Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Anything to avoid cornhole.
    Complete aside but when did beanbag toss become Cornhole?

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Complete aside but when did beanbag toss become Cornhole?
    Darned if I know. Maybe when ESPN decided people were sufficiently bored that they would watch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Darned if I know. Maybe when ESPN decided people were sufficiently bored that they would watch anything.
    To be fair, they started with lumberjack competitions and the like. “Roots ESPN”

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    All sorts of issues involved here. The tax issue is one. But note this is just a renewal. Payment still has to be made. If there are no games, or no tickets for games, or some sort of lottery, what is to keep a donor from refusing to pay? Sure, Duke could sue, but would they? I suppose Duke could argue that the government prevented them from having attendance, but in that case the moral onus is on Duke to make good. Maybe they think the brand is so good that they can simply replace the current donors with new ones. And they might be right. But goodwill is hard to build and easy to lose.
    Many Iron Dukes members join and contribute to support Duke athletics, without the intent of securing rights to purchase season tickets. It’s called philanthropy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Many Iron Dukes members join and contribute to support Duke athletics, without the intent of securing rights to purchase season tickets. It’s called philanthropy.
    Sure, but the "donations" being discussed here aren't really philanthropic. They are mandatory if you want a seat at a coveted sporting event. And if you want a better seat or more seats you'd better "donate" more. There is a price list.

As far as I can tell, they were called donations due to a former tax structure that enabled 80% of the "donation" cost to be deducted from your taxes. Now it seems like a relic. Maybe some hope these donations will improve their kids' chances of gaining admission.

The cost of tickets is substantial but is nothing compared to the cost of the required "donation" that provides you with the opportunity to purchase seat tickets.

In that context I certainly understand why there might be a bit of anxiety as to how Duke will handle this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    ... I certainly understand why there might be a bit of anxiety as to how Duke will handle this issue.
    More of a sense of hopeless inevitability that we are going to be told we're on a short tether and we'd better like it or lump it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I would like to hear what the Duke fans realistically expect re home games (specifically men's basketball) will be like in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.
    I sense there may be a strong aroma of politically correct campus rules that could completely change the Cameron experience. For instance, how can you possibly practice "social distancing" when anyone weighing more than 120 pounds has to get. . .up close and personal. . .just to get to/from their seats upstairs. Those with seats near the aisles already know (knew) the feeling.
    Not to get political and then see this post disappear, but the overall climate on the Duke campus has changed greatly in recent years. Many would say for the worse. And let it be noted I was a student at Duke during the events of 1968 and the Kent State assaults of 1970. The first year I had season tickets to CIS was G-Man's senior season. But I have heard comments from Duke fans (both alumni and others) who feel it's now time. . .just to say goodbye to Duke.
    Back to the main subject. I will include below an excerpt from a recent announcement from the Allen Building folks. If this policy is in place, just how can there be public games in Cameron??
    All input is appreciated, and I do not intend to throw stones at anyone.
    As they say (said): "Peace!"

k

Some of the changes include the following:

All faculty, students, staff and visitors will be required to wear masks in public on campus and practice physical distancing.
    All students living on campus will be tested for coronavirus before they are permitted to begin classes.
    All students will complete daily health checks through a monitoring app and report concerning symptoms to the Student Health and Wellness.
    All students living in on-campus or off-campus housing will be expected to remain in the Durham area during the semester.
    On-campus dining centers will provide expanded take-out options and limited in-person service using reservation systems.

Its going to be so strange if there are no Crazies, it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds

If they played games in Cameron and no one was there, would Vitale still go into his canned shtick about the Cameron Crazies?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If they played games in Cameron and no one was there, would Vitale still go into his canned shtick about the Cameron Crazies?
    Of course he would.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Of course he would.
    ESPN will demand and get a Zoom broadcast of isolated Duke students being raucous. It would be super dumb to pipe the sounds into Cameron, but anything is possible, isn't it?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013