Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Leaving out Amaker or King is folly. 'Course, if you don't remember them...
    No no no. Even if you do not remember Billy King you are still required to include him on your team. He's almost certainly the greatest one-on-one defender in Duke history (Shane is the best help defender, IMO).

Youngsters, there was once this stud named Marc Macon. He played for Temple and, as a freshman, he averaged better than 20 ppg on better than 42% 3-pointers. In an era where almost everyone stayed 4 years in college, Macon was a 2nd team All-American as a freshman and everyone named him the freshman of the yaer. He was probably the most feared offensive player in the land... as a freshman.

In the 1988 NCAA tournament, Duke faced Temple, the #1 seed in the East Regional. It was the regional final and freshman Macon had scored 20+ points in every game of the tournament so far. The kid looked like he was going to lead John Cheney to the promised land of the final four... but K put Billy King on Marc Macon.

Macon shot 4-15 in the first half. King stayed in his grill and he kept firing away. He shot 2-14 in the second half. That's 6-29 on the game. Among those 29 shots, 7 were airballs. So, the best offensive player in the country had more airballs than baskets in the regional final.

What's more, everyone who watched Macon's career agreed that he was utterly broken after that game. The next season his scoring total dipped to 18 ppg and he shot just 32% from 3. King hadn't just wrecked him for that one regional final. He had wrecked the kid's entire next season. Macon seemed to recover a bit as a junior and senior, but in reality he was never as good as he was a freshman... up until he ran into Billy King.

Billy King scored a grand total of 7 points in the 2 East Regional games... not 7 ppg, 7 points total. He did not have a lot of rebounds or assists. But, when the time came to name the All-Regional team, Billy King was one of the 5 players on it. He is the lowest scoring player in NCAA history to make an All-Regional team.

Leaving Billy King off your list of the best Duke defenders should be grounds for an infraction from the DBR mod team

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Shane Battier
    Grant Hill
    Shelden Williams
    Billy King
    Tommy Amaker

These are all NDPoY. Could have added Wojo, but only had room for five.

Looked at career per game stats only. Shane is 6th and 5th in blocks per game and steals per game; Hill is 10th and 6th; Laettner is 7th and 11th (est.)
    This is objectively the correct answer.

A few guys that I think don't get enough due for defense are Lance Thomas, Amile and Justise. But there's no way they can crack the top 5 ahead of Grant and Billy.

I'll ask the question - would Tre have been able to challenge Tommy if he stayed four years?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I'll ask the question - would Tre have been able to challenge Tommy if he stayed four years?
    I’ll say no. Kenny Smith said that a Tommy was the only player he ever faced that Kenny had to just turn his back to the defender just to get the ball over half court.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It would be so much fun seeing this lineup play defense. It would also be an offensive juggernaut due to fast break points off of turnovers. Shane would be like a Fleet Admiral deploying his forces and anticipating the opponent's reactions. It really wouldn't even be fair. Can any other school boast such a list of NDPoY?

For an internet opinion question, there is surprisingly little room for argument. Kind of like asking who is the best college basketball coach in North Carolina

I would, however, like to give Chris Carrawell an honorable mention. Probably the most tenacious defender we have had.
    Or like asking who is the best college basketball coach.

I miss Tre...

But Shane, Shane, Shane. Magnificent.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

That's the sad part

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No no no. Even if you do not remember Billy King you are still required to include him on your team. He's almost certainly the greatest one-on-one defender in Duke history (Shane is the best help defender, IMO).

Youngsters, there was once this stud named Marc Macon. He played for Temple and, as a freshman, he averaged better than 20 ppg on better than 42% 3-pointers. In an era where almost everyone stayed 4 years in college, Macon was a 2nd team All-American as a freshman and everyone named him the freshman of the yaer. He was probably the most feared offensive player in the land... as a freshman.

In the 1988 NCAA tournament, Duke faced Temple, the #1 seed in the East Regional. It was the regional final and freshman Macon had scored 20+ points in every game of the tournament so far. The kid looked like he was going to lead John Cheney to the promised land of the final four... but K put Billy King on Marc Macon.

Macon shot 4-15 in the first half. King stayed in his grill and he kept firing away. He shot 2-14 in the second half. That's 6-29 on the game. Among those 29 shots, 7 were airballs. So, the best offensive player in the country had more airballs than baskets in the regional final.

What's more, everyone who watched Macon's career agreed that he was utterly broken after that game. The next season his scoring total dipped to 18 ppg and he shot just 32% from 3. King hadn't just wrecked him for that one regional final. He had wrecked the kid's entire next season. Macon seemed to recover a bit as a junior and senior, but in reality he was never as good as he was a freshman... up until he ran into Billy King.

Billy King scored a grand total of 7 points in the 2 East Regional games... not 7 ppg, 7 points total. He did not have a lot of rebounds or assists. But, when the time came to name the All-Regional team, Billy King was one of the 5 players on it. He is the lowest scoring player in NCAA history to make an All-Regional team.

Leaving Billy King off your list of the best Duke defenders should be grounds for an infraction from the DBR mod team

I remember that game very well, as does Bill Cosby, but that was when he was supposed to be a good guy. But at least he was honest enough to wear a Duke shirt on the Cosby show when he lost a bet that I think he made with himself.

At any rate, getting back to the subject at hand, I was delighted that King ate the kid's lunch, but it's unfortunate that Macon never seemed to be the same player afterwards.

And to answer the question, Billy King, Shane Battier, and any of the other guys mentioned so far, all of whom were really good.

Coach K Era

TOP 5 (All NDPOY):

Tommy Amaker
    Grant Hill
    Billy King
    Shane Battier
    Shelden Williams

Honorable Mention: Steve Wojciechowski, Tre Jones, DeMarcus Nelson, Chris Duhon, Thomas Hill, Chris Carrawell, Robert Brickey

Now, can anyone do a top 5 pre=Coach K? I'd start with Jim Spanarkel and then maybe Randy Denton &/or Mike Gminski, but I'm not old enough to remember any before then.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Thanks for this. When talking bball with Nephew Alex, I would point to the Notre Dame game with David Rivers and say watch Billy King if you want to learn how to play defense. Here is a link to an article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-18f21372c54f/

I don't have nearly the basketball knowledge of most on this board but Billy King would be the first player I would put on the best defenders list.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Thanks for this. When talking bball with Nephew Alex, I would point to the Notre Dame game with David Rivers and say watch Billy King if you want to learn how to play defense. Here is a link to an article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-18f21372c54f/

I don't have nearly the basketball knowledge of most on this board but Billy King would be the first player I would put on the best defenders list.
    GREAT article! I admit that I had noticed it was a WaPo article which lowered my expectations, but then found myself enjoying how well written the article was. Sure enough, I glanced up to see the John Feinstein byline. He really captured the game and King's performance.

To test myself, I came up with my list before looking at anyone else’s. (Note: I have only seen highlights prior to about 1984.) I agree with those that have:

Tommy
    Billy
    Grant
    Shane
    And Shelden

Shane is the best team defender I have seen in college basketball. Period. Totally game wrecker. Can’t even image him with current tendency to call the offensive charge.

Interestingly, Tommy (Falls Church/Fairfax), Billy (Sterling), and Grant (Reston) all hail from Northern Virginia.

I'll ask the question - would Tre have been able to challenge Tommy if he stayed four years?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Could be close, but I think I would still lean Tommy.

I agree with what seems the consensus of Shane, Billy King, Amaker, Grant, and Shelden.

My next 5 in the K era would be:

Zion -- made game-changing plays we've never seen anyone else from Duke make, could guard anyone on the court, great instincts, just lacking some refinement and judgment due to lack of experience
    Elton Brand
    Hurley
    Carrawell, with the versatility to guard point guards and Tim Duncan
    Winslow

I agree that Wojo gave maximum efforts and got a lot of steals but was also subject to being burned by top penetrators. See Turner, Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I agree with what seems the consensus of Shane, Billy King, Amaker, Grant, and Shelden.

My next 5 in the K era would be:

Zion -- made game-changing plays we've never seen anyone else from Duke make, could guard anyone on the court, great instincts, just lacking some refinement and judgment due to lack of experience
    Elton Brand
    Hurley
    Carrawell, with the versatility to guard point guards and Tim Duncan
    Winslow

I agree that Wojo gave maximum efforts and got a lot of steals but was also subject to being burned by top penetrators. See Turner, Wayne.
    I'd really rather not revisit that, thanks. Ugh.

Best overall defender, Shane. Best defensive highlight reel, Shane.

Greatest defensive effort and intensity, Wojo!

While I would not put Zion in my top five, the block is one of the top five defensive plays I have seen anyone make in a Duke uniform.

Goldwire, Blakeny, Nate James, Reggie Love*, and Casey Sanders - a bench team that could create havoc defensively

*had a hard time coming up with a good defensive bench PF - thought about a freshman Battier, but that felt like cheating - maybe Kubek - he was before my time - did he defend the 4 and did he come off the bench most of his career?

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Goldwire, Blakeny, Nate James, Reggie Love*, and Casey Sanders - a bench team that could create havoc defensively

*had a hard time coming up with a good defensive bench PF - thought about a freshman Battier, but that felt like cheating - maybe Kubek - he was before my time - did he defend the 4 and did he come off the bench most of his career?
    Reggie went from a freshman walk-on to a team captain over his career, so he certainly was a leader. His last year he only averaged about 10 minutes a game off the bench though, and that was his high water mark.

But, he also played football and he was Obama's body man. So he's done some things. I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Best overall defender, Shane. Best defensive highlight reel, Shane.

Greatest defensive effort and intensity, Wojo!
    Billy King was in a tier by himself. He was the best one on one defender I've seen. Shane was the best off the ball defender Duke has ever had. That's saying something when you have Zion to compare him with. Tommy Amaker was very good on the ball defender as well. Williams, well he was the Landlord and Grant was definitely in the top five.

GoDuke!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

One of Art Chandler's best announcing jobs after the game reading the stats (when that used to happen in Cameron.)

He announced the individual Notre Dame scores first, leaving for last "David Rivers, 9 points". Followed immediately with "...and for Duke, Billy King, 11 points."

Definitely agree

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I miss Tre...

But Shane, Shane, Shane. Magnificent.
    I've never heard Billy King called Magnificent before, but it's appropriate.