done! Looking forward to more and the future.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

I've seen this in a couple of places now, and it seems to be confirmed from other folks in the know, but I haven't seen her listed on any transfer portal news. Did something...let's say, "unfortunate" happen with her (i.e. a "for cause" situation)?

I've seen this in a couple of places now, and it seems to be confirmed from other folks in the know, but I haven't seen her listed on any transfer portal news. Did something...let's say, "unfortunate" happen with her (i.e. a "for cause" situation)?
    I've heard nothing that suggests any malfeasance on her part.

I've heard nothing that suggests any malfeasance on her part.
    Good to know that. Thanks.

Good to know that. Thanks.
    Keep in mind that Nwoke will be an academic senior next fall. There's something to be said for dropping hoops, finishing up the classwork and graduating with a degree from Duke University.

On Duke's dime.

Keep in mind that Nwoke will be an academic senior next fall. There's something to be said for dropping hoops, finishing up the classwork and graduating with a degree from Duke University.

On Duke's dime.
    Absolutely. It's probably expecting too much asking her to graduate by Spring '22 while devoting so much time to practices and games. She's always been used in a marginal role on the court, so the difference to the team having her on the active roster or not is likely negligible, now that we have transfer bigs that can handle the game time and we don't really need one more practice body. So this is cheaper for Duke, Kara gets the roster slot next year, plus Uchenna gets her degree a year sooner. Seems like a win for everyone.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 04-16-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Left out words.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

On Duke's dime.
    Yes..there is something to be said for that. I'm not sure I could say it nicely, though.

I don't know anything about her personal life or situation, but since so many on this board toss out "Free Education" when the subject of NCAA kids getting paid comes up, then how does that argument look in the reverse? If she is "not part of the program", which means she isn't doing anything with the team, then her continuing to get a free ride doesn't sit all that well. Unless her academics are through the roof and she's worthy of a scholarship on those grounds, which she may be. Like I said, I don't know anything about her.

But if not, then just dropping the reason that she went to Duke in the first place, and continuing on without her contribution seems pretty iffy.
    How'd you like to be the kid sitting next to her in class, in debt and parents making payments on a second mortgage, and she's getting the same thing you are for free?

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong. I'll be happy if I am.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If she is "not part of the program", which means she isn't doing anything with the team, then her continuing to get a free ride doesn't sit all that well. Unless her academics are through the roof and she's worthy of a scholarship on those grounds, which she may be. Like I said, I don't know anything about her.

But if not, then just dropping the reason that she went to Duke in the first place, and continuing on without her contribution seems pretty iffy.
    I disagree with your take, mostly because I think it overestimates the value to the team of her ongoing contribution. I'm not meaning to denigrate Uchenna, whom I like, but the fact is that, even with last year's very short roster, she only appeared in 3 of the 4 games for 10 minutes per game, and over that time scored a grand total of 4 points and (at 6'6" tall) gathered just 7 rebounds. We now have a much larger array of more capable players. Duke isn't going to leave her hanging without a degree (although I don't know her financial situation, there's a decent possibility her family couldn't afford Duke, particularly not coming as it would from out of the blue), and there's just not much more she can offer. She's been a contributing team member for the rest of her time while at Duke. You could reasonably argue that she's given everything to Duke that Duke needs from her at this point (i.e. she's already earned the scholarship).

This is just how things worked out, through no fault of Uchenna's. I'm not sure any other student really has grounds to complain about that.

Nwoke should graduate on time in the spring of 2022. Maybe she'll be a team manager or something. I don't know. I just know that she will not be entering the transfer portal and will not suit up for Duke next season.