Thread: White Squirrel

White Squirrel

Here's a white squirrel (gray) that has hung around for a couple of years. Brevard, NC has lots of them.
    ws1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Here's a white squirrel (gray) that has hung around for a couple of years. Brevard, NC has lots of them.
    ws1.jpg
    Yep. Brevard has a white squirrel festival every year. It is a rather interesting event.

Come to think of it, I believe it is usually Memorial Day Weekend.

I used to see them around Hickory in the 80's.

But do they taste any different?

Direct competition with the black squirrels of NE Ohio and above?

We have lots of black squirrels in my neighborhood - descendants of those that escaped from the National Zoo and worked/bred their way up Rock Creek Park. Originally from Canada by local lore.

I certainly prefer them to the local geese attributed to Canada.

-jk

We had black squirrels when I moved to my house 15 years ago, but they disappeared around 5 years ago.

Scientists believe that the eastern gray squirrel was much darker when the first Europeans landed on these shores. The forest canopy was dense, and much of the forest floor was in deep shadow. As the forests were felled, the squirrels adapted by growing lighter coats. Some populations still retain the original dark coats.
    These should not be confused with the black phase of the southeastern fox squirrel, which is a much larger creature with a white mask.
    The white squirrels came from a traveling show in the early 1900s that passed through Brevard, many of the white squirrels escaped. White squirrels have spread to other areas of the state. Since the white squirrels and the all black ones are gray squirrels, they would have the same flavor..

I try very hard not to kill any squirrels driving into our neighborhood, But boy do they make it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Scientists believe that the eastern gray squirrel was much darker when the first Europeans landed on these shores. The forest canopy was dense, and much of the forest floor was in deep shadow. As the forests were felled, the squirrels adapted by growing lighter coats. Some populations still retain the original dark coats.
    These should not be confused with the black phase of the southeastern fox squirrel, which is a much larger creature with a white mask.
    The white squirrels came from a traveling show in the early 1900s that passed through Brevard, many of the white squirrels escaped. White squirrels have spread to other areas of the state. Since the white squirrels and the all black ones are gray squirrels, they would have the same flavor..
    Why did I find myself reading this using my "inner" David Attenborough voice?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."