Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Pancakes

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Ymm, Pancakes

plain? with maple syrup? with a different kind of syrup? powdered sugar? blueberry? chocolate chip? where can you get the best pancakes?

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    plain? with maple syrup? with a different kind of syrup? powdered sugar? blueberry? chocolate chip? where can you get the best pancakes?

Discuss.
    More of a homemade crepe man m’self, especially ham and cheddar with ground black pepper and fresh basil. Kids prefer chocolate with either banana or strawberry.

Rarely eat pancakes, but when I do it’s just butter and maple syrup. Was hooked on boysenberry in my childhood IHOP days but kicked the habit.

Maple syrup, side of bacon. Just like Gran used to make ‘em.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Love blueberry pancakes with blueberries cooked in and fresh maple.

I also love buckwheat pancakes and even pumpkin pancakes on occasion.

I prefer pancakes, my wife prefers waffles. She went to carolina, but is pretty amazing so we make it work.

In spite of many shortcomings, IHOP makes wonderful panckes.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I recommend The Village Pancake House in Rowley, Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    In spite of many shortcomings, IHOP makes wonderful panckes.
    We were heading somewhere (somewhere very appropriate and important...like Home Depot or the ABC store; that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and saw IHOP was offering all-you-can-eat pancakes delivered to your car in the parking lot.

I'm still laughing at the mental image of pancakes being offered on a shovel through the window.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

when we visit Durham in the Fall, we've gone to this great breakfast place where there is no table service, you order, then find a table, or sit at the counter (can't recall the name, it's near campus)..anyway, I got the pancakes recommended by them, not on the menu, with pecans, blueberries and chocolate chips. Nice.

Only problem with that place is that the ordering line is often out the door, and patience is not a virtue of mine...we grab a counter seat when we can find one, which is rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    there is NO substitute for maple syrup...is there any greater crime against nature than those horrid, colored syrups at IHOP? Our local franchisee had to go toe to toe with the national IHOP office to be allowed to offer maple syrup, took him months to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    there is NO substitute for maple syrup...is there any greater crime against nature than those horrid, colored syrups at IHOP? Our local franchisee had to go toe to toe with the national IHOP office to be allowed to offer maple syrup, took him months to prevail.
    Says the Vermonter ...

(FWIW: I agree.)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    2020-Maple-Festival-Brochure-Website-Version_Page_1.jpg

Every year growing up, for two weekends in March, my parents would take us to the Highland County Maple Festival. We would go to the Bolar Ruritan Club and get all you can eat Plain or Buckwheat Cakes with homemade sausage. Some years we would go to the arts/crafts booths or visit the other vendors (Fresh Maple Doughnuts!) but we never missed a year of getting the Pancakes with fresh maple syrup! I would beg my parents to buy me the little baggies of fresh Maple Candy.

To this day I still try to get my kids there once a year. My sister will usually meet us and make a morning out of it.

If you are within driving distance, it's a great weekend getaway! Stay at The Homestead (now an Omni property) or one of the local B&Bs.

And yes, I agree. Pancakes deserve real, fresh, maple syrup. Maybe add some pecans or walnuts.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Apparently pancake art is a thing...

E3B16E90-3382-4E43-8496-4245FEF7311D.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Impeccable timing for this thread! I just tried this johnny cakes recipe this morning. We don't have corn meal in our house so we used maseca instead of cornflour. They were well received--to me they tasted like a Central American pancake, a cross between pancakes and pupusas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    2020-Maple-Festival-Brochure-Website-Version_Page_1.jpg

Every year growing up, for two weekends in March, my parents would take us to the Highland County Maple Festival. We would go to the Bolar Ruritan Club and get all you can eat Plain or Buckwheat Cakes with homemade sausage. Some years we would go to the arts/crafts booths or visit the other vendors (Fresh Maple Doughnuts!) but we never missed a year of getting the Pancakes with fresh maple syrup! I would beg my parents to buy me the little baggies of fresh Maple Candy.

To this day I still try to get my kids there once a year. My sister will usually meet us and make a morning out of it.

If you are within driving distance, it's a great weekend getaway! Stay at The Homestead (now an Omni property) or one of the local B&Bs.

And yes, I agree. Pancakes deserve real, fresh, maple syrup. Maybe add some pecans or walnuts.
    Nothing better than getting some of those small link sausages for rolling around in the syrup! Hey, I had no idea there were maple festivals that far South...that's a beautiful area...

Nothing better than getting some of those small link sausages for rolling around in the syrup! Hey, I had no idea there were maple festivals that far South...that's a beautiful area...
    This is the only festival that I am aware of. I grew up in the county just to the south of that one and yes, it is beautiful!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    This is the only festival that I am aware of. I grew up in the county just to the south of that one and yes, it is beautiful!
    When we occasionally migrate South for a month or so in the Winter, we usually stay in Stephens City for a night, which is not far away...home of the Roma Restaurant, a true cost performer!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    More of a homemade crepe man m’self, especially ham and cheddar with ground black pepper and fresh basil. Kids prefer chocolate with either banana or strawberry.

Rarely eat pancakes, but when I do it’s just butter and maple syrup. Was hooked on boysenberry in my childhood IHOP days but kicked the habit.
    Those sound delicious.

Pamela's Dinner in Pittsburgh makes great pancakes - they are actually more crepe-ish. King Arthur Flour put up a recipe that was pretty darn close to it. I need to make those again.

Little Baptist church near me has pancake suppers from time to time. All you can eat, five bucks. Bacon and sausage. Big old fluffy buckwheat pancakes. Best I ever had..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Little Baptist church near me has pancake suppers from time to time. All you can eat, five bucks. Bacon and sausage. Big old fluffy buckwheat pancakes. Best I ever had..
    "All you can eat... Bacon". You got me!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    "All you can eat... Bacon". You got me!

-jk