Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Any hospitalizations?
    None reported. https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ve-coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I thought the same thing Jason.. how many rabid SEC football fans are actively hoping their entire squad gets it so this exact scenario plays out? Kinda reminds me of having chickenpox parties back in the day to get infected and over it.
    People were having COVID parties in NC a couple months ago before Governor Cooper correctly criticized the practice. I don't see student-athlete COVID parties in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    None reported. https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ve-coronavirus

People were having COVID parties in NC a couple months ago before Governor Cooper correctly criticized the practice. I don't see student-athlete COVID parties in the near future.
    i just see student-athlete regular parties. the kind all the ugrads will have hen they're back on campus regardless of supposed rules.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i just see student-athlete regular parties. the kind all the ugrads will have hen they're back on campus regardless of supposed rules.
    This - they did what college kids do . My guess is Dabo isn't very happy with them for risking their health.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.
    This is very much a way to get there. It was used long ago to be able to work in South during outbreaks of Yellow Fever. If you could show immunity you would be hired. The difference here is that Covid 19 is significantly less dangerous than Yellow Fever which killed about 10-30% of those infected. As long as these kids are isolated from an elderly population and are getting health care- they may be at much more risk of serious harm by playing football than from getting this virus. That is what the data shows. Yes there are risks here, but with a population that is already accepting other risks. The key thing to watch is whether these kids are having to do this against their will- that is, are they being told directly or indirectly that their scholarships will be pulled if they fail to practice. That is a very big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    This is very much a way to get there. It was used long ago to be able to work in South during outbreaks of Yellow Fever. If you could show immunity you would be hired. The difference here is that Covid 19 is significantly less dangerous than Yellow Fever which killed about 10-30% of those infected. As long as these kids are isolated from an elderly population and are getting health care- they may be at much more risk of serious harm by playing football than from getting this virus. That is what the data shows. Yes there are risks here, but with a population that is already accepting other risks. The key thing to watch is whether these kids are having to do this against their will- that is, are they being told directly or indirectly that their scholarships will be pulled if they fail to practice. That is a very big deal.
    Well, another difference is that it is still very unknown whether you can get it again. Which is a pretty important detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, another difference is that it is still very unknown whether you can get it again. Which is a pretty important detail.
    Another confounding factor is that it is still unknown what long term effects the virus may have on the body, particularly your lungs.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Not to mention that until the percentage of people who have had it gets much higher, a large part of positive antibody tests will be false positives.

Yes- that remains a big unknown- but no vaccine is 100% effective and may not offer more than short term immunity for those who get it. Definitely much more to learn here.

Yes- that remains a big unknown- but no vaccine is 100% effective and may not offer more than short term immunity for those who get it. Definitely much more to learn here.
    Yes. Though, if a vaccine bought even just 18 months of immunity, it would allow us to get ahead of this thing. Assuming people would accept it.

Yes. Though, if a vaccine bought even just 18 months of immunity, it would allow us to get ahead of this thing. Assuming people would accept it.
    I would! Me! Me!

Add to that, there are estimates that up to a third of all Americans will refuse to be vaccinated. This might make the vaccines next to worthless and ensure that the virus is a permanent resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    Add to that, there are estimates that up to a third of all Americans will refuse to be vaccinated. This might make the vaccines next to worthless and ensure that the virus is a permanent resident.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions will be levied against those who refuse a COVID-19 vaccination. and how much guts the individual states have.

Funny thing with respect to school-age vaccinations, the state with the toughest standards for public school students was Mississippi -- "no exceptions."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions will be levied against those who refuse a COVID-19 vaccination. and how much guts the individual states have.

Funny thing with respect to school-age vaccinations, the state with the toughest standards for public school students was Mississippi -- "no exceptions."
    My non-religious sister in Massachusetts only had to check the box 'religious exemption' to allow her unvaccinated children to attend public school. That loophole might have to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    My non-religious sister in Massachusetts only had to check the box 'religious exemption' to allow her unvaccinated children to attend public school. That loophole might have to change.
    California was a real problem, so I hear. But the measles epidemic emanating from Disneyland changed a lot of minds.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    California was a real problem, so I hear. But the measles epidemic emanating from Disneyland changed a lot of minds.
    Here is a link from the CDC for vaccinations for Kindergarten-age children by state. Colorado appears to be the worst at 87.4 -- Mississippi the highest at 99.2.

On further inspection, Alaska, which had only voluntary reporting, had a rate of about 84 percent -- could be, I suppose, much lower.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.
    Seems like your comment was tongue in cheek, but perhaps it shouldn't be. I smell a rat.

I"m not saying they WANTED their guys to get the virus now, but let's think about this. Of the pretty small number of schools that have reported very high numbers of football players testing positive, three of them are Alabama, LSU, and Clemson. Those are the three top programs in the nation, or certainly three of the top four along with Ohio State. What are the chances that of all the schools that have begun practices, the three top teams are three of the small number that have come up with a lot of players testing positive? Pretty small chance in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying these schools intentionally got their kids sick, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were pretty lax about their safety protocols, with their at least being some discussion behind the scenes to the effect of "if they all just get the virus now, that's fine, cuz everyone's gonna end up getting it anyway. They're all young and otherwise healthy, so they're at a tiny, tiny risk of something like death. Let them get it, get over it, and be ready to play football again in a couple of weeks, and ready for the season." These schools NEED to play football. More than most everyone else.

Maybe I'm way off on this, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Seems like your comment was tongue in cheek, but perhaps it shouldn't be. I smell a rat.

I"m not saying they WANTED their guys to get the virus now, but let's think about this. Of the pretty small number of schools that have reported very high numbers of football players testing positive, three of them are Alabama, LSU, and Clemson. Those are the three top programs in the nation, or certainly three of the top four along with Ohio State. What are the chances that of all the schools that have begun practices, the three top teams are three of the small number that have come up with a lot of players testing positive? Pretty small chance in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying these schools intentionally got their kids sick, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were pretty lax about their safety protocols, with their at least being some discussion behind the scenes to the effect of "if they all just get the virus now, that's fine, cuz everyone's gonna end up getting it anyway. They're all young and otherwise healthy, so they're at a tiny, tiny risk of something like death. Let them get it, get over it, and be ready to play football again in a couple of weeks, and ready for the season." These schools NEED to play football. More than most everyone else.

Maybe I'm way off on this, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
    i find it more likely to be a reporting/perception bias. The media are more likely to report on the big teams, and you're more likely to remember reading about cases on the big teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar outbreaks at other schools, and it's just not being picked up on.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I can't find a nonpartisan link that I can post here, but how about undergrad COVID exposure parties complete with gambling? If you get COVID first, you win the kitty. This is only at Alabama, but I'm sure Auburn, LSU, and Clemson students are watching.