Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    86 Louisville, I still remember how I felt at work the next day. Just totally crushed by that loss.
    Crushed the way Gallagher might a watermelon?

Arkansas in 1994 - everyone wandering around campus not knowing what to do.

I will also add in Lehigh and Mercer.

Also, not of the magnitude of some of the final four games, but the 1998 Kentucky game was really painful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ‘86 Louisville. I was on the quad.
    Me too. It was a deflating end to a rags-to-riches (emotionally) freshman year for me.

Getting knocked off the mountaintop (1999) comes really close too. [here, by mountaintop, I don't necessarily mean we were "defending champs" - just the acknowledged best team - and in 1999 we were, by FAR]

In 1986, we had never been to the mountaintop, as far as I knew; I felt we were still sort of upstarts as a program (despite 1978 really being more upstarts like that, and having some serious success in the early to mid 1960s under Bubas ... but I knew of none of that at the time).

JJ Redick and Shelden Williams senior night.

Convinced myself a loss was impossible...sigh.

Top three in my personal journal of pain have to be:

3) ‘86 MBB loss
    2) ‘99 MBB loss
    1) ‘06 WBB loss

The last one actually made me sicker physically than the two men’s losses, probably because I was watching it with my two young daughters who idolized the women’s team. Still makes me queasy to think about.

One other that always sticks out Is 1998 Kentucky. To this day, an 18 point lead feels like certain doom.

2004 loss to UConn in the final four was, for me, worse than the 1999 Championship game, because if the refs had called the foul and let JJ shoot the free throws, we would've won. Awaiting us was Georgia Tech, for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    2004 loss to UConn in the final four was, for me, worse than the 1999 Championship game, because if the refs had called the foul and let JJ shoot the free throws, we would've won. Awaiting us was Georgia Tech, for crying out loud.
    Can't think of a key loss where the officiating was so much of a story as that 2004 loss to UConn.

Shelden -- 19 minutes, 5 fouls
    Shav -- 14 minutes, 5 fouls
    Nick Horvath -- 8 minutes, 5 fouls

It was like breathing on Okafor was equivalent to spreading a deadly virus.

Had I listed more than three the 2004 and 1998 games would have been #’s 4 & 5.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Crushed the way Gallagher might a watermelon?
    Very good, yep about like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For me too. Not. Even. Close.
    I still get that sick feeling just thinking about it...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

8 points, 17 seconds. Nothing else even comes close. GTHc GTH. 9F forever.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    8 points, 17 seconds. Nothing else even comes close. GTHc GTH. 9F forever.
    Now, that was the maddest I've ever been after a loss but the '99 loss is a close 2nd. It might even be a tie because my anger was toward the refs.

GoDuke!

'04 was worse than '99 because '04 was (at least in my mind) going to be revenge for '99, with UConn playing the favorite this time around. And we had them, we had our revenge, until we faceplanted at the end.

'94 was also tough because Grant, my favorite and everyone's favorite player, almost ended his career winning his 3rd championship in 4 years. It was almost a picture-perfect ending. So close.

'86 was of course the very worst. Absolutely devastated for the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    '04 was worse than '99 because '04 was (at least in my mind) going to be revenge for '99, with UConn playing the favorite this time around. And we had them, we had our revenge, until we faceplanted at the end.

'94 was also tough because Grant, my favorite and everyone's favorite player, almost ended his career winning his 3rd championship in 4 years. It was almost a picture-perfect ending. So close.

'86 was of course the very worst. Absolutely devastated for the seniors.
    Yes and 3 out of 4 ain't bad( '91, '92) and we weren't expected to win that year. Well some Duke fans like me always think we're going to challenge for the NCAA Title.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    This has been visited in the past , but the lock-in and so many YOUTubes and replays have shuffled my list .

THE MIAMI LAST PLAY KICKOFF RETURN alway ranked high but I have now moved it below the 2019 Semi Final Lacrosse lost to UVA .

Up by two ---under two minutes --WITH THE BALL - and lose . TURNS OUT , Duke was still up by two with UNDER a minute. So hard to watch . Mercifully ,I've forgotten the name of #7 who threw away the ball on the throw-in.

Another punch to the gut --2006 loss to Maryland in NCAA women's Bball Championship game. Duke up by THREE ,clocking counting down the last few seconds and Tolliver of the Terps throws up a long dagger over the fingertips of Duke s tallest player .2 OT's later ,TERPS are champs .

Oh well .lots of time on my hands these days . Which ones hurt for you ?
    If you asked me to name 100 most painful Duke losses, none of these would make the list. 😀

Nobody going with Arizona 2011? Talk about hard to watch...

The Nightmare on Halloween is up there. People have brought up a bunch of other "good" ones...hard to pick only one. Several of these make me a little bit sick thinking about them even still.

This is the worst thread ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is the worst thread ever.
    It's an off-season tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It's an off-season tradition.
    And this is the longest off-season ever. Appropriate I suppose.