Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm willing to serve in Ozzie's administration. weezie the Enforcer gets a sash and a mace, right?
    Nah. Today it would be a gas mask an an AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, there are three African-Americans serving as AD's in the ACC:

Martin Jarmond, BC
    Stan Wilcox. FSU
    Carla Williams, UVa

Heather Lyke is also AD at Pitt.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'I had forgotten that Duke legacy Boo Corrigan was the AD at State'
    A rare miss, perhaps the first, for sagegrouse:
    David Coburn is the AD at FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm willing to serve in Ozzie's administration. weezie the Enforcer gets a sash and a mace, right?
    And a bejeweled crown!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Stan Wilcox was the FSU AD. He left in 2018 to become the Executive VP of regulatory affairs at the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post
    Here's what I got from the list of AD's at all NCAA schools -- Wikipedia:

Florida Gulf Coast Ken Kavanagh Florida
    Florida State Stan Wilcox Florida
    Fordham David Roach New York

Turns out it was two years out of date. Coburn became interim AD two years ago and permanent AD last year.

I regret the error -- it's probably not the only one.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    Stan Wilcox was the FSU AD. He left in 2018 to become the Executive VP of regulatory affairs at the NCAA.
    Ahhh, may still be a candidate for ACC commish?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here's what I got from the list of AD's at all NCAA schools -- Wikipedia:

Florida Gulf Coast Ken Kavanagh Florida
    Florida State Stan Wilcox Florida
    Fordham David Roach New York

Turns out it was two years out of date. Coburn became interim AD two years ago and permanent AD last year.

I regret the error -- it's probably not the only one.
    Jarmond also left BC for UCLA this offseason. Strike 2
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Jarmond also left BC for UCLA this offseason. Strike 2
    But, truly, isn't he still a possible selection as ACC Commissioner. For the record, the new BC AD is Patrick Kraft, previously at Temple.

The others on my initial list of 15 AD's seem to be correct
    Sage Grouse

But, truly, isn't he still a possible selection as ACC Commissioner. For the record, the new BC AD is Patrick Kraft, previously at Temple.

The others on my initial list of 15 AD's seem to be correct
    Perhaps, but Florida State would likely object for several reasons, especially given the severe crticism of Stan for his hiring Willie Taggart (along with the huge salary and remarkable, to put it mildly, buyout clause he approved for Coach Taggart), who, prior to FSU, where he had a 9-12 record and a highly disorganized program, his record was 47-50:
    16-20 at WKU, 24-25 at USF, and 7-5 at Oregon.

Coach Taggart's reputation prior to his FSU tenure was that of being a good guy and a very good recruiter, as well as having a strong need for outstanding coordinators. This analysis was confirmed by a few West Coast voters for a position award with which I am closely associated. In fairness, most every head coach could use outstanding coordinators, whether he "needed" them or not, and the declining FSU program after Jimbo's uneven recruiting by position (for instance, offensive linemen) and his flirtation with other jobs was due for a major fall. My own contact with Coach Taggart revealed that he was a fine and generous man (who provided a number of items for banquet auction for our scholarships). I know of no one associated with FSU who does not wish him well.

I'm gonna toss my hat in for Debbie Yow, but I think she wants to stay retired.

TV Biz Experience

How important is having some experience in negotiating tv contracts for the job? That would seem to be the biggest revenue generator.

I am not sure an AD job gives you that experience, but I do not know. Any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I get it. And I agree with the characterization of their fans. I dislike Maryland strongly, don't get me wrong - I actually hate Maryland, at least in basketball.

But at the end of the day, Maryland was a founding member of the ACC with great basketball tradition (and still strong program), a logical footprint for the conference, and a "loyal" fanbase (amongst other descriptors). While I suspect there are plenty of other current ACC schools that the Old Guard on the Board would have been happy to see leave, Maryland was unfortunate. And I can say it's unfortunate and still believe their fan behavior is often out of bounds. The two feelings aren't mutually exclusive for me.

Swofford's accomplishment was stopping the bleeding at Maryland because that was objectively a tougher loss for the conference than, say, BC which (1) was not a founding member, (2) has very minimal basketball tradition to speak of (and a fairly bad program at the moment), (3) sits in a relatively illogical footprint, and (4) has no fanbase that I can discern. Losing Maryland was a head-turner, I'm sure, for many schools. Swofford kept the ship afloat, and for that he deserves credit. Other than realignment, meh.

- Chillin
    The dirty little secret is that Debbie Yow had exhausted whatever reserves Lew Perkins and others had amassed (and then quite a bit more) to garner white hat A.D. status . It was a matter of time until Maryland would start looking, but yes credit to
    Swoff for doing the above.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    How important is having some experience in negotiating tv contracts for the job? That would seem to be the biggest revenue generator.

I am not sure an AD job gives you that experience, but I do not know. Any insight?
    Well, a subset of the AD's are deeply involved in any and all of the business negotiations for the conference. Are they better than a "back-room exec" who has focused on media? I think so, but it depends on the person.

Another source would be commissioners at other conferences, such as former ACC commish Bob James.

What I thought went without saying is that a conference commissioner has a lot more job security than an AD. But I said it anyway. I mean, the ACC has had four commissioners in 66 years.

Jim Weaver 1954–1970
    Bob James 1971–1987
    Gene Corrigan 1987–1997
    John Swofford 1997–present

As AD's go, there is Eugene "Boo" Corrigan at NC State. In addition to being the son of former commissioner Corrigan he has been these places --

2002–2004 Navy (associate AD)
    2004–2008 Notre Dame (associate AD)
    2008–2011 Duke (associate AD)
    2011–2019 Army
    2019–present NC State

Degrees from ND and VCU.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 06-26-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Sage Grouse

Bye

Thank you John for holding UNC accountable for all their many years of cheating. Great job.
    4ef91294e22d5f56649fababaa7bb3af.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Thank you John for holding UNC accountable for all their many years of cheating. Great job.
    4ef91294e22d5f56649fababaa7bb3af.jpg
    he knew

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    he knew
    And rooted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Maryland was a founding member of the ACC with.. a logical footprint for the conference...
    Wait, what? I thought they were in Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The ACC has a history of looking internally for its heads. Swofford had UNC ties as we know. Corrigan had Duke and UVA ties. The next one really needs to come from outside the ACC.
    There are only four. The first, Jim Weaver, was a Wake Forest guy through and through. The second, Bob James, came from outside the ACC. Both James and Weaver died in office. Gene Corrigan was AD at Notre Dame when recruited to succeed James but a Duke graduate and before ND was AD at Virginia. Swofford, a <orehead Scholar, is the only fully home-grown commissioner ('cuz Weaver went to college at Emory & Henry).

By the criteria of money, membership and media contracts I think he has done a good job.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 06-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    Sage Grouse

Well, there are three African-Americans serving as AD's in the ACC:

Martin Jarmond, BC
    Stan Wilcox. FSU
    Carla Williams, UVa

Heather Lyke is also AD at Pitt.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'I had forgotten that Duke legacy Boo Corrigan was the AD at State'
    Bilas in a recent interview said that Carla Williams at UVA should be the choice.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bilas in a recent interview said that Carla Williams at UVA should be the choice.
    Thanks for picking this up. My earlier post should have said, "Three African-Americans have recently served as AD's int he ACC." Jarmond has just moved to UCLA and wilcox left three years ago.
    Sage Grouse