Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Will "Speedoman" have an ipad on a tripod ? If so - count me in !

Missed the memo...

Covering seats and then reporting sellouts is a long-honed tradition at the professional level.[/QUOTE]

Do you know which professional league we are in?

[just havin fun]
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Some would say that Duke football has been practicing socially distanced seating the past several seasons(announced attendance averages of 25-27K/40K WW capacity).
    The problem is not in the seating, it's in the entrance and at the concessions. I've never been either when I was not literally being pushed and squished. And not for an insignificant amount of time. Once you get into the seats, spreading out is not a problem.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The problem is not in the seating, it's in the entrance and at the concessions. I've never been either when I was not literally being pushed and squished. And not for an insignificant amount of time. Once you get into the seats, spreading out is not a problem.
    But surely Cameron has the tightest seating of any major arena (I insist on calling it that!) I can recall...the upstairs seats were designed for 1930s buttocks and legs...(average size of U.S. soldier in WW2 was roughly 150 lbs, see how many 150 lb men you find in Cameron these days)...but I digress...I agree that entering and concessions are a real logjam, but any meaningful social distancing in Cameron is impossible, unless you reduce capacity by 75%.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    But surely Cameron has the tightest seating of any major arena (I insist on calling it that!) I can recall...the upstairs seats were designed for 1930s buttocks and legs...(average size of U.S. soldier in WW2 was roughly 150 lbs, see how many 150 lb men you find in Cameron these days)...but I digress...I agree that entering and concessions are a real logjam, but any meaningful social distancing in Cameron is impossible, unless you reduce capacity by 75%.
    I think CBB was referring to WW.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post
    I'm trying to imagine the Line Monitors trying to enforce social distancing in the student section. Key word "trying", as I am not succeeding. I doubt we can get a bunch of hyped/energetic 20ish year olds to keep 6 feet from each other with the excitement of the games. Also, any sort of limited capacity at Cameron would likely decrease our home court advantage, I believe.
    Former HLM weighing in here: you're absolutely correct. It's abundantly clear that, in lieu of a vaccine, Section 17 won't be packed to the brim with students next season. The way I see it, there are a few alternatives:
    1. Free-for-all in Cameron, filled to capacity like normal. Nope.
    2. Allow students in their usual sections, but enforce social distancing rules. This is a virtual impossibility. The Line Monitors could enforce a lower capacity in Section 17, sure, but enforcing distancing while the game is going on is almost certainly out of the question.
    3. Allow students to spread out throughout Cameron and the upper levels. This raises the question of conflicting with season ticket holders. For most games, I imagine a non-trivial number of tickets are re-sold, though, so this could work assuming there is lessened demand among the upstairs ticket holders.
    4. Don't allow students in Cameron, but allow ticket holders to attend upstairs if they wish. This would be... unpopular with students.
    5. No fans in Cameron, period.

For something like the Carolina game, it's a different question entirely. How would tenting work? Even if all of the students were eager to tent – which I think is a big if – Krzyzewskiville is an ideal breeding ground for germs. There have been similar incidents in the past: in 2009, a tenter was diagnosed with an infection of bacterial meningitis. And flu outbreaks are not an uncommon occurrence.

If I were a gambler, I'd bet a lot of money on the Krzyzewskiville campout not taking place next season. With each passing year the administration tends to become a bit more wary of the potential consequences of K-Ville with regard to student safety. The walk-up line upheaval a few years ago can't have helped that perception.

It's possible that the administration moves to cancel Krzyzewskiville while a COVID-19 vaccine becomes widely available by February or March of next year, allowing the Carolina game to be played with fans in attendance. In that scenario, the Line Monitors and DSG will likely have to come up with an alternative means to fairly allocate seats. If the season has been in play and allows students, I could imagine them favoring an attendance-based policy, with ties broken either by seniority or trivia.

Like everything else, there's a lot of uncertainty right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post
    Another point: correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Duke Athletics create the new security policy to more closely mirror what occurs at professional stadiums? If so, would they again mimic professional sports with whatever policies - in this case - the NBA enact? Even if they tried, the bleachers are not as easy to enforce as a seated stadium.
    This is also correct. The old single-file line for undergraduate entry into Cameron has been replaced by a multi-lane ingress, complete with airport-style metal detectors similar to what you'd see at an NBA arena. Adam Silver, as a member of the Board of Trustees, was central to implementing this policy, I'm told. I would not be surprised in the slightest if the University – or, at least, the Athletic department – followed the NBA's lead with whatever happens.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think CBB was referring to WW.
    Yep. The concourses in both are a logistical nightmare for anyone to ponder.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

at WW you have the added benefit of the crush of humanity under the Tower, waiting for the ultra inept concession workers to produce something, anything.

Got my new 55" Samsung, problem solved this year...wait til next year!

at WW you have the added benefit of the crush of humanity under the Tower, waiting for the ultra inept concession workers to produce something, anything.

Budwom, why’d you get something so small?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Our Senior VP in charge of home decor gets the final call, and that ain't me...but in fact we only sit about seven feet from the screen, so 55" works perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Cold weather near the Canadian border tends to cause a lot of shrinkage...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Dang. I had considered upgrading my 40" to a 55" a few weeks ago, but determined I didn't really need one.

Now that you have one I really need one too.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Dang. I had considered upgrading my 40" to a 55" a few weeks ago, but determined I didn't really need one.

I'd go for the 60" model; just because...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'd go for the 60" model; just because...
    65" is only a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    65" is only a little more.
    But then there is the cost of a bigger house.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Screen envy is an ugly thing.

I've been contemplating upsizing since espn started doing their split screen thing so often and the game looks like it's on my former 28".

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

I have to say that as good as my former Sony 46" model was, the technology is > 10 years old, so the 55" Samsung (4K, etc) was a revelation...the colors are rather startling, and I guess it's the 4K that makes the clarity of streamed stuff like Netflix rather amazing..all for a most modest $900 (and you can do better at a discount place I imagine)..we find ourselves not spending much money these days (no dinners out, no vacations, buying little other than groceries) so why not?

And maybe someday we'll get a live sporting event to watch (golf doesn't count)...

I

And maybe someday we'll get a live sporting event to watch (golf doesn't count)...
    Compared to NASCAR and UFC it does.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Compared to NASCAR and UFC it does.
    I guess that could be true. I consider sports to be something that requires at least some wee bit of running...waddling around in lime green pants flicking at a ball doesn't count.