Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looked up the All-NBA Defensive team, which has been selected since 1968-1969. I found two Duke players listed -- one discussed here and one not. Who are they? Highlight below to see the answer.

Shane Battier and Luol Deng
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Looked up the All-NBA Defensive team, which has been selected since 1968-1969. I found two Duke players listed -- one discussed here and one not. Who are they? Highlight below to see the answer.

Shane Battier and Luol Deng
    One was MUCH thinner when he played vs his NBA physique.

5 Billy Kings.

Just having fun here -- was going to chime in but can't find career floor slapping stats anywhere. Wojo is a lock but big man is less clear. Maybe Amile?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Shane Battier
    Grant Hill
    Shelden Williams
    Billy King
    Tommy Amaker

These are all NDPoY. Could have added Wojo, but only had room for five.

Looked at career per game stats only. Shane is 6th and 5th in blocks per game and steals per game; Hill is 10th and 6th; Laettner is 7th and 11th (est.)
    Yep, and I saw Bobby Hurley and Tre Jones at least equal Amaker. Too many great Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Yep, and I saw Bobby Hurley and Tre Jones at least equal Amaker. Too many great Blue Devils.
    Many many great Blue Devils, but never too many!

My 5, picked when I first saw the headline (it took me about 3 seconds to make my choices) and before reading any posts.
    1. Billy King
    2. Tommy Amaker
    3. Shane Battier
    4. Grant Hill
    5. The Landlord (Shelden Williams)

Zion was definitely a unique defender, especially teamed with RJ and Tre'. Perhaps if he had followed his heart's desire and had stayed a second year...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Amaker and King excelled at keeping their men in front of them (and close by, too!). Tre and Hurley were a notch or so below them in that regard.

His last two years, Johnny Dawkins was better defensively than Tre or Hurley, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I'd prefer to stay positive, but since you asked... the best Duke team made up of players with the highest offense/defense ratios. If

Jahlil Okafor
    Jabari Parker
    JJ Redick
    Austin Rivers
    Kyrie Irving

But I was in a hurry--did I misread the directions?
    Ha, that is a more difficult question. Redick was a good defender by the time he left Duke so I'd remove him, and I'd remove Kyrie from almost all Duke lists because of the small number of games. So I think the best offense/defense ratios would look something like:

Austin Rivers
    Marty Pocius
    Brandon Ingram
    Jabari Parker
    Jahlil Okafor

Obviously, our OADs have generally leaned pretty heavily towards offense so that dominates the list...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

My 5, picked when I first saw the headline (it took me about 3 seconds to make my choices) and before reading any posts.
    1. Billy King
    2. Tommy Amaker
    3. Shane Battier
    4. Grant Hill

Zion was definitely a unique defender, especially teamed with RJ and Tre'. Perhaps if he had followed his heart's desire and had stayed a second year...
    4 year players tend to get better at D.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

1. Billy King
    2. Tommy Amaker
    3. Shane Battier
    4. Grant Hill

As good as he was in college, I wasn't terribly surprised that his defensive prowess didn't translate as well to the NBA.

I'm late to this party, but this would be my 5:

Tommy Amaker
    Grant Hill
    Shane Battier
    Zion Williamson
    Elton Brand

I wanted to fit Justise Winslow in here too, but it's hard to fit him in. I don't think he gets enough credit for how insanely good of a defender he. He's had a lot of injury setbacks thus far in his NBA career, but I really think he could be All-NBA first team if he stays healthy.

Billy King should’ve been nicknamed
    “Disruptor”

My five+:
    King
    Amaker
    Shane
    Shelden
    Zion/Grant

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I wanted to fit Justise Winslow in here too, but it's hard to fit him in. I don't think he gets enough credit for how insanely good of a defender he. He's had a lot of injury setbacks thus far in his NBA career, but I really think he could be All-NBA first team if he stays healthy.
    You mean All-NBA defensive first team, right? You are talking about Winslow being one of the 5 best defenders in the league. You are not talking about him supplanting Harden or Lebron or KD or someone like that from the All-NBA first team, are you?

-Jason "and please explain how you could be old enough to include Amaker and Grant on your all-defensive team, but not old enough to include Billy King. Go ahead and ask Grant who was a better defender between him and Billy. He would laugh at the question, I guarantee it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You mean All-NBA defensive first team, right?
    Yes, that was a typo. I think he has the potential to get on the same level as guys like Marcus Smart, Patrick Beverly, and Tony Allen. Not LeBron and KD.

-Jason "and please explain how you could be old enough to include Amaker and Grant on your all-defensive team, but not old enough to include Billy King. Go ahead and ask Grant who was a better defender between him and Billy. He would laugh at the question, I guarantee it" Evans
    I'm definitely not old enough to have seen Amaker and King play at Duke, but I can use basketball reference and youtube.

King was a great defender, but his offensive contributions are pretty minimal. This is a pretty open ended question. I chose to make the best all-around team (2-way players), rather than just a team who can play 1 side of the ball. King and Amaker would be a pretty limited offensive back court. I'm pretty sure the team with Grant would beat the team with Billy (and no Grant).
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-15-2020 at 01:20 PM.

So, I have an interesting offshoot of this to poll folks on. Rather than the best five Duke guys, I want to know your pick from all Dukies in the following 5 categories:

Best one-on-one defender: ____________
    Best help defender: ____________
    Best shot blocker: ____________
    Best at getting steals: ____________
    Best at drawing charges: ____________

-Jason "you can, of course, name the same player in various categories" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'll start...

Best one-on-one defender: Billy King (not really all that close)
    Best help defender: Shane Battier (again, this one was easy)
    Best shot blocker: Shelden Williams (Elton and Zion really coming close here)
    Best at getting steals: Chris Duhon (soooo close with Amaker)
    Best at drawing charges: Shane Battier (another easy pick)

I'll start...

My choices except for Best at getting steals. I'm thinking Zion here, because of his quickness, basketball IQ (great anticipation) and his leaping ability.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'll start...

I think you're missing one here - most versatile defender. To me, that is Grant Hill in a landslide. With the possible exception of Zion, Grant is - in my view - the only Duke player who was truly capable of defending 1-5. Not just in switches, but for extended stretches of time.

FWIW, I would also put Grant up as the best overall defender. He was not quite in King's class on the ball, but was damn good in that respect. We don't win the 1991 Championship without Grant locking up Stacey Augmon, or reach the 1994 title game without him doing a number on NPOY Glenn Robinson. And while Shane is the gold standard in team/off the ball defense, Hill was outstanding in that respect, too, and a much better individual defender than Battier And then you add in the versatility to truly guard multiple positions.

So, I have an interesting offshoot of this to poll folks on. Rather than the best five Duke guys, I want to know your pick from all Dukies in the following 5 categories:

Best one-on-one defender: ____________
    Best help defender: ____________
    Best shot blocker: ____________
    Best at getting steals: ____________
    Best at drawing charges: ____________

-Jason "you can, of course, name the same player in various categories" Evans
    I like this question! Interested to see the replies..

There has been no love hor Giminski or Denton. Both were very good defenders.