Booze, broads, and baseball from way back when

Quite a story...I know it's behind a paywall, but for those who recall the Micky Mantle/Billy Martin days, some sobering (ha) info nightlife for ballplayers:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/n...gtype=Homepage

Great article! I read Mantle’s autobiography multiple times as a pre-teen and recall being fascinated by the stories of his antics. Life was very different back then.

For those who aren’t as familiar, the Copa is the club featured in the movie Goodfellas where he walks in through the kitchen and gets seated in the front row - one of my favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Great article! I read Mantle’s autobiography multiple times as a pre-teen and recall being fascinated by the stories of his antics. Life was very different back then.

For those who aren’t as familiar, the Copa is the club featured in the movie Goodfellas where he walks in through the kitchen and gets seated in the front row - one of my favorite movies.
    Plus, did you possibly notice that the focus of the piece, Joey Silvestri, happens to look a fair amount like Joe Pesci?

Reminds me of one of Mantle's earlier articles on his alcohol use, a SI piece titled Time in a Bottle.

Have a bunch of Mantle cards down in my basement...<sigh> in awful condition.

I’ve read The Mick. An excellent book full of interesting stories.
    Bob Green

Good story, brings back memories, good and bad, of a bygone era.

Many of the Yankees were hard partying guys, a few were not. I vaguely remember the story about Bobby Richardson, a fine gentleman and practicing Christian. Somehow the Yankee ownership thought he was involved in some nefarious nightlife - absolutely can't figure out why they thought that.

They Yankees hired a private investigator to tail Bobby and a teammate, can't remember who. The P.I.'s report went something like this - tailed them to the YMCA, they played ping pong, had a milkshake . . . After week of this the investigation was called off.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Many of the Yankees were hard partying guys, a few were not. I vaguely remember the story about Bobby Richardson, a fine gentleman and practicing Christian. Somehow the Yankee ownership thought he was involved in some nefarious nightlife - absolutely can't figure out why they thought that.

They Yankees hired a private investigator to tail Bobby and a teammate, can't remember who. The P.I.'s report went something like this - tailed them to the YMCA, they played ping pong, had a milkshake . . . After week of this the investigation was called off.
    yeah, Bobby was a known choirboy sort of guy. I recall amazing stories about when the Yanks and others got to partying with Frank Sinatra, and Frank would not allow guys to beg off and go home...you had to drink yourself into a stupor or Frank would turn ugly, and that wasn't good either.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

That would have been shortstop Tony Kobek.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That would have been shortstop Tony Kobek.
    So a later Yankee shortstop was more, shall we say, reliable with the ladies? #2
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

kubek, he of the baseball to the throat...