Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Woj says the NBA is going to have the draft lottery on Aug 25 and the draft on October 15th.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about the recent re-start drama. Our own Kyrie Irving is in the thick of it again, apparently arguing against a return to action. The players arguing against a return are doing so on the basis of 1) safety (duh), and 2) worries about distracting from the national social conversation.

On the other side, is LeBron, who is pushing to have a unified front and wants a return to basketball. I agree with Pat Beverly, who tweeted along the lines of, If LeBron is hooping, we all hooping.

Fauci has weighed in and supports the NBA's plan. But Florida isn't looking like a great destination lately with coronavirus cases rising...

About the sum of things?

Kyrie’s thoughts are, as always, all over the place. While his heart might be in the right place, he says things like “there’s something fishy going on” because there’s a star system in the NBA and the best players get paid more. I’m not sure why that’s fishy or why he conflated that issue with systemic racism, but it’s hard to get inside Kyrie’s head.

Also, take a look at that Patrick Beverly tweet again. I wouldn’t say he’s throwing his genuine support behind Lebron’s position here.

Not sure where to post this...but does anyone know if there will be any special, limited-time streaming packages for watching the conclusion of the NBA season? I had Sling for a 3 mo special this winter to watch Duke on the ACCN, but that ended in March (good timing, too, it turned out!) I don't subscribe to Disney+ or any ESPN streaming service. Any recs on something to buy just to watch the remaining 3mo or so of the season?

We have now passed the calendar date at which the 2018-19 season ended. The Raptors finished off the Warriors on June 13, 2019.

And the NBA is still a month and a half away from resuming the 2019-20 season, with plenty of questions remaining. Just my opinion, but I say pull the plug on the 2019-20 season now and look ahead to the next season.

By the way, Major League Baseball is really blowing a great opportunity to take the stage by not getting their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about the recent re-start drama. Our own Kyrie Irving is in the thick of it again, apparently arguing against a return to action. The players arguing against a return are doing so on the basis of 1) safety (duh), and 2) worries about distracting from the national social conversation.

On the other side, is LeBron, who is pushing to have a unified front and wants a return to basketball. I agree with Pat Beverly, who tweeted along the lines of, If LeBron is hooping, we all hooping.

Fauci has weighed in and supports the NBA's plan. But Florida isn't looking like a great destination lately with coronavirus cases rising...

About the sum of things?
    Good summary. Kyrie, as usual, is just doing a terrible job of trying lead. His case for not playing is based on the protests, and NOT Covid-19. I could understand any player not wanting to play based on concerns of endangering their own lives or their families, but not showing up for work because of the fight for social injustice is completely dumb. That's not going to accomplish anything. Getting back to playing and being in front of the media and cameras with a unified message against racial injustice would do so much for for this movement than staying at home and refusing to show up for work. Protesting is great, but until there is actual legislative action, none of this matters. Using the global NBA platform for protest would be huge.

I'm so done with Kyrie. He's such a fool. He may have good intentions, but he's a damn fool.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-15-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    We have now passed the calendar date at which the 2018-19 season ended. The Raptors finished off the Warriors on June 13, 2019.

And the NBA is still a month and a half away from resuming the 2019-20 season, with plenty of questions remaining. Just my opinion, but I say pull the plug on the 2019-20 season now and look ahead to the next season.

By the way, Major League Baseball is really blowing a great opportunity to take the stage by not getting their act together.
    Yes, the logic in all this eludes me...by choosing to finish "this" season, do we automatically truncate next season?

And yes, while I continue to have good feelings about Kyrie, he isn't winning any prizes for clarity and logic with his current "positions," if you can really discern what they are.

IMO if Lebron (on the Lakers) weren't a title favorite I feel like the NBA would have pulled the plug already.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    IMO if Lebron (on the Lakers) weren't a title favorite I feel like the NBA would have pulled the plug already.
    What? There's hundreds of millions of dollars in TV money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Good summary. Kyrie, as usual, is just doing a terrible job of trying lead. His case for not playing is based on the protests, and NOT Covid-19. I could understand any player not wanting to play based on concerns of endangering their own lives or their families, but not showing up for work because of the fight for social injustice is completely dumb. That's not going to accomplish anything. Getting back to playing and being in front of the media and cameras with a unified message against racial injustice would do so much for for this movement than staying at home and refusing to show up for work. Protesting is great, but until there is actual legislative action, none of this matters. Using the global NBA platform for protest would be huge.

I'm so done with Kyrie. He's such a fool. He may have good intentions, but he's a damn fool.
    I cannot help but agree with you.

I had always rooted for Kyrie but the past few years have diminished my interest in him substantially. While I do not doubt his intelligence (I think he is a smart guy), I get the sense that he has an incredibly inflated image of himself - and nothing about his behaviour has demonstrated selflessness or being a team guy. obviously his departure from both Cleveland and Boston did not help that image.

I have little doubt that there are NBA players who want to get back to work for the same reason that we want to get back to work – to make a living. Kyrie is an incredibly wealthy man. Sometimes when you are that wealthy, you forget that not everyone has your status. Even in the NBA.

I would love to get a better understanding of what his colleagues think of him. I would not be surprised if he is a very polarizing figure among his peers.

I anticipate that he does not give a damn what other people think – as that has appeared to be his m/o over the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Strong dissent here. There is major league money to be made from doing this. The owners want to earn something from their billion dollar investment, the players want to get paid. It is an easy call to restart the season just when the most important games are to be played. If you have to sacrifice a half-dozen or 10 regular season games next year to fit it all in, that is nothing compared to televising a full playoff this season.

Oh, and as for Kyrie, I hate to seem really cynical, but if he was healthy and the Nets were in a position to contend, rather than appearing to be one of the weakest teams coming back, am I the only one who thinks his attitude might be different?

-Jason "I bet we see the entire league take a knee for the anthem... how is that taking some of the focus off the protests?!?!?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Strong dissent here. There is major league money to be made from doing this. The owners want to earn something from their billion dollar investment, the players want to get paid. It is an easy call to restart the season just when the most important games are to be played. If you have to sacrifice a half-dozen or 10 regular season games next year to fit it all in, that is nothing compared to televising a full playoff this season.

Oh, and as for Kyrie, I hate to seem really cynical, but if he was healthy and the Nets were in a position to contend, rather than appearing to be one of the weakest teams coming back, am I the only one who thinks his attitude might be different?

-Jason "I bet we see the entire league take a knee for the anthem... how is that taking some of the focus off the protests?!?!?" Evans
    Jason - you may be correct about Kyrie. But I speculate that he would only be interested in coming back if it materially benefitted him. He seems so incredibly self centred that his focus will always be on what is good for Kyrie.

I would not want him on my team. Not only is he not a leader, he appears to be the inverse. I would want a grant hill/Shane Battier type as my leader – guys who put the team first on the court and off the court - Kyrie has years of rehabilitation until he would gain my trust as a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Jason - you may be correct about Kyrie. But I speculate that he would only be interested in coming back if it materially benefitted him. He seems so incredibly self centred that his focus will always be on what is good for Kyrie.

I would not want him on my team. Not only is he not a leader, he appears to be the inverse. I would want a grant hill/Shane Battier type as my leader – guys who put the team first on the court and off the court - Kyrie has years of rehabilitation until he would gain my trust as a leader.
    I enjoy watching Kyrie, but this is the umpteenth time he has put his foot in his mouth. This board was slow to turn on him, but I've been embarrassed by his association with Duke for many seasons now.

I'd prefer to have Justise Winslow on my team.

It appears that cancelling the season would allow the owners to invoke the force majeure clause of the collective bargaining agreement, which would greatly affect the revenue to players, particularly those with max contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, the logic in all this eludes me...by choosing to finish "this" season, do we automatically truncate next season?

And yes, while I continue to have good feelings about Kyrie, he isn't winning any prizes for clarity and logic with his current "positions," if you can really discern what they are.
    FWIW, prior to the pandemic, the NBA was already toying with the idea of a post-Thanksgiving start and a later finish in order to reduce overlap with the NFL, and take advantage of less competition for viewers in late June and July. The current circumstances effectively forced their hand to experiment with this calendar for the 2020-21 season, with a reasonably high likelihood that the change becomes permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    What? There's hundreds of millions of dollars in TV money to be made.
    Wait what??? I totally didn't know the NBA had a rich TV contract! I thought the games were just covered via CB radio! Thanks for the update. Obviously, I'm being a little tongue in cheek (it's part of having fun with the NBA - like insisting that the 1985 lottery was rigged). But I dunno man if the NBA was staring at last year's Lakers and a Denver v. Milwaukee finals (instead of Lebron looking to cement his legacy while playing for the league's most famous franchise) they might be a little less gun ho to wreck next season while playing this season in a random gym in Disney World. This has always been a league where stars rule and the biggest star of this century is certainly a factor in these decisions. FYI I used to live in Orlando and it's hilarious that the NBA could play it's Championship in the Disney gym which makes like a mid level college stadium look impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Eh maybe but don't forget he quit on a playoff team last year (that was much better than the Nets) so maybe playoffs just aren't his thing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I enjoy watching Kyrie, but this is the umpteenth time he has put his foot in his mouth. This board was slow to turn on him, but I've been embarrassed by his association with Duke for many seasons now.

I'd prefer to have Justise Winslow on my team.
    I agree Kyrie is a strange dude, especially in his commentaries. But I enjoy watching him play and am proud to claim him as a Blue Devil. The winning shot in the NBA championship doesn't hurt, of course. And, as far as I can tell, he has always had the support of his teammates and coaches. And if he didn't, why would he be a VP of the NBPA?

Look, I understand many people feel as you both do. I must have more tolerance for idiosyncratic behavior -- or something. Anyway, we don't want to get a rep as a fan site that "eats its own."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    FWIW, prior to the pandemic, the NBA was already toying with the idea of a post-Thanksgiving start and a later finish in order to reduce overlap with the NFL, and take advantage of less competition for viewers in late June and July. The current circumstances effectively forced their hand to experiment with this calendar for the 2020-21 season, with a reasonably high likelihood that the change becomes permanent.
    This may be down the list of considerations, but that would seem to jeopardize participation in the Olympics, which are scheduled to begin July 23, 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree Kyrie is a strange dude, especially in his commentaries. But I enjoy watching him play and am proud to claim him as a Blue Devil. The winning shot in the NBA championship doesn't hurt, of course. And, as far as I can tell, he has always had the support of his teammates and coaches. And if he didn't, why would he be a VP of the NBPA?

Look, I understand many people feel as you both do. I must have more tolerance for idiosyncratic behavior -- or something. Anyway, we don't want to get a rep as a fan site that "eats its own."
    I'm with sage on Kyrie. I know he's a strange cat but he's still a Dukie for me. I'm beginning to wonder if Kyrie is into some of Bill Walton's stash.

GoDuke!