Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Isn't the content and message more important than mere words?
    To a degree? I mean, we are seeing more and more how much word choice matters in today's universe.

Yet another crazy nutcase points out that he is conflicted about resuming the season in light of everything else going on in America

(The headline is rather misleading)

Pelicans' Redick never wavered about restart https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...avered-restart

Victor Oladipo just said he’s not coming to Orlando. I am starting to really doubt the NBA can pull this off. Baseball, which is letting players stay home, may have a better model in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Victor Oladipo just said he’s not coming to Orlando. I am starting to really doubt the NBA can pull this off. Baseball, which is letting players stay home, may have a better model in retrospect.
    I never realized how much I would enjoy watching glorified batting practice - I turned on the TV and saw a bit of Yankees "summer camp" today. I believe they were supposed to practice at their facility in Tampa but shifted gears to NY as it is now safer here. It will be interesting to see if their model works. MLB can also afford to have a few guys bail or get sick more easily than basketball since the teams are so much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I never realized how much I would enjoy watching glorified batting practice - I turned on the TV and saw a bit of Yankees "summer camp" today. I believe they were supposed to practice at their facility in Tampa but shifted gears to NY as it is now safer here. It will be interesting to see if their model works. MLB can also afford to have a few guys bail or get sick more easily than basketball since the teams are so much bigger.
    Has Aaron Judge managed to get injured yet?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not yet, but just give him time. I hear there's a pool out there on who goes on the injured list first, Aaron or Stanton. On a serious note, Mike Trout is debating on whether to play or sit out. His wife is pregnant with their first child and he recognizes the danger of the Covid-19 virus. He wants to play this season but he hasn't fully made up his mind that he's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Nick Johnson says Hi.

There is no spitting in baseball or licking your fingers for pictures this will be hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    There is no spitting in baseball or licking your fingers for pictures this will be hard to watch.
    Not only that but the pitchers won't be allowed to lick their fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Well, we already know there's no crying in baseball.

And I trust you meant pitchers. If you meant pictures, it has whole different implications.

Net's Dinwiddie out with COVID. Beal out with shoulder injury.

Here's the list of opt-outs. It's extensive. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...2135hagvwm3jhl
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Doncic is something else. Incredible assists tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Doncic is something else.
    I caught some of the game. The modern NBA is really set up for his style. This raises the question* about how today's incredible scorers (Harden, Curry, Young, etc) would fare in the NBA of the late 80s and 90s. I've finally started watching The Last Dance, and those clips of what Jordan faced when driving against the Pistons or Knicks were just brutal (hate to admit it, but just makes what he did even more impressive).

Would any of the aforementioned guys be able to do what they do if the NBA still allowed hand-checking, really physical fouls, and packed the lane with bruising centers and forwards? I suspect that James would hold his own, though his style might be different (more power forward?). Harden and Curry obv would still be great shooters, but I wonder if they would have to change their styles (one improvement: Harden hopefully would not get the ridiculous calls he gets now). I would worry that Curry would get broken in half at some point. Would Westbrook = another AI?

As for Doncic, I think a lot of iso-drive scoring would be taken away. The step-back 3 hadn't really been "invented" yet, and most coaches back then would never stand for it. He still has impressive skills, but would he be any better than Kukoc was when he finally joined the NBA? (Kukoc played a bit "softer" though he was also taller...)

* One of things I've learned on DBR: "begs the question" != "raises the question"

Players who make the conference semi-finals will be allowed to have guests, who will have to quarantine. There are four guests per player, plus kids. Those with business relationships (including tattoo artists) are not allowed and they must have a "long-standing relationship." I would hate to be the person who has to rule on who is allowed and who isn't. The dynamics of WAGs descending on the bubble after two months will be fascinating - the NBA could make a fortune doing a reality show about this.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-enter-bubble

A here we are on the final day...

4 teams separated by half a game. I'm still unclear on whether the Spurs are at a disadvantage because they have played 2 less games and have one less win but also one less loss. I mean, are the Spurs currently tied for the #9 spot or are they a fraction of a percentage point behind? It is entirely possible that the Spurs will have fewer losses than a team that goes to the playoffs ahead of them. That's problematic in my mind.

It would be cleanest if two of the teams won tonight and two lost. That would be definitive, but if 3 of them win this is gonna be a mess. I know the league has tiebreakers to figure it out, but it just seems unfair in such a crazy season to use those tiebreakers that really have so little relation to where the teams are today.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

TV Ratings

In our sports starved world, can anybody speak to how TV ratings have been? All I can find via Google is this article:
    https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba...h-game-of-week

As noted in the article, August TV viewing is usually down. Not sure how these figures compare to typical regular season NBA games that are nationally televised. Says that golf, NASCAR, and WWE had better performing programs than the top rated NBA game last week, but the NBA did beat out MLB and NHL. Kinda surprising. Doesn't seem like very big numbers.

For those who are interested, JJ Redick has launched his own podcast company (contract was up with The Ringer) and has had some great guests on the first few episodes.

The latest episode features our own Jayson Tatum. Link to watch below. Also available on Spotify, Apple, etc.

https://twitter.com/jj_redick/status...499131905?s=20

He's already had on Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard and Stacey Abrams!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A here we are on the final day...

4 teams separated by half a game. I'm still unclear on whether the Spurs are at a disadvantage because they have played 2 less games and have one less win but also one less loss. I mean, are the Spurs currently tied for the #9 spot or are they a fraction of a percentage point behind? It is entirely possible that the Spurs will have fewer losses than a team that goes to the playoffs ahead of them. That's problematic in my mind.

It would be cleanest if two of the teams won tonight and two lost. That would be definitive, but if 3 of them win this is gonna be a mess. I know the league has tiebreakers to figure it out, but it just seems unfair in such a crazy season to use those tiebreakers that really have so little relation to where the teams are today.
    Memphis and Phoenix taking care of business this afternoon, which will eliminate the Spurs (even if they win tonight, 33-38 is a worse winning percentage than 34-39). All up to the Blazers (playing the very surprisingly frisky Nets) - Portland wins, they are 8 and Memphis 9, with Phoenix on the outside looking in despite an 8-0 bubble; Portland loses and we get a Memphis/Phoenix 8/9 matchup.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Memphis and Phoenix taking care of business this afternoon, which will eliminate the Spurs (even if they win tonight, 33-38 is a worse winning percentage than 34-39). All up to the Blazers (playing the very surprisingly frisky Nets) - Portland wins, they are 8 and Memphis 9, with Phoenix on the outside looking in despite an 8-0 bubble; Portland loses and we get a Memphis/Phoenix 8/9 matchup.
    I’m pulling for whichever team has the best chance to beat the Lakers, though I have a soft spot for Memphis because they have Grayson Allen, Tyus Jones, and Justise Winslow on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m pulling for whichever team has the best chance to beat the Lakers, though I have a soft spot for Memphis because they have Grayson Allen, Tyus Jones, and Justise Winslow on their roster.
    Then I think you have to pull for the Blazers. They match up best against the Lakers. Plus we’d get to see plenty of Gary, whose been seriously ballin’ in the bubble. He doesn’t start games for Portland, but he sure enough is on the floor at the end of games.