Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The NBA is coming back

Tomorrow, the NBA will vote (and almost certainly approve) a plan for 22 teams to resume play starting July 31 at Disney. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-season-games

All teams within 6 games of 8th place in the playoff standings will be invited to resume play. That means we get 9 teams in the East and 13 teams in the West. The teams will play 8 games. After those 8 games, if the 9th place team is within 4 games of the 8th place team they will have a play-in game. The 9th place team would have to win twice to advance over the 8th place team. I have no idea what they will do if there are teams tied for 9th place, which is very possible given how bunched things are in the West.

Still a lot of details to be announced but the stuff above is the most significant details. Zion and Duke South have a real chance of reaching the playoffs. Once teams start practicing, we will find out if Kevin Durant can join the Nets for the playoffs (I'm betting he will be ready to go).

There are a ton of interesting storylines here starting with... what will the 8-game schedule look like? Do they load up the lower tier West teams with games against each other to help sort out who will be in the 8/9 spots?

-Jason "I just wish this was starting before July 31!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Finally! Also, they have said October 12 will be the final day possible, if the NBA finals go to game 7, meaning this will bleed well into the NFL season.

Next season will probably open on Christmas day 2020. I hope the NBA will just go from Christmas through August going forward. This will essentially separate the NFL and NBA seasons, and give us NBA all through the summer! Everybody (except MLB) wins!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tomorrow, the NBA will vote (and almost certainly approve) a plan for 22 teams to resume play starting July 31 at Disney. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-season-games

All teams within 6 games of 8th place in the playoff standings will be invited to resume play. That means we get 9 teams in the East and 13 teams in the West. The teams will play 8 games. After those 8 games, if the 9th place team is within 4 games of the 8th place team they will have a play-in game. The 9th place team would have to win twice to advance over the 8th place team. I have no idea what they will do if there are teams tied for 9th place, which is very possible given how bunched things are in the West.

Still a lot of details to be announced but the stuff above is the most significant details. Zion and Duke South have a real chance of reaching the playoffs. Once teams start practicing, we will find out if Kevin Durant can join the Nets for the playoffs (I'm betting he will be ready to go).

There are a ton of interesting storylines here starting with... what will the 8-game schedule look like? Do they load up the lower tier West teams with games against each other to help sort out who will be in the 8/9 spots?

-Jason "I just wish this was starting before July 31!!" Evans
    July 31?? Isn't that the start of football season??

Ratings should be through the roof.

Beyond a “this is so wacky” response, I’m actually hoping this will bring to a head the ticket refund I’d like for the game I bought tickets for in April.

If they do start running the NBA season from Xmas through August, I wonder what would happen for team USA basketball with the summer Olympics? That would be the only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    If they do start running the NBA season from Xmas through August, I wonder what would happen for team USA basketball with the summer Olympics? That would be the only problem.
    If the NBA deems there is more money to be made by going XMas to August, then they will hardly consider how that would impact an international event that happens once every 4 years. If need be, they can send the best of the GLeague or have teams provide someone who is 10th man or worse from their roster. Seeing as international NBA stars would not be playing for their home country either, the 3rd tier Americans against the 2nd tier international players is still likely to result in lots of gold for Team USA.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Finally! Also, they have said October 12 will be the final day possible, if the NBA finals go to game 7, meaning this will bleed well into the NFL season.

Next season will probably open on Christmas day 2020. I hope the NBA will just go from Christmas through August going forward. This will essentially separate the NFL and NBA seasons, and give us NBA all through the summer! Everybody (except MLB) wins!
    The WNBA doesn't win in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Ratings should be through the roof.
    So the ceiling is not the roof?

If the NBA deems there is more money to be made by going XMas to August, then they will hardly consider how that would impact an international event that happens once every 4 years. If need be, they can send the best of the GLeague or have teams provide someone who is 10th man or worse from their roster. Seeing as international NBA stars would not be playing for their home country either, the 3rd tier Americans against the 2nd tier international players is still likely to result in lots of gold for Team USA.
    Yeah, perhaps on Olympic gold. The current coach, Mr. Popovich, does not inspire my confidence that the previous coach did.

Yeah, while I love Olympic basketball, I'd much prefer NBA every summer. In addition to G-Leaguers, team USA could also start recruiting some of the best college players as well, since the college basketball season should stay intact. Maybe this would be good opening for the World Cup of Basketball (FIBA) to move to the new NBA off season (between August and December) and become the bigger, more prestigious event with NBA players, the way Soccer's world cup has always been.

Another huge winner with a shifted NBA season this would be season-long fantasy basketball. It's always difficult getting people to do fantasy hoops, since it begins right in the thick of football season, but with fantasy football wrapping up before Christmas, it's game on

Baseball might shoot itself in the foot by not coming together(players & owners). Us baseball fans might just find ourselves without the sport this season. If that happens, I think attendance will be down when they do get back on the diamond.

Everybody (except MLB) wins!
    I don’t watch the NBA so MLB still wins on my TV.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Baseball might shoot itself in the foot by not coming together(players & owners). Us baseball fans might just find ourselves without the sport this season. If that happens, I think attendance will be down when they do get back on the diamond.
    I was a huge baseball fan in the 80s and early 90s. The 1994 strike coincided with some life events which game me a lot more options on how to spend my free time (aka arriving on campus as Duke), but I have never really gone back to caring about baseball.

I knew all along this virus nonsense was just an NBA plot to get Zion into the playoffs.

I wish training camp started soon and we had real games right after July 4th. No matter what, I am ready for this. Hope my wife doesnt have a new series she wants to watch in August.

With the break and the abbreviated season, who does this benefit?
    Giannis will now be healthy, but did this break the Bucks rhythm?
    The Lakers have the oldest guy who is affected in Lebron, so I am guessing the break benefits him.
    George and Kawhi missed a lot of games, so I am guessing this will help the Clips.

I haven't read the latest information, but my understanding from prior discussions was that the players would all isolate themselves at a single complex near Disney world, and remain sequestered in order to allow the "bubble" to remain covid-free. This brings up a number of questions for me. And again, I haven't read through the latest stories so many some of these have already been answered:

- I understand isolating all of the players. You also have to isolate the coaches, assistants, and allow some number of family members. But as you start expanding the circle outwards to including more people, where do you draw the line for who gets sequestered? What about the refs? Or the auxiliary people required to put on the games - cameramen, announcers, facility crews to work the lights and sweep the floors, the marketing people who produce the hype videos on twitter, etc. What if one player has their own trainer, or their own massage therapist? What about food - does each team have their own caterers, and will that whole staff be sequestered too? If not, then there is some small amount of risk that the virus could be introduced.

- What happens if a player tests positive for covid? On JJ Redick's podcast from a couple weeks ago he described a letter that had been sent to the players from Adam Silver, things were in the very preliminary stages of discussion then but the message was that prior to the league resuming, all of the players would have to be willing to assume some level of risk. The consequence is that if a player tests positive, they will not immediately shut down the whole league. If they're not ready to assume that risk, then they cannot restart. Assuming this live of reasoning still holds, then if a player does test positive will they simply remove him and the rest of the team continue playing?

- What sort of social dynamic will be in play as the players remain isolated. As the playoffs drag on and certain teams advance, will some players feel a part of themselves that doesn't care as much about winning because they really want to go home and see their families?

I think this is all fascinating and I'm really interested to see how it plays out. I'm curious how playing in empty arenas will be for the players. I'm also curious as to what sort of lessons will be learned and what other leagues can take from it, including college basketball. We shall see...

I don't want to go too much into it and cross over to a banned topic, but I think this is a very interesting question. My guess is that coaches, ancillary staff, refs and players would be sequestered in one "bubble" would all be tested and then enter a quarantine some time before the first game. Cleaning staff, maintenance crews, and broadcasters would be coming in from their usual areas, and might or might not sequester depending on circumstances. (I.e. if you live in Orlando and already work at Disney world, this won't change your environment very much.) The whole thing is kind of a microcosm for the problem of trying to "sequester" people in general, but enough...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I haven't read the latest information, but my understanding from prior discussions was that the players would all isolate themselves at a single complex near Disney world, and remain sequestered in order to allow the "bubble" to remain covid-free. This brings up a number of questions for me. And again, I haven't read through the latest stories so many some of these have already been answered:

- I understand isolating all of the players. You also have to isolate the coaches, assistants, and allow some number of family members. But as you start expanding the circle outwards to including more people, where do you draw the line for who gets sequestered? What about the refs? Or the auxiliary people required to put on the games - cameramen, announcers, facility crews to work the lights and sweep the floors, the marketing people who produce the hype videos on twitter, etc. What if one player has their own trainer, or their own massage therapist? What about food - does each team have their own caterers, and will that whole staff be sequestered too? If not, then there is some small amount of risk that the virus could be introduced.

- What happens if a player tests positive for covid? On JJ Redick's podcast from a couple weeks ago he described a letter that had been sent to the players from Adam Silver, things were in the very preliminary stages of discussion then but the message was that prior to the league resuming, all of the players would have to be willing to assume some level of risk. The consequence is that if a player tests positive, they will not immediately shut down the whole league. If they're not ready to assume that risk, then they cannot restart. Assuming this live of reasoning still holds, then if a player does test positive will they simply remove him and the rest of the team continue playing?

- What sort of social dynamic will be in play as the players remain isolated. As the playoffs drag on and certain teams advance, will some players feel a part of themselves that doesn't care as much about winning because they really want to go home and see their families?

I think this is all fascinating and I'm really interested to see how it plays out. I'm curious how playing in empty arenas will be for the players. I'm also curious as to what sort of lessons will be learned and what other leagues can take from it, including college basketball. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I knew all along this virus nonsense was just an NBA plot to get Zion into the playoffs.
    Oooh...so close, but then conspiracy mongering really is an artform. The entire NBA is conspiring to keep JJ's streak intact. (There will be a thread on IC devoted to this topic soon.)

There are actually a number of possible consequences. The rest of the basketball world could slowly sync their calendars, but that is a lot of countries so it would take a while.

In the short term, how would players who are fringe prospects handle things? International teams in leagues that look set to go this fall will be wanting players signed by September and if their first choices are not ready to make a decision, they will quickly move on down their list, but if the draft has not happened yet, will players take the international money before it disappears or go through the NBA process in the hopes of at least getting the $35,000 G League salary and the $50,000 bonus? Would the draft be moved to some time after the regular season once the order is set or not until after the playoffs? Imagine college coaches trying to juggle scholarships if players could still return in late August.

There will be no NBA Summer League this year, which is not only an opportunity for future NBA players to develop, but also a big opportunity for players who know that they will not be in the NBA to showcase themselves for international gigs. Between that and no March Madness or Portsmouth Invitational, some of the smaller schools guys will settling for a smaller first overseas paycheck unless they really get their film together and convince a coach or executive to take a chance.

If all the leagues run as scheduled, there could be a huge group of free agents from overseas leagues available in May or June 2021 that current rules would allow to sign with NBA teams for the end of the next season, which could get weird.

There could be some benefits. I would not mind if the college season was moved back a couple weeks so that all conference games can be played after the break again.