Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Hair?

Haircuts

My wife cut my hair about six weeks ago, using an inexpensive hair trimmer that we ordered on Amazon. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. It's about time for another cut.

She correctly does not trust me to cut her hair, so she is actually going to her hair salon on Monday. She has to show up with her hair wet and wait in the car until the salon texts her. Also, she is having a Zoom meeting with the stylist on Sunday, so that the stylist can see her hair dry and talk about what she wants with the cut. The salon is using physical distancing and reducing the number of customers. We debated whether this was too risky of an activity, but decided the risk was fairly small.

I went to Navy boot camp in the summer of 1977. My hair right now is the longest it has been in 43 years.
    Bob Green

I was going to buy a trimmer and cut my hair to about 1/4 inch length, ran the concept past my wife who said fine, she'd do the same thing. Off to plan B (no cut til Gert is ready for me in two weeks)...

My daughter cut my sons hair lol.
    Quarantine cut.

Poor kid has spots all over.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    My daughter cut my sons hair lol.
    Quarantine cut.

Poor kid has spots all over.
    Not bad for quarantine effort.

My little brother cut his own hair once. It looked like someone had been playing golf and not replacing the divots.

What my first cut in 3.5 months will probably look like next week:

300px-Close_up_of_hand_shearer.jpg

Solo operator, single chair, wearing a mask. Not sure if I'll get a wash/condition/cut/blow dry or show up with wet, clean hair and say, "you've got 4 minutes; be careful; make it respectable; see you again in 3 months."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Headed to the lake for a waterfront campout with friends in a little while, so it'll be Willie braids for about 36 hours for me.
    willie_nelson_braids_sold.jpg

Just got back from a haircut (we have left NY for more remote parts). Last haircut was in late February - I normally am cut every 2-3 months so it was long but not horrible. Haircutter and I wore masks the whole time. Removed the relevant ear loop so she could get near the ear. In and out in about 10 minutes. They were cleaning the chairs and area after each cut and alternating between two chairs, with three people working in a large room that normally seats about 10.

Early in the process I grew out a beard for three weeks - longest of my life. Way too many splotches of gray so I got rid of it. Now that I don't have to go to an office I shave every third day or so rather than about six days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just got back from a haircut (we have left NY for more remote parts). Last haircut was in late February - I normally am cut every 2-3 months so it was long but not horrible. Haircutter and I wore masks the whole time. Removed the relevant ear loop so she could get near the ear. In and out in about 10 minutes. They were cleaning the chairs and area after each cut and alternating between two chairs, with three people working in a large room that normally seats about 10.

Early in the process I grew out a beard for three weeks - longest of my life. Way too many splotches of gray so I got rid of it. Now that I don't have to go to an office I shave every third day or so rather than about six days a week.
    Bah. Embrace the grey! My beard started greying in my mid-20s. I decided it made me look distinguished.

Bought myself some Beast Clippers. Makes it ridiculously easy to do the back of the head.
    The cut I gave myself, with a bit of help from my wife for the top part, which I didn't want to buzz, is every bit as good as what I get from professionals.
    I may never go back to spending money on a haircut.

Flowbee?

Anyone use this? One of my former partners does (and posted on FB about it).

Something about attaching something to a vacuum cleaner and using on my hair bothers me...

I guess it's actually been around for a while...not one of those pandemic-created "inventions" we keep getting ads about (e.g., every new/portable/mini fitness product ever invented).
    Last edited by duke74; 06-13-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Bah. Embrace the grey! My beard started greying in my mid-20s. I decided it made me look distinguished.
    There's good grey and bad grey. Good grey is sprinkled in consistently - I am fine with that. Bad grey is the Rasheed Wallace style randomly placed blotches. That is what I had.

Genetics would say that I would be largely bald by now and I have fought that off fairly well - a small sunroof on the back of my head and the hairline isn't where it used to be, but it is holding up. So I count my blessings.

Tried the Flowbee back in the early '90s (coupla good years there). It was not pretty -- the haircut that is. A follically challenged friend had one and it jammed on my then thick mane. It was a painful extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Anyone use this? One of my former partners does (and posted on FB about it).

Something about attaching something to a vacuum cleaner and using on my hair bothers me...

I guess it's actually been around for a while...not one of those pandemic-created "inventions" we keep getting ads about (e.g., every new/portable/mini fitness product ever invented).
    The flowbee has long been a family joke.

My nephew has used this time to try Grecian Formula. Last time we were together, I called him on it. I guess it wasn't particularly nice to ask what happened to his grey hair. Yes, he is younger than me - by 10 years and a day. I'm the holdout among the siblings - not much noticable grey and I don't color. I just claim that those strands are blond to the root.

As to haircuts, I have the incredible shrinking hair so it takes a while for any additional length to be noticeable. Last cut was in January.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    My nephew has used this time to try Grecian Formula. Last time we were together, I called him on it. I guess it wasn't particularly nice to ask what happened to his grey hair. Yes, he is younger than me - by 10 years and a day. I'm the holdout among the siblings - not much noticable grey and I don't color. I just claim that those strands are blond to the root.
    I found a couple new gray hairs this morning in fairly prominent locations near the front of my scalp. Debating options now.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The flowbee has long been a family joke.
    Flowbee was memorialized in Wayne's World as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Flowbee was memorialized in Wayne's World as I recall.
    That was the Suck Kut. “It certainly does suck.”

First haircut since early March. Much more comfortable:

220px-George_Clooney_2016.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    First haircut since early March. Much more comfortable:

220px-George_Clooney_2016.jpg
    You haven't aged a date since I met you however many years ago that was - and again at the Alabama game.