Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I disagree with your take, mostly because I think it overestimates the value to the team of her ongoing contribution. I'm not meaning to denigrate Uchenna, whom I like, but the fact is that, even with last year's very short roster, she only appeared in 3 of the 4 games for 10 minutes per game, and over that time scored a grand total of 4 points and (at 6'6" tall) gathered just 7 rebounds. We now have a much larger array of more capable players. Duke isn't going to leave her hanging without a degree (although I don't know her financial situation, there's a decent possibility her family couldn't afford Duke, particularly not coming as it would from out of the blue), and there's just not much more she can offer. She's been a contributing team member for the rest of her time while at Duke. You could reasonably argue that she's given everything to Duke that Duke needs from her at this point (i.e. she's already earned the scholarship).

This is just how things worked out, through no fault of Uchenna's. I'm not sure any other student really has grounds to complain about that.
    many families can't afford duke. She could take out loans like a huge % of students do. I'm not saying I disagree with your thesis, but this particular point is not especially compelling.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yes..there is something to be said for that. I'm not sure I could say it nicely, though.

I don't know anything about her personal life or situation, but since so many on this board toss out "Free Education" when the subject of NCAA kids getting paid comes up, then how does that argument look in the reverse? If she is "not part of the program", which means she isn't doing anything with the team, then her continuing to get a free ride doesn't sit all that well. Unless her academics are through the roof and she's worthy of a scholarship on those grounds, which she may be. Like I said, I don't know anything about her.

But if not, then just dropping the reason that she went to Duke in the first place, and continuing on without her contribution seems pretty iffy.
    How'd you like to be the kid sitting next to her in class, in debt and parents making payments on a second mortgage, and she's getting the same thing you are for free?

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong. I'll be happy if I am.
    I see where you're coming from, but I gotta say I don't blame her at all. Gotta take advantage of the opportunities life gives you. Because some situations (let's call them reverse opportunities) will definitely be unfair to you.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    many families can't afford duke. She could take out loans like a huge % of students do. I'm not saying I disagree with your thesis, but this particular point is not especially compelling.
    So I tell you that, through no malfeasance on your part, you need to come up with an extra $70,000 to pay your rent/mortgage by September, or I'm going to destroy your house. That wouldn't bother you? That's effectively what would be happening.

If I were the Nwoke family, that would bother me a lot, even if securing the loan was within my financial capability. Do you think Uchenna would have committed to Duke at all if she thought that was ever a possibility?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nwoke should graduate on time in the spring of 2022. Maybe she'll be a team manager or something. I don't know. I just know that she will not be entering the transfer portal and will not suit up for Duke next season.
    I am speculating that, like some of her teammates, she was told by the coach that she would not on the roster next season, per NCAA D1 Manual rule 15.5.1.7. If she wanted to continue to play, she would have had to transfer. Unlike the others, She appears to have chosen to stay at Duke for her last academic year, on scholarship, but she won’t count towards the scholarship limit for WBB.

I believe the NCAA put this clause in when they “guaranteed” a scholarship would not be pulled for athletic reasons, and essentially would be there until graduation if the student chooses. A new coach coming in, wanting his/her players, can use this to “clear space” if needed for the new players. But it protects the former players from having their scholarship pulled just because (the “grant-in-aid is only valid for one year” former rule.)

She would not be able to practice with the team under this rule, else she would be back as a “counter” towards the scholarship limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So I tell you that, through no malfeasance on your part, you need to come up with an extra $70,000 to pay your rent/mortgage by September, or I'm going to destroy your house. That wouldn't bother you? That's effectively what would be happening.

If I were the Nwoke family, that would bother me a lot, even if securing the loan was within my financial capability. Do you think Uchenna would have committed to Duke at all if she thought that was ever a possibility?
    private lenders hand out student loans like candy. so that premise is still flawed.

In any case, I will reiterate what I said, that I don't disagree that any such scholarship should be honored, only that the ability of her family to otherwise afford for her to attend duke isn't a particularly compelling reason why. about 1/3 of duke students have to take out loans to cover the cost of attendance. IMO being sold a bill of goods that would be revoked is far more compelling, regardless of the family's ability to pay or the necessity of loans. Duke seemingly made an investment in this individual, and it didn't work out for Duke, and the cost of that is her tuition for a year. Such is life.

Regardless, I'm glad she will represent the university as an alumna. One of the reasons I wholly support sports at Duke is because it does bring diversity to the student body. I have several friends who were in on athletic scholarships who went on to do great things, as the NCAA says, in something other than sports. They are a credit to the university and a value that Duke has that, say, U-chicago, does not.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but I gotta say I don't blame her at all. Gotta take advantage of the opportunities life gives you. Because some situations (let's call them reverse opportunities) will definitely be unfair to you.
    I'm with you there. If I were her, I'd jump all over the opportunity. And I'd understand some leery looks that I get.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nwoke had some injury issues, including surgery after her sophomore season. Would anyone be aggrieved by a release that went something like "Continuing knee problems will preclude Uchenna Nwoke from continuing her college basketball career. She will remain on scholarship and is expected to graduate in the spring of 2022?"

I don't know all of the specifics here. But in the context of this discussion, I do know that she will not enter the transfer portal, will not play for Duke and will continue in school at Duke, working towards her degree.

And I'm perfectly okay with that. More than okay. And I would be very surprised if she gets any leery looks.

And I would be very surprised if she gets any leery looks.
    Me too. She's 6'6" and could put a hurtin' on ya.

Imani Lewis will be transferring to Duke. She's a 6-1 forward and was second-team All-Big 10 at Wisconsin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN21-yhJ...d=oodlkt4s89dn
    Last edited by jimsumner; 04-19-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Imani Lewis will be transferring to Duke. She's a 6-1 forward and was second-team All-Big 10 at Wisconsin.

Wow... K. Lawson doing work!

Welcome Imani! This is a really solid pickup.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/womens-...ani-lewis/8747
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Well, this is a disappointment. Kara brought in a transfer who wasn't a 5-star recruit in high school. She only averaged 13.8 points and 8.3 rebounds in 3 years at Wisconsin, starting all but 3 games.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, .

Well, this is a disappointment. Kara brought in a transfer who wasn't a 5-star recruit in high school. She only averaged 13.8 points and 8.3 rebounds in 3 years at Wisconsin, starting all but 3 games.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, .
    For some perspective, we haven't had anyone average that many rebounds over a full season since Azura, and Elizabeth averaged 7.9 over her career.

So Jim, does that wrap up Kara's "recruiting" for this cycle?

For some perspective, we haven't had anyone average that many rebounds over a full season since Azura, and Elizabeth averaged 7.9 over her career.

So Jim, does that wrap up Kara's "recruiting" for this cycle?
    I believe she is still fishing in the point-guard-transfer-waters. DeJesus is the only real point guard on the roster.

I believe she is still fishing in the point-guard-transfer-waters. DeJesus is the only real point guard on the roster.
    Makes sense, thanks. Quite a haul for Kara and her staff.

Will be interesting to see how this new transfer rule affects recruiting. A high schooler can think they know where they fit in a roster and it is suddenly changed, maybe enormously. At first I thought not as many early commits, and then thought maybe they do to fend off "recruiting" of a transfer to fill their "spot". Though most transfers will happen after a season. Gee, who knows.

Coaches are always going to go for the best talent. This transfer rule probably increased their "recruiting" work load considerably.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Go Lindsey!

Former Duke women's basketball National Player of the Year and current assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings Lindsey Harding has been tabbed the head coach of the South Sudan Women's Senior National Team.

"Words cannot express for this moment in time," said Harding. "I truly look forward to playing a role and shaping the lives of women in this country and use my platform to help inspire, serve and empower the youth of South Sudan."
    More notches in her coaching resume.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/20/wo...BBs_kBIV_WKF6I
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Lawson sure seems to be hard at work. Does anyone here have a handle on how all these transfer pieces might fit together? I admit, I lost my focus on WBB in general during the McCallie era.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Lawson sure seems to be hard at work. Does anyone here have a handle on how all these transfer pieces might fit together? I admit, I lost my focus on WBB in general during the McCallie era.
    Kind of hard to say for certain after four games. But based on what I've seen and heard, I think we can look for uptempo, pressure and lots of substitutions.

Kind of hard to say for certain after four games. But based on what I've seen and heard, I think we can look for uptempo, pressure and lots of substitutions.
    good...I also meant do the talents of these various transfers mesh, do they (careful now Jim) complement each other?

Lee Volker's Paul VI team lost in the championship game of the GEICO Nationals, and end the year ranked #2. Lee will be our only true freshman next year, Kara might have found a rough gem. It's surprising she got anyone of value being hired so late. Sorry, couldn't find much info on the game.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...tball-rankings

I'm very impressed with Kara (and I'm sure that means a lot to her )