Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
I care about all of the teams and all of the students. I would rather have the University filled with more than just kids who only spend their lives in the stacks. I chose Duke for a reason. It was the perfect mix of Ivy Education, big time sports, nice climate and good social life. If I only cared about the education, I would have attended Princeton. Duke has its own culture and that includes a wide variety of sports at the highest levels
I do not think anyone said that they do not care about “all of the students“. I would suggest that it is a misguided statement to suggest that kids who attend Princeton only spend their lives in the stacks. Princeton does have division one sports. Frankly, so many of the people I know who attended Duke got rejected from Princeton, Harvard and Yale (and would have had no issue going to those schools) – so I try not to throw stones.

While I did not attend Princeton, I have many friends who are very well rounded who did. And I feel comfortable in saying that the Ivy leagues have no lack of students who are well rounded.

For better or for worse, and I am not passing any judgment, most students attending Duke do not share your view about caring about all teams. Because if you have attended the majority of the collegiate events outside of basketball (and I speculate that you have based on your interest), attendance is so sparse one would wonder if anyone cares at all. And for approximately a decade prior to the arrival of coach Cut - you could have said the same thing about football.

But do not get me wrong, I love that Duke has athletics. But I would be lying if I suggested that this love extends to sports of the nature that I referenced earlier - sports that are not supported by students (unless people are camping out for fencing contests and no one is telling me).