Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cameron Indoor and the upcoming season

I would like to hear what the Duke fans realistically expect re home games (specifically men's basketball) will be like in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.
    I sense there may be a strong aroma of politically correct campus rules that could completely change the Cameron experience. For instance, how can you possibly practice "social distancing" when anyone weighing more than 120 pounds has to get. . .up close and personal. . .just to get to/from their seats upstairs. Those with seats near the aisles already know (knew) the feeling.
    Not to get political and then see this post disappear, but the overall climate on the Duke campus has changed greatly in recent years. Many would say for the worse. And let it be noted I was a student at Duke during the events of 1968 and the Kent State assaults of 1970. The first year I had season tickets to CIS was G-Man's senior season. But I have heard comments from Duke fans (both alumni and others) who feel it's now time. . .just to say goodbye to Duke.
    Back to the main subject. I will include below an excerpt from a recent announcement from the Allen Building folks. If this policy is in place, just how can there be public games in Cameron??
    All input is appreciated, and I do not intend to throw stones at anyone.
    As they say (said): "Peace!"

k

Some of the changes include the following:

All faculty, students, staff and visitors will be required to wear masks in public on campus and practice physical distancing.
    All students living on campus will be tested for coronavirus before they are permitted to begin classes.
    All students will complete daily health checks through a monitoring app and report concerning symptoms to the Student Health and Wellness.
    All students living in on-campus or off-campus housing will be expected to remain in the Durham area during the semester.
    On-campus dining centers will provide expanded take-out options and limited in-person service using reservation systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I would like to hear what the Duke fans realistically expect re home games (specifically men's basketball) will be like in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.
    I sense there may be a strong aroma of politically correct campus rules that could completely change the Cameron experience. For instance, how can you possibly practice "social distancing" when anyone weighing more than 120 pounds has to get. . .up close and personal. . .just to get to/from their seats upstairs. Those with seats near the aisles already know (knew) the feeling.
    Not to get political and then see this post disappear, but the overall climate on the Duke campus has changed greatly in recent years. Many would say for the worse. And let it be noted I was a student at Duke during the events of 1968 and the Kent State assaults of 1970. The first year I had season tickets to CIS was G-Man's senior season. But I have heard comments from Duke fans (both alumni and others) who feel it's now time. . .just to say goodbye to Duke.
    Back to the main subject. I will include below an excerpt from a recent announcement from the Allen Building folks. If this policy is in place, just how can there be public games in Cameron??

k

All faculty, students, staff and visitors will be required to wear masks in public on campus and practice physical distancing.
    All students living on campus will be tested for coronavirus before they are permitted to begin classes.
    All students will complete daily health checks through a monitoring app and report concerning symptoms to the Student Health and Wellness.
    All students living in on-campus or off-campus housing will be expected to remain in the Durham area during the semester.
    On-campus dining centers will provide expanded take-out options and limited in-person service using reservation systems.
    Not sure why you are tying these rules and regulations to "the aroma of a politically correct campus."

Hate to tell you, but that's what all sports and colleges will be looking like for a long time, and it has more to do with science than politics.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

k

Umm... I'm pretty darn sure that you could've posed this (very reasonable) question without ANY of the political passive aggressiveness. The former is welcome here, and is worth discussing. The later needs to be kept to the off-topic board, as the mods have made VERY clear on numerous occasions.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Umm... I'm pretty darn sure that you could've posed this (very reasonable) question without ANY of the political passive aggressiveness. The former is welcome here, and is worth discussing. The later needs to be kept to the off-topic board, as the mods have made VERY clear on numerous occasions.
    I think that "political passive aggressiveness" is a good way of putting it.

To answer what should have been the original question asked, I think that that there won't be significant number of fans in Cameron until there's a Covid-19 vaccine -- perhaps some family and friends of players and coaches and a few administrators but not regular ticket holders. I know that some will say you could do it at half capacity or quarter capacity but I think it would still be far too close for safety.

Who knows? Maybe some schools will have fan attendance at sporting events prior to a vaccine but I think their fans and communities will pay a price.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

To answer what should have been the original question asked, I think that that there won't be significant number of fans in Cameron until there's a Covid-19 vaccine -- perhaps some family and friends of players and coaches and a few administrators but not regular ticket holders. I know that some will say you could do it at half capacity or quarter capacity but I think it would still be far too close for safety.

Who knows? Maybe some schools will have fan attendance at sporting events prior to a vaccine but I think their fans and communities will pay a price.
    you also were sure that no students would be on campus until there was a vaccine, and that doesn't appear to be panning out.

Obviously it can't be anywhere near full capacity, but I imagine there will be maybe 1k very high paying donors who can get in, and are strategically seated around, along with the aforementioned friends of the program. This all is contingent on whatever city/county/state restrictions may be in place. The stadium is big ENOUGH to have some fans (especially given restaurants are allowed to operate at half capacity), and there are people willing to pay duke enough money to figure out how to get some of them in the door safely.

Of course the staff-1 security guys will undoubtedly protect us with their metal detectors and bag checks!
    1200. DDMF.

I like having a Duke BBall specific Covid return thread. We have a general sports one, but I think Cameron has enough unique qualities that its own discussion is warranted.

I'm trying to imagine the Line Monitors trying to enforce social distancing in the student section. Key word "trying", as I am not succeeding. I doubt we can get a bunch of hyped/energetic 20ish year olds to keep 6 feet from each other with the excitement of the games. Also, any sort of limited capacity at Cameron would likely decrease our home court advantage, I believe.

Another point: correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Duke Athletics create the new security policy to more closely mirror what occurs at professional stadiums? If so, would they again mimic professional sports with whatever policies - in this case - the NBA enact? Even if they tried, the bleachers are not as easy to enforce as a seated stadium.
    Last edited by jjredickrules; 06-03-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: it's v its
    Tent 1 Three-peat (2012-2014)

Who the heck knows? What I do know is that,
    1) you're at higher risk of dying from Covid if you're older,
    2) many of the high rollers who have seats happen to be older, and
    3) it's not great policy to kill off your major donors, (unless Duke is named in their wills).

Of course of all this times two over at Chapel Hill...i've sat courtside, over there, it's like an assisted living zone.

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post
    I like having a Duke BBall specific Covid return thread. We have a general sports one, but I think Cameron has enough unique qualities that its own discussion is warranted.

I'm trying to imagine the Line Monitors trying to enforce social distancing in the student section. Key word "trying", as I am not succeeding. I doubt we can get a bunch of hyped/energetic 20ish year olds to keep 6 feet from each other with the excitement of the games. Also, any sort of limited capacity at Cameron would likely decrease our home court advantage, I believe.

Another point: correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Duke Athletics create the new security policy to more closely mirror what occurs at professional stadiums? If so, would they again mimic professional sports with whatever policies - in this case - the NBA enact? Even if they tried, the bleachers are not as easy to enforce as a seated stadium.
    And if students thought camping was tough before, imagine roughly the same number of students aiming for a fraction of the number of seats.

From everything I have read, singing/yelling spreads germs much further than just talking. I think most of us agree that it is hard to watch a Duke game without wanting to yell at some point, so this would have to be factored in when the spacing requirements are set. The limited number of bathrooms could also be a big constraining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And if students thought camping was tough before, imagine roughly the same number of students aiming for a fraction of the number of seats.

From everything I have read, singing/yelling spreads germs much further than just talking. I think most of us agree that it is hard to watch a Duke game without wanting to yell at some point, so this would have to be factored in when the spacing requirements are set. The limited number of bathrooms could also be a big constraining factor.
    Are they gonna be allowed to have people squatting in tents for days on end in K'ville? I'm not sure they will allow a little COVID-inviting encampment.

Sharing a tent with six people sounds a lot riskier than sharing a dorm with one. And a bunch of tents piled peg to peg sounds high risk for the entire community.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Who the heck knows? What I do know is that,
    1) you're at higher risk of dying from Covid if you're older,
    2) many of the high rollers who have seats happen to be older, and
    3) it's not great policy to kill off your major donors, (unless Duke is named in their wills).

Of course of all this times two over at Chapel Hill...i've sat courtside, over there, it's like an assisted living zone.
    I'd also mention that we have a coach who is definitely in the high risk category that we HAVE to be careful of.

I've had season tickets for 60 years - when I was a child of six they were my dad's 2 tickets. I have been going to games all my life, even the 7 years I attended UNC. I am an Iron Duke but certainly not a big time donor so I'm sure I won't be allowed to attend games in Cameron this year. It will be very sad and very strange. Maybe I'll still drive from Raleigh to Cameron for games and listen while sitting on the Cameron grounds.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not sure why you are tying these rules and regulations to "the aroma of a politically correct campus."

Hate to tell you, but that's what all sports and colleges will be looking like for a long time, and it has more to do with science than politics.
    Lessee Kimist wrote --

I sense there may be a strong aroma of politically correct campus rules that could completely change the Cameron experience.
    Utter nonsense. I believe the coronavirus is changing the way the world operates -- and the Duke campus and Cameron is a tiny, tiny piece of the changing world.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Are they gonna be allowed to have people squatting in tents for days on end in K'ville? I'm not sure they will allow a little COVID-inviting encampment.

Sharing a tent with six people sounds a lot riskier than sharing a dorm with one. And a bunch of tents piled peg to peg sounds high risk for the entire community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd also mention that we have a coach who is definitely in the high risk category that we HAVE to be careful of.
    All valid points and, unless the virus magically disappears or an effective vaccine is ready by Fall, I just don't see how Duke (or other schools) could SAFELY allow fans at any games (football and basketball especially). IMHO, it would be almost impossible to keep everyone a socially safe distance from each other in these enclosed arenas or outdoor football stadiums. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see how any of these schools are going to make it work this Fall, allowing (most) students back on campus. I've read the press release from Duke and all of the steps they plan to take to keep students and others on campus safe SEEM reasonable but I'm just skeptical that you can really make it work in the real world. Even if you just have a small number of students or staff or faculty members who come on to campus infected with the virus and they then spread it around to others, it will quickly become a disaster (a little like those wild fires out West that spread very quickly in high winds), even if no one on campus actually dies. My guess is that if the virus does show up on campus, then many parents would quickly pull their kids out of school out of a sense of caution.

Sorry I ever bothered to post anything.

It WON'T happen again.

The moderators may clear this thread if they see fit to do so.

k

It WON'T happen again.

k
    Guessing Cameron will be open for business after the vaccine is available.

Until then, maybe student only crowds?

It WON'T happen again.

k
    I mean, you're welcome to take your ball and go home. Or, go lurk. Or you can really consider some of the feedback you got in this thread, and consider that you're very welcome here, within the guardrails.

While my guess is as bad as everyones, I simply do not see anyone in the stands for games prior to Christmas. If we are fortunate enough that this goes away by that stage, it could change in January. But I see zero chance that the school allow students at the games - and alumni attended games while students are not at the games would look really stupid and bad for so many reasons.

I am curious as to how schools will address traveling. A bus is not an issue. But a plane is, to the extent that you are not fortunate enough to have a charter just for your team. while I have no idea, I assume that there is a very significant group of schools that do not have access to private planes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    While my guess is as bad as everyones, I simply do not see anyone in the stands for games prior to Christmas. If we are fortunate enough that this goes away by that stage, it could change in January. But I see zero chance that the school allow students at the games - and alumni attended games while students are not at the games would look really stupid and bad for so many reasons.

I am curious as to how schools will address traveling. A bus is not an issue. But a plane is, to the extent that you are not fortunate enough to have a charter just for your team. while I have no idea, I assume that there is a very significant group of schools that do not have access to private planes.
    They could socially distance if just the students attended and used the whole stadium. Not sure this will happen but it would allow spectators.

What would be the point of having people in the stands if they couldn't yell and cheer?

There is no doubt in my mind that yelling spreads the virus much more easily than talking.

Cameron can't be Cameron without screaming fans. Period. I would much rather they left the stands completely empty than to scatter a few people here and there and tell them to be quiet.

As for the OP, I'm sorry you feel like you are being harrassed, but you brought it upon yourself, and you probably know you did.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

As for the OP, I'm sorry you feel like you are being harrassed, but you brought it upon yourself, and you probably know you did.
    Hell, Oly jumped my butt for jokingly praising Woodrow Wilson.

Much to y’all’s chagrin, no doubt, I still post regardless.