Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WBB at a Crossroads

For those that don’t regularly get to the front page, Jim wrote a rather complete analysis of the current state of Duke’s women’s basketball program.

-jk

Sounds like someone is pressuring McCallie to leave now by making public what she has been told privately, that her contract won’t be renewed. They’re not firing her but they’re trying to make it clear to her that her last season at Duke won’t be any fun as she has to deal constantly with questions about her situation and the future of the program. Her dream of a new contract isn’t happening. She needs to get realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Sounds like someone is pressuring McCallie to leave now by making public what she has been told privately, that her contract won’t be renewed. They’re not firing her but they’re trying to make it clear to her that her last season at Duke won’t be any fun as she has to deal constantly with questions about her situation and the future of the program. Her dream of a new contract isn’t happening. She needs to get realistic.
    She has probably told Duke to pay me what you owe me, and I will leave now. Otherwise, I will keep cashing your checks until the end.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-30-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

[QUOTE=roywhite;1258242]
    Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post

Haven't followed this as closely as some...is it an actual possibility McCallie would leave before this coming season? Would that likely lead to an interim coach, or an attempt to get a long-term successor right away?
    No. Duke isn't making a coaching change deep into the offseason during a pandemic.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Thanks, -jk. Definitely worth reading. A premier piece by our man Sumner.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Moreover, he used "complementary" correctly three times in one paragraph -- no surprise that he practices what he preaches'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Appreciate the tip, -jk, I rarely make it to the front page. Jimsumner’s stuff is always worthwhile.

And, he pretty much nailed this one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Great read, Jim, thanks much as always for your insight. It's going to be an interesting season for sure, assuming that it's played.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    She has probably told Duke to pay me what you owe me, and I will leave now. Otherwise, I will keep cashing your checks until the end.
    Why should she do otherwise? Can't blame her, no matter what I think about her coaching and the program.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Why should she do otherwise? Can't blame her, no matter what I think about her coaching and the program.
    well, for wanting what's legally owed her, anyway.

For better or worse, her previous contract extension will likely go down as the biggest blunder during an otherwise tenure of pretty good decisions for Dr. White.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I think there’s some advantage in quitting before you’re fired. If you negotiate your departure so that you quit instead of being fired, maybe you depart with somewhat less money but you leave with your head held high and maybe you have better employment options after you leave. I don’t know for sure but my impression is that that is what usually happens in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I think there’s some advantage in quitting before you’re fired. If you negotiate your departure so that you quit instead of being fired, maybe you depart with somewhat less money but you leave with your head held high and maybe you have better employment options after you leave. I don’t know for sure but my impression is that that is what usually happens in these situations.
    nobody is going to hire mccallie for what duke was paying her, and no A-list school is going to hire her after this tenure.

Unless she wants to take a massive pay cut for a small school to take a shot at her, her career is over.

I'll take the 1.2 million to show up to work for 6 months over having my "head held high."
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thanks, -jk. Definitely worth reading. A premier piece by our man Sumner.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Moreover, he used "complementary" correctly three times in one paragraph -- no surprise that he practices what he preaches'
    You are complimenting his complementary use of a full complement of "complementary?"

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    nobody is going to hire mccallie for what duke was paying her, and no A-list school is going to hire her after this tenure.

Unless she wants to take a massive pay cut for a small school to take a shot at her, her career is over.

I'll take the 1.2 million to show up to work for 6 months over having my "head held high."
    I'd expect her next job is at ESPN. (As long as she doesn't work with Debbie Antonelli, of course.) There are worse ex-coaches on there doing games.

As you mentioned, she's likely to coach one more year, take the money and retire from coaching (forced or voluntarily, doesn't matter.) $1.2M is a nice retirement nest-egg (along with previous earnings, of course.)

We're in for a lame duck season, should we be able to watch it. We pretty much expected for 2020-21 back in November, although after some of the early losses, such as to FCSU and USC-Columbia we might have expected it sooner. The coaching job she did in January and February was pretty good.

It would be interesting to take her attitude/coaching after the investigation with the talent of the early 2010s. As Jim mentioned, it's clear to many she changed her manner, although as others will mention, including those now banned from this forum, too little too late. I think the same people still don't forgive her for taking over for Coach G, and Coach P definitely made mistakes early with personnel and players (and with PR.) She came into a rough situation, with the men's GOAT one floor up in the tower, and replacing a well liked, well spoken predecessor. Then again, she was compensated very well for coming into that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You are complimenting his complementary use of a full complement of "complementary?"
    He is. Literally.

This is pretty much unanimous

Jim's article is fair and informative. We have to remember that she was hired to bring national championships to Durham, but that is pretty hard to do when you have constant turnover, double digit losses, postseason disappointments, and an ongoing recruiting crisis.

On top of that we have a contract extension that nobody seems to understand, an internal investigation that opposing recruiters probably don't even have to mention at this point, and a coach dangling on the end of her contract. Under normal circumstances, Duke could have let her go out on a positive note with the late season rally and simply swallowed the last year of that overpaying contract, but considering how much private schools are losing because of the Covid crisis, that option has almost certainly disappeared.

Laura Keeley's article from four years ago is still relevant today, and that was when they had really solid recruiting, even though the players didn't necessarily hang around:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...e76130947.html

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'd expect her next job is at ESPN. (As long as she doesn't work with Debbie Antonelli, of course.) There are worse ex-coaches on there doing games.
    Eh, I'm not sure I could tolerate her habit of referring to players by jersey number, particularly if there is overlap between teams.

For those of us that love the Duke women's basketball program, this is a very sad situation - Duke is allowing the program to hit rock bottom.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Literally.

Edit: Credit to OPK for beating me to it. (Note: I need to spend more time reading and posting here. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    For those of us that love the Duke women's basketball program, this is a very sad situation - Duke is allowing the program to hit rock bottom.
    It was unlikely that anything was going to be done this very unusual off-season.

IIRC, there were only three coaching changes at the P5+BE level. Two (Villanova and Notre Dame) were retirements, one (Texas) was not-renewing a contract (where we'll likely be next off-season.)

(Of course, Texas created a fourth at Miss. St. but that's it.)

She got paid but did not deliver. Harsh, but at that level there's little sympathy for not winning -- more -- regardless of anyone's knees. Leaving things in worse shape than when she arrived won't help next steps. A few flashes of promise but never a good fit.