Hang In there Michigan!

What a miserable situation up there in The Mitten.
    Evacuations and distancing and winds and floods.
    Michiganders are tough and usually upbeat but these days are terribly challenging.
    I love you Michigan!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I remember Midland as being the northern outpost of industrial Michigan - a company town but a pretty one and, importantly to me, one that took tennis very seriously in the 1970s. Some of my best days were spent in Midland....I hope they recover quickly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I remember Midland as being the northern outpost of industrial Michigan - a company town but a pretty one and, importantly to me, one that took tennis very seriously in the 1970s. Some of my best days were spent in Midland...I hope they recover quickly, too.
    Interesting...When I played junior USTA tennis, there was also a Midwest Open tournament in Midland, MI that I'd go to...I guess the tennis culture went deep. But still existing in the 90s/2000s to some extent. Kalamazoo, MI (2.5 hours away) is home to the most prestigious U.S. junior tennis tournament every summer. Winner (of 18s) gets wildcard to U.S. Open.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 05-21-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Interesting...When I played junior USTA tennis, there was also a Midwest Open tournament in Midland, MI that I'd go to...I guess the tennis culture went deep. But still existing in the 90s/2000s to some extent. Kalamazoo, MI (2.5 hours away) is home to the most prestigious U.S. junior tennis tournament every summer. Winner (of 18s) gets wildcard to U.S. Open.
    The state high school tennis tournament was held at a beautiful facility in Midland for many years - may still be for all I know - and our team won the Class A title in 1978. (There was a private school from Grosse Pointe that was better than us, but fortunately they were class D.) I didn't play many USTA tournaments ever, but I had friends who did and they lead us to the title...I just hung on in 2nd doubles, but we had a lot of fun. The clay court tournament in Kalamazoo is a far more serious event, and the Midwest Open surely is, too.