New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Retire in Peace, Al Jaffee

Note...not Rest, just Retire!

WOW. This is so cool. One of my favorite artists has decided to hang up his illustration tools, at least professionally. Thanks to my Dad, I grew up reading Mad Magazine. I still own the hundreds of them that he collected, and as a kid, I spent hours in his den sifting through old issues absorbed in the humor and the art work of the incredible talent that the magazine employed. Al Jaffee was a favorite (it's hard to choose a fav, so many of excellence to choose from). His most iconic creation was the back cover fold in, which never ceased to amaze me figuring out how he came up with them and pulled them off.

Still kicking at 99 years old, just not gifting us with his creations anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...qT2evV1kfa4GRA
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This makes me MAD, in a good way.

I loved MAD magazine, and would start with the fold-in. Great stuff. Very talented man. Glad he is still with us and able to finally retire!

A childhood favorite. He brought me lots of joy.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I loved MAD magazine, and would start with the fold-in. Great stuff. Very talented man. Glad he is still with us and able to finally retire!
    I’m sure he’s been able to retire for a while. Aside from MAD, he also worked a lot for Playboy, both very lucrative for artists.

The primary reason for the story now is that the next issue of MAD will be the last one with new material and Jaffee’s last fold-in. The magazine, like many others, has been having hard times, and the decision was made by ATT/Warner Media (who owns DC, which publishes MAD) to save money. They’ll still continue to publish reprinted material to maintain the trademark until they figure out a future path.