Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ian Holm

RIP Ian Holm

LOTR, The Hobbit, Alien, The Fifth Element (it's my post and I like it!), Chariots of Fire, Time Bandits, and many, many more. Thank you for sharing your talent, sir! RIP.

BTW, the virtual LOTR reunion referenced in the article is worth a watch for folks that liked the movies. Holm was unable to make it but sent his regards.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 06-19-2020 at 05:50 PM.

His roles in Alien and Fifth Element are my favorites.

What a career. Rest in peace.

You had me at "Alien."

RIP Bilbo.

That's Sir Ian to you.

R.I.P.

Dang. Just watched Chariots of Fire the other day on a whim. He didn't have a huge part in the film, but he was wonderful as Sam Mussabini. R.I.P.

Just last month I wrote this in the Shakespeare quote thread:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    As for the quote:

"Hamlet didn't say that."
    "I think I remember Hamlet accurately."
    "Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did."
    Sir Ian Holm played Polonius in that movie. He also had the best lines in Big Night. ("Give people what they want, then later you can give them what you want.")

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My favs were The Fifth Element and A Life Less Ordinary. In the second one, he played Cameron Diaz's truly awful rich father who wouldn't pay up when she was "kidnapped" by Ewan McGregor.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My favs were The Fifth Element and A Life Less Ordinary. In the second one, he played Cameron Diaz's truly awful rich father who wouldn't pay up when she was "kidnapped" by Ewan McGregor.
    He also played a horrible father in Garden State, a guilty pleasure movie of mine with a great soundtrack.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He also played a horrible father in Garden State, a guilty pleasure movie of mine with a great soundtrack.
    I'm going to have to check that one out, I've never seen it. And per Wiki, you are right about the soundtrack.
    The film also spawned a soundtrack for which Braff, who picked the music himself, won a Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm going to have to check that one out, I've never seen it. And per Wiki, you are right about the soundtrack.
    It's pretty excellent, according to my own crappy taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One of the best soundtracks. A Trip Hop hall of fame.

Frou Frou (with Imogen Heap - one of my favorites), Zero 7, and Thievery Corporation, with Simon & Garfunkel, The Shins and Nick Drake thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

Frou Frou (with Imogen Heap - one of my favorites), Zero 7, and Thievery Corporation, with Simon & Garfunkel, The Shins and Nick Drake thrown in.
    Learned something new today. Had never heard that term.

Braff is a big Imogen Heap fan. Had her on his talk show. Here’s Immi singing “Let Go” - the Frou Frou number from “Garden State”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDiC...&feature=share

Oooh, now even more intrigued. Those two are on my Pandora painting playlist.

Oooh, now even more intrigued. Those two are on my Pandora painting playlist.
    Go for it. I discovered them years ago on my Everything but the Girl Pandora station. (Reminds me of an earlier thread about “not classic rock” - or similar)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Learned something new today. Had never heard that term.
    Early 90s, England. EBTG, Portishead, Zero 7, Tricky, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation. Some trance-like, down tempo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop

Early 90s, England. EBTG, Portishead, Zero 7, Tricky, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation. Some trance-like, down tempo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop
    Both literally also on my Pandora painting playlist. (My goto station that those show up on is "Underworld". I found them 100 years ago while watching Trainspotting. They still put out excellent music today.)

Coming back to this thread and seeing all this music talk, I thought someone went ahead and posted the bon mot that came to my mind, which was that Ian Holm was great with Deep Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Coming back to this thread and seeing all this music talk, I thought someone went ahead and posted the bon mot that came to my mind, which was that Ian Holm was great with Deep Purple.
    Or Jethro Tull even. (unless I've completely missed your point, in which case "nevermind")

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Or Jethro Tull even. (unless I've completely missed your point, in which case "nevermind")
    I don't know about the other bands, but I'm positive Ian Holm wasn't in Nirvana.