Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I guess that could be true. I consider sports to be something that requires at least some wee bit of running...waddling around in lime green pants flicking at a ball doesn't count.
    So, I guess that rules out corn hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hey! I thought dirty stuff wasn't allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Hey! I thought dirty stuff wasn't allowed here.
    As long as it’s not paired with a pickle ball joke.

Then again, something locked the “laughter” thread so who knows . . . .

I guess that could be true. I consider sports to be something that requires at least some wee bit of running...waddling around in lime green pants flicking at a ball doesn't count.
    Treading on thin ice here, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Treading on thin ice here, pal.
    every pandemic needs a provocateur!

As for cornhole, the day we got our new TV and I was looking for a sporting event to showcase the marvelous colors and clarity, the best I could find was was the Johnsonville (brats) Cornhole Championship...my wife didn't believe me until she saw the "live action" for herself. They wore masks. "That's a sport?" she queried...

As for cornhole, the day we got our new TV and I was looking for a sporting event to showcase the marvelous colors and clarity, the best I could find was was the Johnsonville (brats) Cornhole Championship...my wife didn't believe me until she saw the "live action" for herself. They wore masks. "That's a sport?" she queried...
    I imagine she can hardly wait for this event:

https://www.today.com/food/joey-ches...%20last%20year.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

And a bunch of Olympic sports- archery, shooting, Yachting, horse jumping, etc and coming soon E-sports.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I imagine she can hardly wait for this event:

https://www.today.com/food/joey-ches...%20last%20year.

Hope that’s not disparaging Joey🤪. Zion, Jim Thorpe, Joey Chestnut all on the same athletic plateau.

A few years ago in the spring I was in a store looking at TVs and I noticed they were all showing a random Duke-NC State football game. I double took and realized that it clearly was not live. Apparently the red and blue, particularly on the helmets, showcased the features of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A few years ago in the spring I was in a store looking at TVs and I noticed they were all showing a random Duke-NC State football game. I double took and realized that it clearly was not live. Apparently the red and blue, particularly on the helmets, showcased the features of the TV.
    Funny you should mention that...because I DO know that if you go back maybe 15 or 20 years or so, one of the very first sporting events recorded in high definition was a Duke-NC State football game...places like Circuit City showed it over and over again as, at the time, there was essentially nothing else to showcase HD...several people I know saw this at their respective Circuit Citys...

Funny you should mention that...because I DO know that if you go back maybe 15 or 20 years or so, one of the very first sporting events recorded in high definition was a Duke-NC State football game...places like Circuit City showed it over and over again as, at the time, there was essentially nothing else to showcase HD...several people I know saw this at their respective Circuit Citys...
    I also recall a Scrubs episode back in the day showing a Duke football game against I think NC State. (Edit: it was against GT so different game...) Very random that Dr Cox and JD would be watching that as "the game" as they mentioned. Maybe there is footage out there that somehow is accessible/easily purchased for those that want to show a football game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I also recall a Scrubs episode back in the day showing a Duke football game against I think NC State. (Edit: it was against GT so different game...) Very random that Dr Cox and JD would be watching that as "the game" as they mentioned. Maybe there is footage out there that somehow is accessible/easily purchased for those that want to show a football game.
    There's a new TV show called Council of Dads. Not sure it's a kind of thing I'd watch in the absence of a global pandemic. A bit soap-opera-ish. But storms and ports and all that. Anything to avoid cornhole.

Anyway. Contemporary, takes place in Savannah. The premise is this guy is dying of cancer and he asks three male friends to be his council of dads, to help raise his children after his death.

Anyway, redux. One of the dads is a black, gay physician who supposedly played football at Duke. He has a Duke helmet in his office and they've had one or two flashbacks showing him playing at Duke. Sufficiently grainy to not be able to tell who's really being shown. An African American running back, so that doesn't narrow it down much. Nothing in the show is negative about Duke and it's not a key part of the narrative.

Still, interesting they would pick Duke.

^ it's more than plausible that a guy could play at Duke and become a physician...it's less plausible at some other places I can think of.

Zach Braff (JD) went to Northwestern so one would have thought he would have given them the plug.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Somewhere in the OT board is a post that I put up with some research I had done tracing down that game. It was years ago, so I've forgotten, and I'm not going to look it all up again, but I think I figured out that the QB for that game was Spencer Romine.
    Regardless, it was pretty cool seeing the Duke script helmets show up on Scrubs, playing in Wallace Wade. Maybe it a cheap buy for the producers.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke sets up 9000 IPads on tripods in Cameron . Folks FaceTime in and yell and cheer. Come up with some crazy flashing app to distract players during free throw shooting. Virtual Crazies
    Well! Today's newspaper mentions (vis a vis the lack of crowd noise) a new app called ChampTrack in which fans at home feed their noise into the app's server, and it is aggregated and fed back out...I have no idea how effective this is, and as an ardent fan of the mute button, I'm not sure it affects me, but there it is..

Well! Today's newspaper mentions (vis a vis the lack of crowd noise) a new app called ChampTrack in which fans at home feed their noise into the app's server, and it is aggregated and fed back out...I have no idea how effective this is, and as an ardent fan of the mute button, I'm not sure it affects me, but there it is..
    My friends and I are big Seahawks fans, and we're discussing if they could do something similar. Be a part of. A Zoom-like call where you could "participate" in the game with your voice in the crowd. As someone who lives 2,000+ miles away from my NFL team, that would be a neat opportunity.

Season Ticket Holders and Donors

As most of you know acquiring season tickets to Duke men’s basketball comes at a considerable cost. Unless you are a long time season ticket holder joining the Iron Dukes is about the only avenue to obtain those season tickets. Over the years that minimum contribution has risen commensurate with Duke’s popularity and the general inflation of luxury items. Pledges must be made by July 1 to secure your right to purchase tickets for the upcoming season. Duke has been offering an automatic pledge program to assist the forgetful. Now this year Duke sent out reminders that if you want to unenroll in the automatic pledge program you had to notify the Iron Dukes office by June 1, notwithstanding that there is no announcement about the likelihood of games played in front of fans or information on cancellation of pledges.

The conundrum for most season ticket holders is obvious. Do you make your contribution to hold your place in line waiting for Cameron to reopen or do you suspend your contribution until Cameron actually reopens and it is safe to attend games?
    I suspect that we will hear something from the Iron Dukes but whether it will be timely is another question. The problem for Duke is that the donors are making a substantial contribution to Duke athletics without which one can only speculate how that revenue would be replaced. Yet does Duke really expect its fans to fork out thousands of dollars and receive nothing in return?

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    As most of you know acquiring season tickets to Duke men’s basketball comes at a considerable cost. Unless you are a long time season ticket holder joining the Iron Dukes is about the only avenue to obtain those season tickets. Over the years that minimum contribution has risen commensurate with Duke’s popularity and the general inflation of luxury items. Pledges must be made by July 1 to secure your right to purchase tickets for the upcoming season. Duke has been offering an automatic pledge program to assist the forgetful. Now this year Duke sent out reminders that if you want to unenroll in the automatic pledge program you had to notify the Iron Dukes office by June 1, notwithstanding that there is no announcement about the likelihood of games played in front of fans or information on cancellation of pledges.

The conundrum for most season ticket holders is obvious. Do you make your contribution to hold your place in line waiting for Cameron to reopen or do you suspend your contribution until Cameron actually reopens and it is safe to attend games?
    I suspect that we will hear something from the Iron Dukes but whether it will be timely is another question. The problem for Duke is that the donors are making a substantial contribution to Duke athletics without which one can only speculate how that revenue would be replaced. Yet does Duke really expect its fans to fork out thousands of dollars and receive nothing in return?
    There's also the question of tax deductions. You can't get the deduction if you're getting ticket priority in return. I may want to make a contribution but if I can't get ticket priority during the upcoming season, I'd like to get the tax deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post

All sorts of issues involved here. The tax issue is one. But note this is just a renewal. Payment still has to be made. If there are no games, or no tickets for games, or some sort of lottery, what is to keep a donor from refusing to pay? Sure, Duke could sue, but would they? I suppose Duke could argue that the government prevented them from having attendance, but in that case the moral onus is on Duke to make good. Maybe they think the brand is so good that they can simply replace the current donors with new ones. And they might be right. But goodwill is hard to build and easy to lose.
    Last edited by buddy; 06-08-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mispelling