Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
I disagree with your take, mostly because I think it overestimates the value to the team of her ongoing contribution. I'm not meaning to denigrate Uchenna, whom I like, but the fact is that, even with last year's very short roster, she only appeared in 3 of the 4 games for 10 minutes per game, and over that time scored a grand total of 4 points and (at 6'6" tall) gathered just 7 rebounds. We now have a much larger array of more capable players. Duke isn't going to leave her hanging without a degree (although I don't know her financial situation, there's a decent possibility her family couldn't afford Duke, particularly not coming as it would from out of the blue), and there's just not much more she can offer. She's been a contributing team member for the rest of her time while at Duke. You could reasonably argue that she's given everything to Duke that Duke needs from her at this point (i.e. she's already earned the scholarship).

This is just how things worked out, through no fault of Uchenna's. I'm not sure any other student really has grounds to complain about that.
many families can't afford duke. She could take out loans like a huge % of students do. I'm not saying I disagree with your thesis, but this particular point is not especially compelling.