Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ymm, Crayons and Glue. Or something

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I thought you were a lawyer. You sound like an interior decorator.
    I have long maintained that guys only know the colors that were in their crayons boxes as kids. Some of us had the box of 16, some had the box of 64.

I could have gone full periwinkle, but thought that would be a bit strong.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have long maintained that guys only know the colors that were in their crayons boxes as kids. Some of us had the box of 16, some had the box of 64.

And some of us were (and still are) a few crayons short of a full box.

I still have no idea what Burnt Sienna means...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And some of us were (and still are) a few crayons short of a full box.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Can we all just agree that crayons are delicious?

Oddly, the “Ymm, crayons . . .” thread never really took off like it should have.

There was also an intermediate size of 54, that came in a cylindrical container that I thought was pretty cool. But yeah, the Big Daddy was the 64, which we had at least once, and they were set at a slant, so it was like crayons sitting in rows of bleachers in a gym, back row higher than the one in front. I think it even had a built-in crayon sharpener on one side, so this was top-o-the-line, the Cadillac of crayon boxes. I liked Magenta, myself, but for some reason always thought it was Magneta, and I'm not dyslexic. To this day I still think of the color as Magneta (in the many times the topic comes up), and I even now know about the Battle of Magenta in Italy from history classes, but it doesn't help.

Now my personal favorite is of course dark blue and these days, for more than one reason, but I better leave it at that...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In my box of paints, there is raw sienna and burnt sienna. Still have found perfectly cooked sienna.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In my box of paints, there is raw sienna and burnt sienna. Still have found perfectly cooked sienna.
    LOL. Is raw sienna = sienna tartar?

Oddly, the “Ymm, crayons . . .” thread never really took off like it should have.
    IKR. I would have thought the Mac&Cheese color would give that thread Momentum!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Dunno about sienna, but A-TexDevil will tell you that the "burnt" part is very important when it comes to orange. It's the difference between one UT and another UT.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    There was also an intermediate size of 54, that came in a cylindrical container that I thought was pretty cool. But yeah, the Big Daddy was the 64, which we had at least once, and they were set at a slant, so it was like crayons sitting in rows of bleachers in a gym, back row higher than the one in front. I think it even had a built-in crayon sharpener on one side, so this was top-o-the-line, the Cadillac of crayon boxes. I liked Magenta, myself, but for some reason always thought it was Magneta, and I'm not dyslexic. To this day I still think of the color as Magneta (in the many times the topic comes up), and I even now know about the Battle of Magenta in Italy from history classes, but it doesn't help.

Now my personal favorite is of course dark blue and these days, for more than one reason, but I better leave it at that...
    You people are so lucky with your fancy crayon boxes and your paint sets. Back in my day* I learned all of my colors from the resistor bands on Heathkit calculator kit. At least that was a step up from ROY G BIV.

*Yes those days when we had to slog through five miles of snow to get to and from school.**

**Now get off my nice green lawn!!

Sienna (from Italian: terra di Siena, meaning "Siena earth") is an earth pigment containing iron oxide and manganese oxide. In its natural state, it is yellowish brown and is called raw sienna. When heated, it becomes a reddish brown and is called burnt sienna.[2] It takes its name from the city-state of Siena, where it was produced during the Renaissance.[3] Along with ochre and umber, it was one of the first pigments to be used by humans, and is found in many cave paintings. Since the Renaissance, it has been one of the brown pigments most widely used by artists.

The first recorded use of sienna as a colour name in English was in 1760.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sienna

Ymm, ochre. . . .

I don't want to make this too partisan but glue: also delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Can we all just agree that crayons are delicious?
    Ralph Wiggins, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

*Yes those days when we had to slog through five miles of snow to get to and from school.**

**Now get off my nice green lawn!!
    But was it uphill both ways, like in my day?

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post

Is there anything worse than trying to fish out that one that broke in half? Grrrrrrr!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is there anything worse than trying to fish out that one that broke in half? Grrrrrrr!
    Depends. Is the other half stuck in your nose?

Ralph Wiggins, is that you?
    Miss Hoover? My worm went in my mouth and then I ate it, can I have a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Depends. Is the other half stuck in your nose?
    Nope, my kid's nose.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I was very partial to those big squarish, semi translucent erasers, yum!