Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I guess your ‘OK’ is my ‘good’.

Regardless, getting back on topic, Andrew isn’t like Matt.
    So what do you see from Andrew?

I see Andrew someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    So what do you see from Andrew?
    I think your pros/cons list was pretty good. He has elite size, strong IQ, good distributor, takes care of the ball (+2.0 A/T ratio), incredibly crafty getting to the rim. But his weaknesses are pretty apparent: poor shooter and poor athleticism. He’s a PG and hopefully can play off the ball.

Maybe a poorman’s Shaun Livingston? I’d love to see Andrew post up smaller PGs and then pass out if he’s about to get doubled. He has the size and the IQ to easily pull that off.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I think your pros/cons list was pretty good. He has elite size, strong IQ, good distributor, takes care of the ball (+2.0 A/T ratio), incredibly crafty getting to the rim. But his weaknesses are pretty apparent: poor shooter and poor athleticism. He’s a PG and hopefully can play off the ball.

Maybe a poorman’s Shaun Livingston? I’d love to see Andrew post up smaller PGs and then pass out if he’s about to get doubled. He has the size and the IQ to easily pull that off.
    In theory, I'd love to see the bolded as well. But do PGs actually do this these days? And no, I'm not talking about some NBA comparison. I'm talking about above average college PGs.

I'm being slightly nitpicky, so I apologize. But I don't often see post-ups out of college PGs - so I sort of suspect that we won't be seeing it out of Nembhard.

Agree with others. Don't think Duke lands Nembhard. Just can't see it, personally.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    In theory, I'd love to see the bolded as well. But do PGs actually do this these days? And no, I'm not talking about some NBA comparison. I'm talking about above average college PGs.

I'm being slightly nitpicky, so I apologize. But I don't often see post-ups out of college PGs - so I sort of suspect that we won't be seeing it out of Nembhard.

Agree with others. Don't think Duke lands Nembhard. Just can't see it, personally.

- Chillin
    It's a great point. I don't think so. I mean, how often do you have a PG who is 2-3 inches taller and 15-30 lbs heavier than the opposing PG? Tre Jones had 2 inches on Winston, but they weighed the same amount.

Also, it takes a lot of work to read the right play when you're in the paint. And it also requires big men who aren't going to clog the paint.

In the NBA, players are so much more versatile with better shooting that it makes guard posting up so much easier.

That said, would love to see a big Duke PG do it.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

It's a great point. I don't think so. I mean, how often do you have a PG who is 2-3 inches taller and 15-30 lbs heavier than the opposing PG? Tre Jones had 2 inches on Winston, but they weighed the same amount.

Also, it takes a lot of work to read the right play when you're in the paint. And it also requires big men who aren't going to clog the paint.

In the NBA, players are so much more versatile with better shooting that it makes guard posting up so much easier.

That said, would love to see a big Duke PG do it.
    This brings up two key points:
    - PGs aren't generally comfortable doing this. Post play is a learned skill, and most PGs have spent their formative years NOT playing with their backs to the basket on offense. Not saying it couldn't happen, but you aren't likely to find many 18 year old PGs who are adept at playing from the post.
    - As you mention, it would require bigs who can step outside and command the attention of their man. Otherwise, the opposing big will just hang out down there and double if your PG gets too close. Looking at next year's team (just for reference), playing Baker and Hurt at the 4/5 would absolutely work in this sense. But a team with Mark Williams at center and Johnson/Brakefield/Coleman at the PF spot probably wouldn't allow for such a strategy to work.

But the biggest hurdle in my opinion remains the first: it's just really rare for a young PG to be comfortable posting up.

What is the timeframe for a decision here?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    What is the timeframe for a decision here?
    It was supposed to be today, right? shrug

Everything I’m seeing tends to suggest Gonzaga.

Without an offer, doesn't seem like Duke is an option

Nembhard Commits to Gonzaga

Just announced and all over the internet. Gonzaga is going to have a talented team this upcoming season and looks to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Just announced and all over the internet. Gonzaga is going to have a talented team this upcoming season and looks to keep it going.
    I guess he wanted some social distance, from everyone.

I never got the feeling he was interested in Duke. In fact, it's beginning to seem like every high profile transfer these days throws Duke out as an option just to generate buzz and get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I never got the feeling he was interested in Duke. In fact, it's beginning to seem like every high profile transfer these days throws Duke out as an option just to generate buzz and get attention.
    Moreover Duke was never particularly interested in him.

Time for a thread title change.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Really think his experience would have been very valuable. '21-22 is shaping up to be an alarmingly young team if both Hurt and Moore depart after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilStop View Post
    Really think his experience would have been very valuable. '21-22 is shaping up to be an alarmingly young team if both Hurt and Moore depart after the season.
    Alas. Time to move on (and probably retire this thread).

But will they be alarmingly unathletic? That is the true question.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Pretty sure we've said something along these lines, to some degree or another, every year for the past half-decade
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

As far as young, this year Duke has SRs, JGold and Tapé and JR, Baker and Sophs, Hurt and Moore...

Next year, Duke could possible have SR Baker, Sophs, Brakefield, Coleman, and possibly Williams, Roach & Steward.

In this day and age of college basketball, one year of playing experience (where the player averages approximately 25-33% game time per game) is just as impactful to a team.