Furman Drops Baseball and Lacrosse

Two more COVID-related deaths in South Carolina.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020...eral-test.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

This, though understandable, is really sad.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

I believe Furman is a well-supported private university. As of seven years ago it's endowment was $500+ million.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

From talking to a parent of the program, it appears that Title IX is more at play than COVID--the cutting of these two programs was in the offing for quite some time from President Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I believe Furman is a well-supported private university. As of seven years ago it's endowment was $500+ million.
    Having been employed at Furman for over twenty years I would agree with Sage’s assessment. Furman is in reasonably good shape, better than many private colleges and universities.

That being said I am not surprised by the steps taken. As stated in the announcement I believe the sports changes would have happened in a year or two in any event. The pandemic accelerated the move. This is a harder hit, though hopefully shorter, than the recession of a decade ago when I was offered voluntary early retirement which I declined.* I will be interested to see if other measures are forthcoming.

*I retired from Furman (Information Services) on 01/31/2020 in a move that had been planned for over six months. I’ve never been accused of being psychic, but it was suspiciously good timing.

I've read that coaches of men's non revenue sports teams are nervous all over the country, with the upcoming football financial debacle...guys like wrestling coaches especially concerned...women's teams somewhat protected by Title IX, but hardly immune.

There is an article in the Raleigh paper today where ECU stated that it will also be eliminating sports in the very near future.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The G5 conferences filed a while back for a suspension of the rules related to the minimum number of sports that must be sponsored to maintain D1 status (16). I can’t recall if that has been discussed here.

The NCAA said no, of course.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det...amp/3026734001

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The G5 conferences filed a while back for a suspension of the rules related to the minimum number of sports that must be sponsored to maintain D1 status (16). I can’t recall if that has been discussed here.

The NCAA said no, of course.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det...amp/3026734001
    GoDuke.com lists 21 individual teams. Cross-country, track & field, swimming & diving and fencing are listed as four sports, although they include men's and women's teams. There appear to be eight men's teams, nine women's teams, and four teams with men and women components.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    There is an article in the Raleigh paper today where ECU stated that it will also be eliminating sports in the very near future.
    I highly doubt it, but I certainly hope baseball is not on the list. We need quality midweek opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The G5 conferences filed a while back for a suspension of the rules related to the minimum number of sports that must be sponsored to maintain D1 status (16). I can’t recall if that has been discussed here. The NCAA said no, of course.
    While the G5 doesn't carry much revenue potential, the NCAA will entertain UNC's request to suspend academics indefinitely.

GoDuke.com lists 21 individual teams. Cross-country, track & field, swimming & diving and fencing are listed as four sports, although they include men's and women's teams. There appear to be eight men's teams, nine women's teams, and four teams with men and women components.
    Duke is way above the minimum requirements for NCAA and ACC membership.

It's hard not to bleed over from other threads, but scheduling is going to be very interesting over the next 12 months. The same with computer methods to measure teams.

Yes, Duke will survive of course. It will just be a lot harder to fill schedules if G5 (and FCS and non-football) D-1 schools start canceling sports on short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've read that coaches of men's non revenue sports teams are nervous all over the country, with the upcoming football financial debacle...guys like wrestling coaches especially concerned...women's teams somewhat protected by Title IX, but hardly immune.
    How are they protected?

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    How are they protected?
    For schools on the edge of Title IX compliance, eliminating a women's sport would also require cutting some men's scholarships as well...whereas you could cut a men's program and remain in compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Having been employed at Furman for over twenty years I would agree with Sage’s assessment. Furman is in reasonably good shape, better than many private colleges and universities.

That being said I am not surprised by the steps taken. As stated in the announcement I believe the sports changes would have happened in a year or two in any event. The pandemic accelerated the move. This is a harder hit, though hopefully shorter, than the recession of a decade ago when I was offered voluntary early retirement which I declined.* I will be interested to see if other measures are forthcoming.

*I retired from Furman (Information Services) on 01/31/2020 in a move that had been planned for over six months. I’ve never been accused of being psychic, but it was suspiciously good timing.
    As a Furman Grad I saw where we were rated an A- in financial standing and thus in the top two in SC among private colleges in that category .. the other being Wofford. Presbyterian, Converse, Anderson etc are far behind us in endowment etc.

That said here is a full list of schools now having dropped programs as of today:
    Furman is discontinuing its baseball and men’s lacrosse programs.
    Cincinnati is eliminating its men’s soccer program.
    Bowling Green is cutting its baseball program.
    Old Dominion is pulling the plug on its wrestling program.
    Akron is eliminating men’s cross country, men’s golf and women’s tennis.
    FIU is cutting its men’s indoor track and field program.
    Wisconsin-Green Bay is suspending its men’s and women’s tennis programs.
    The Charlotte Observer reports East Carolina is “looking to trim at least one of 20 sports.”

This is accelerating fast and I bet we see more G5 teams on here.

Sadly, Furman had sponsored baseball since 1896 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    As a Furman Grad I saw where we were rated an A- in financial standing and thus in the top two in SC among private colleges in that category .. the other being Wofford. Presbyterian, Converse, Anderson etc are far behind us in endowment etc.

That said here is a full list of schools now having dropped programs as of today:
    Furman is discontinuing its baseball and men’s lacrosse programs.
    Cincinnati is eliminating its men’s soccer program.
    Bowling Green is cutting its baseball program.
    Old Dominion is pulling the plug on its wrestling program.
    Akron is eliminating men’s cross country, men’s golf and women’s tennis.
    FIU is cutting its men’s indoor track and field program.
    Wisconsin-Green Bay is suspending its men’s and women’s tennis programs.
    The Charlotte Observer reports East Carolina is “looking to trim at least one of 20 sports.”

This is accelerating fast and I bet we see more G5 teams on here.

Sadly, Furman had sponsored baseball since 1896 !!!
    I've heard that there is a good bit of pushback on the Furman baseball decision. We'll see how that goes.

They had tried to drop golf a few years back, but that was rescinded when they got more funding. I'm told that this time the deletion of baseball and lacrosse is driven by Title IX as much as by COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I've heard that there is a good bit of pushback on the Furman baseball decision. We'll see how that goes.

They had tried to drop golf a few years back, but that was rescinded when they got more funding. I'm told that this time the deletion of baseball and lacrosse is driven by Title IX as much as by COVID-19.
    Ya' think there might be push back on dropping golf at Furman?

Men

Brad Faxon, eight PGA Tour wins, 2 Champions Tour wins
    Bruce Fleisher, one PGA Tour win, 18 Champions Tour wins

Women

Beth Daniel, 33 LPGA Tour wins (one major)
    Kathleen Ekey, two Futures Tour wins
    Betsy King, 34 LPGA Tour wins, (six majors)
    Dottie Pepper, 17 LPGA Tour wins, (two majors)
    Beth Solomon, one LPGA Tour wins
    Sherri Turner, 3 LPGA Tour wins, (one major)
    Maggie Will, 3 LPGA Tour wins

Beth Daniel, a Charleston woman, won her only major championship at my old club, Bethesda CC.
    Sage Grouse

Men

Women

Beth Daniel, a Charleston woman, won her only major championship at my old club, Bethesda CC.
    And then this year we have the best amateur female in the nation:

"FURMAN'S NATALIE SRINIVASAN WINS 2020 ANNIKA AWARD" The award, which is presented by Stifel and named in honor of Annika Sorenstam, has been given annually since 2014 to the nation's top female collegiate golfer, and the recipient is chosen by a vote of current players, coaches, and members of the golf media. As the winner of the ANNIKA Award, Srinivasan will receive an exemption to compete in the 2021 Evian Championship on the LPGA Tour.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020...ika-award.aspx

Our women's program is something for a school of 2700 students

- Anyway, a lot of this (even for P5 schools) is going to depend on football. That's the money maker. I hope for the best in all regards - health, etc.

Men

Women

That is a pretty impressive list, especially of women's golfers. Hall of Famers, too.