Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as predicted earlier, watch out for the shenanigans...UCLA players demanding an independent third party oversee their health because they don't trust their coach:https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...andemic-return

Can't wait to see the booga booga UCLA rolls out to counter this...IMO this is just the wee tip of the iceberg...
    Don't blame them. Enough coaches and programs have shown enough times they have little regard for the safety of their kids/players that I wouldn't trust the staff either. Not all coaches and programs obviously but enough.

Duke didn't bring a team to the ACC tournament. Duke has been on the forefront of preventing contagion among its students. This may result from the influence of its world class scientists and physicians; its genuine concern; and more cynically, its deep pockets not necessitating sports receipts to survive. Anyway, I will be quite surprised if Duke fields fall teams this year

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Don't blame them. Enough coaches and programs have shown enough times they have little regard for the safety of their kids/players that I wouldn't trust the staff either. Not all coaches and programs obviously but enough.
    I certainly wasn't blaming them in the least. Hope I didn't imply that.

A real bellwether (for me anyway) will be what the Ivies do about football, since they aren't addicted to TV money like FBS teams are...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I certainly wasn't blaming them in the least. Hope I didn't imply that.

A real bellwether (for me anyway) will be what the Ivies do about football, since they aren't addicted to TV money like FBS teams are...
    Oh no, not saying you did. I just read the article and thought “good for them”. Do t trust anyone with your health unless you’re sure of their motives.

Football season played this year with all the players wearing visors/face shields?

https://www.highgroundsports.com/best-football-visors/

I'm not advocating this, simply showing a possibility, no matter how unlikely it may be.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Duke didn't bring a team to the ACC tournament. Duke has been on the forefront of preventing contagion among its students. This may result from the influence of its world class scientists and physicians; its genuine concern; and more cynically, its deep pockets not necessitating sports receipts to survive. Anyway, I will be quite surprised if Duke fields fall teams this year
    for better or worse, I suppose that the lawyers and accountants have almost as much say as the scientists, even at duke. If duke isn't playing sports this year, ESPECIALLY basketball, the athletics deficit will pale in comparison to the lost marketing.

The 16 million stipend, or whatever the university kicks in, for athletics is a steal for the amount of publicity that it drives, as well as the the subsequent alumni engagement, merchandising, and donations.

I'm not suggesting that playing would be the right call in the least...just that I find it unlikely that the well endowed nature of the university suggests that Duke will put any less weight on the views of the non-doctor-y people. If it were wholly up to the doctors, I'm sure Duke would be taking the Califonia route and have already declared an off-campus fall semester. It didn't though...likely because as such a small school Duke can't afford to have a massive number of people take some "time off," and the majority of schools who are having students return makes it less of a liability should something happen.

I assume the decision for fall sports will be similar. What are the financial impacts of playing or not? What are the liabilities should program members get sick? Can we do this in a way that largely protects our students? Who wants to bet athletes end up in the housing the university secured at the WaDuke to ensure they are almost entirely isolated from the rest of the population?
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    for better or worse, I suppose that the lawyers and accountants have almost as much say as the scientists, even at duke. If duke isn't playing sports this year, ESPECIALLY basketball, the athletics deficit will pale in comparison to the lost marketing.
    I was wondering if your caps key wasn't working...and then found it was. (Way off topic of course, but I'm gonna nitpick anyone who chooses to cap a whole word over the name of the school we are all here for.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was wondering if your caps key wasn't working...and then found it was. (Way off topic of course, but I'm gonna nitpick anyone who chooses to cap a whole word over the name of the school we are all here for.)
    Which is of course, an ad-hominem argument.

If we want to go down that route, I wondered if you are unaware of the distinction between a period and an ellipsis, given you typed three of the former when the latter would have been appropriate.

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Or perhaps the university attempted to sue me for copyright infringement for capitalizing it…it seems en-vogue.
    April 1

If we want to go down that route, I wondered if you are unaware of the distinction between a period and an ellipsis, given you typed three of the former when the latter would have been appropriate.

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Or perhaps the university attempted to sue me for copyright infringement for capitalizing it…it seems en-vogue.
    Grab your slide rules, it's a nerd fight!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Grab your slide rules, it's a nerd fight!
    Hehe! And yes I'm aware of the use of a period, an ellipsis, and even a semi-colon! I don't know why, but I just love those three dots.

Ahhhhh, that felt good.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Someone slanders the Oxford Comma, and I’m gonna cut somebody.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

our THREADS do tend to go in weird tangets: but I wouldn't have expected this . . . one; maybe,, another ONE?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    our THREADS do tend to go in weird tangets: but I wouldn't have expected this . . . one; maybe,, another ONE?
    Literally, this.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hehe! And yes I'm aware of the use of a period, an ellipsis, and even a semi-colon! I don't know why, but I just love those three dots.

Ahhhhh, that felt good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Literally, this.
    <3 DBR.

Hope y'all are staying healthy.
    April 1

We can wish for the football season to start all we want, but the season and this sentence will never happily

Its being reported by numerous outlets that Clemson now has 37 players testing positive for coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Its being reported by numerous outlets that Clemson now has 37 players testing positive for coronavirus.
    Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.
    Any hospitalizations?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I thought the same thing Jason.. how many rabid SEC football fans are actively hoping their entire squad gets it so this exact scenario plays out? Kinda reminds me of having chickenpox parties back in the day to get infected and over it.

Gallows humor

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    As long as they have more than Alabama I'm sure Dabo is happy.