Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

K with a very direct and powerful Black Lives Matter Video statement

I don't know how to embed these social media videos here, but this was dropped within the past half hour on the official Duke MBBall twitter feed

Go to @DukeMBB...it's something. I know everyone's politics are different, but this really moved me.

It’s an excellent statement; a powerful one.

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1...116171269?s=21

I’m proud of Coach K.
    No soup for you!

Yep

It's great. Coach K is a wonderful leader.

Stunning and brave.

Very proud right now.

Brought tears to my eyes.

I'm about to send a donation to the Emily K. Center.

And if you feel the same way. https://www.emilyk.org/get-involved/donate/

It's waaaaaaaaay past time, but I otherwise fully agree!

He speaks as a man who loves God, as a man who loves West Point, and as a man who loves this country.

He also reflects the overall values of Duke. My love for my school is about more than just basketball... it is because I believe Duke represents education and learning and thought and logic and reason, while also placing great import on being moral and responsible and reflective. I think K has always encouraged this, in his time as the Duke men’s basketball head coach, and has always embraced that Duke is about more than just sports.

And he is a teacher in every way. Coaches are teachers; they just teach a sport instead of English. But the responsibility of working with young people, of caring for them and mentoring them, is something that K has always appreciated and understood, and his love for his kids and their families is clearly at the heart of this.

I love that man. He would have made an excellent congressman/senator/president if he had chosen to pursue a career in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I love that man. He would have made an excellent congressman/senator/president if he had chosen to pursue a career in politics.
    But he's a very honorable man who has integrity and speaks the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    But he's a very honorable man who has integrity and speaks the truth.
    I think you could actually make a case that a higher ratio of high major sports coaches are corrupt than politicians. Probably not true, but I'd like to think Coach K would be the same outstanding leader no matter what career he had pursued.

That is an awesome message

I am very proud that Coach K represents Duke but more importantly I hope folks listen and take positive action.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    It’s an excellent statement; a powerful one.

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1...116171269?s=21

I’m proud of Coach K.
    Thanks for sharing. Love his passion.

Why isn't this on the other board?

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    You can’t get more “on the topic of Duke basketball” than Coach K making the most powerful and emotional public statement that I’ve ever heard from him, a statement that ties directly to his years and years as the Duke basketball head coach, working with people from all backgrounds, and particularly young African American men... guys like Nolan Smith and Quinn Cook and Shane Battier and Chris Carrawell and Elton Brand.

Makes sense to me that it would be discussed on the Duke basketball forum. As he said himself, it’s not a political message

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Not sure. I disagree with almost everything he said. A lot of platitudes with no real discussion of what system he is claiming is racist. I doubt he has visited the blm website and read the antisemitic and anti-family messaging. I doubt he has looked at the statistical evidence that doesn't support the blm narrative.

If he wants to talk about reigning in some of the tactics that law enforcement has abused recently against everyone, I can get on board. If he wants to really talk about what really ails the black community in America I'm all for it.

All lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Not sure. I disagree with almost everything he said. A lot of platitudes with no real discussion of what system he is claiming is racist. I doubt he has visited the blm website and read the antisemitic and anti-family messaging. I doubt he has looked at the statistical evidence that doesn't support the blm narrative.

If he wants to talk about reigning in some of the tactics that law enforcement has abused recently against everyone, I can get on board. If he wants to really talk about what really ails the black community in America I'm all for it.

All lives matter.
    All lives matter, yes. Black lives matter right now. Because they haven't for a very long time.

"All lives matter" is like going to someone's birthday party and saying "I have a birthday party too, you know."

It misses the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    All lives matter, yes. Black lives matter right now. Because they haven't for a very long time.

"All lives matter" is like going to someone's birthday party and saying "I have a birthday party too, you know."

It misses the point.
    Or this:

https://www.live5news.com/2020/06/26...-lives-matter/

All lives matter.
    Hm, Coach K has never struck me as a man who is all about speaking platitudes, and certainly didn’t sound to be doing so in that video.

It would be odd to have him not treat such an important topic with sincerity, and I do not think he is the type who would put out something like that without considerable thought, education, research, and reflection.

And he was about as specific about the systems as could be on a two minute video... he mentioned a number of them. But that might be getting too close to politics.

I appreciate that statement as much as anything he has done in his time at my school.

And yes. All lives matter. You and I both know that Coach K believes that

I’ll just focus on this part, because I hope everyone agrees with this. Because, yes, I think that’s exactly what he is driving at.

As K said, it’s not a political issue — it’s a human rights issue.