Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 243
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Duke Women's and Men's Golf -- 2021

    Let's turn our attention to a sport where we do really well, at least in women's competition.

    The Duke women won the three-day Gamecock Invitational yesterday, defeating 17 other teams. Sophomore Erica Shepherd won the invitational championship with a score of -7. Freshman Phoebe Brinker came in third. The field contained eight of the top 15 ranked teams in Golfweek.

    A week earlier, the Blue Devils finished third at the Palmetto Intercollegiate on Kiawah Island, SC. Wake Forest and Virginia came in first and second in the 11-team field. Erica Shepherd was third in the individual championship.

    The Duke women play next at the Valspar Augusta Invitational on Mar. 13-14 and have other events leading up to the ACC championships at Sedgefield CC in Greensboro, Apr. 15-17. The NCAA championships are May 21-26 in Scottsdale, AZ. The Duke women have won seven NCAA championships, all since 1999.

    The Duke men have played in four tournaments thus far -- the best finish at second of 12 teams at the Sea Best Invitational played at TPC Sawgrass on Feb. 1-2. Senior Adrien Pendaries was third in the field. This week Duke placed fourth out of 12 at the Wake Forest Invitational; Adrien placed fifth in the individual competition. Other Duke men results include placing 12th out of 15 in the Seminole Invitational at Tallahassee on Feb. 19-21 and fourth out of ten at the Camp Creek Seminole event in Panama City, FL Jan. 17-19.

    The Duke men have three one-day tournaments in the offing leading to the ACC championships near Atlanta on Apr. 23-26. The NCAA championships are also in Scottsdale.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Women #1 in Medal Play at ACC's

    The Duke women (#2 nationally) shot -11 for three rounds of medal play at the ACC women's golf championship at Sedgefield CC in Greensboro. The Devils outpaced Wake Forest at -8, Florida State at +7 and Virginia at +12. These four meet in the semifinals of the match play championship at 9:50AM on Saturday, with Duke facing UVa.

    Duke's Gina Kim won medal honors for the tournament:
    GREENSBORO, N.C. Ė Duke University women's golf junior Gina Kim carded her third straight round in the 60s on her way to claiming individual medalist honors at the ACC Championship Friday with a 10-under-par, 206, at the 6,132-yard, par-72 Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C.
    Gina is from Chapel Hill.

    Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Duke women (#2 nationally) shot -11 for three rounds of medal play at the ACC women's golf championship at Sedgefield CC in Greensboro. The Devils outpaced Wake Forest at -8, Florida State at +7 and Virginia at +12. These four meet in the semifinals of the match play championship at 9:50AM on Saturday, with Duke facing UVa.

    Duke's Gina Kim won medal honors for the tournament:
    Gina is from Chapel Hill.

    Go Duke!
    We won't hold that against her.

    GoDuke!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Duke Wins ACC Match Play Semifinals

    Top-seeded Duke defeats Virginia in the semis of the ACC match play championships and will play Florida state, an upset winner over #2 seed Wake Forest. Duke leads 3-1 with match deadlocked after 18.

    Scoring here.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Top-seeded Duke defeats Virginia in the semis of the ACC match play championships and will play Florida state, an upset winner over #2 seed Wake Forest. Duke leads 3-1 with match deadlocked after 18.

    Scoring here.
    ACC media release.

    https://theacc.com/news/2021/4/17/du...mpionship.aspx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Top-seeded Duke defeats Virginia in the semis of the ACC match play championships and will play Florida state, an upset winner over #2 seed Wake Forest. Duke leads 3-1 with match deadlocked after 18.

    Scoring here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I spent most of today walking a golf course with the mother of Rachel Kuehn, one of Wakeís top players. (Her son, Rachelís brother, was in my sonís group at a junior event.) She was giving me play-by-play almost all the way through, and was NOT happy when Duke won. I just smiled.

    Congrats, Blue Devils! Now take down the Noles.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I spent most of today walking a golf course with the mother of Rachel Kuehn, one of Wakeís top players. (Her son, Rachelís brother, was in my sonís group at a junior event.) She was giving me play-by-play almost all the way through, and was NOT happy when Duke won. I just smiled.

    Congrats, Blue Devils! Now take down the Noles.
    Very cool. You can watch todayís championship beginning at 9 am on ACC Network Extra. Go Duke!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke leads in 4 of the matches and FSU is up two in the other match.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke leads in 4 of the matches and FSU is up two in the other match.
    http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...atch&tid=22383

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke wins two of the five matches and need just one of the remaining three to secure the championship.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Kim wins the 15th and is up two with three holes to go.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke wins. ACC CHAMPIONS!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke wins. ACC CHAMPIONS!
    Duke wins 5-0 for the sweep over Florida State!

    Anne Chen was four-down after 13 holes but won the last five holes to win 1-up. Erica Shepard was in a close match but won 17 and 18 to win two-up.

    Earlier, Phoebe Brinker won 5-and-4; Jaravee Bonnchant won easily at 6-and-5; and Gina Kim won 3-and-2.

    The women play again at the NCAA Regionals, May 10-12. The NCAA Championships are in Scottsdale, AZ at the Grayhawk Golf Club, May 21-27.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 04-18-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added upcoming events
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Best program in Duke Athletics. Women's Golf. Boonchant could be another Thai golf star on the LPGA tour.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Gina Kim qualified today for the 2021 U.S. Women's Open.

    https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/5/wom...mens-open.aspx
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Gina Kim qualified today for the 2021 U.S. Women's Open.

    https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/5/wom...mens-open.aspx
    In other Duke women's golf news, Duke is seeded #1 in the Midwest Regional. Play is Monday through Wednesday. The qualifiers go on to the nationals in Scottsdale AZ (beginning May 21).

    Four Duke players were on the 15-person All-ACC team:

    Receiving All-ACC recognition for the Blue Devils were senior Jaravee Boonchant, junior Gina Kim, sophomore Erica Shepherd and freshman Phoebe Brinker. The four selections by Duke led all schools.
    Dan Brooks was named ACC coach of the year by a vote of ACC coaches.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post



    Dan Brooks was named ACC coach of the year by a vote of ACC coaches.
    Brooks must have a pretty impressive trophy room.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Brooks must have a pretty impressive trophy room.
    16th time as COY.

    In fact, in his position, I would try to negotiate a higher salary in order to get a bigger house to accommodate all "these Duke trophies we won."
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In other Duke women's golf news, Duke is seeded #1 in the Midwest Regional. Play is Monday through Wednesday. The qualifiers go on to the nationals in Scottsdale AZ (beginning May 21).

    Four Duke players were on the 15-person All-ACC team:



    Dan Brooks was named ACC coach of the year by a vote of ACC coaches.
    Something to think about regarding the bold statement...there are only 6 golfers on the Duke roster. This would be equivalent to 8 of 12 men's basketball players being on the all ACC team. Wow!!!

    Coach K has also pointed out in the past that he is NOT the most successful coach at Duke and that Dan Brooks is.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Something to think about regarding the bold statement...there are only 6 golfers on the Duke roster. This would be equivalent to 8 of 12 men's basketball players being on the all ACC team. Wow!!!

    Coach K has also pointed out in the past that he is NOT the most successful coach at Duke and that Dan Brooks is.
    Wonder if Dan can coach college basketball.

    GoDuke!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Golf 2020 -- Women and Men
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2020, 03:05 PM
  2. Duke Women's Golf 2018
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM
  3. Duke Women ACC Golf Champs!
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM
  4. Duke Women's Golf in Los Angeles
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM
  5. Duke Women's Golf
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •