Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Angry Most PAINFUL Duke loss

This has been visited in the past , but the lock-in and so many YOUTubes and replays have shuffled my list .

THE MIAMI LAST PLAY KICKOFF RETURN alway ranked high but I have now moved it below the 2019 Semi Final Lacrosse lost to UVA .

Up by two ---under two minutes --WITH THE BALL - and lose . TURNS OUT , Duke was still up by two with UNDER a minute. So hard to watch . Mercifully ,I've forgotten the name of #7 who threw away the ball on the throw-in.

Another punch to the gut --2006 loss to Maryland in NCAA women's Bball Championship game. Duke up by THREE ,clocking counting down the last few seconds and Tolliver of the Terps throws up a long dagger over the fingertips of Duke s tallest player .2 OT's later ,TERPS are champs .

Oh well .lots of time on my hands these days . Which ones hurt for you ?

1986 vs Louisville. Broke a young boys heart.

It's the women's national championship game, for sure. All it took was an adequate closeout on the opponent's best shooter, and the women are champs. The program is still feeling the repercussions to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    1986 vs Louisville. Broke a young boys heart.
    For me too. Not. Even. Close.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

‘86 Louisville. I was on the quad.

Back-to-back (well, sort of—2005 and 2007) one-goal losses to Hopkins in the championship game. Coach Pressler’s last season and Coach Danowski’s forst.

‘86. I was on the baseline. Longest drive back to Durham ever.

99 vs UConn was difficult. I was at Duke with my best friends at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    This has been visited in the past , but the lock-in and so many YOUTubes and replays have shuffled my list .

THE MIAMI LAST PLAY KICKOFF RETURN alway ranked high but I have now moved it below the 2019 Semi Final Lacrosse lost to UVA .

Up by two ---under two minutes --WITH THE BALL - and lose . TURNS OUT , Duke was still up by two with UNDER a minute. So hard to watch . Mercifully ,I've forgotten the name of #7 who threw away the ball on the throw-in.
    A
    Another punch to the gut --2006 loss to Maryland in NCAA women's Bball Championship game. Duke up by THREE ,clocking counting down the last few seconds and Tolliver of the Terps throws up a long dagger over the fingertips of Duke s tallest player .2 OT's later ,TERPS are champs .

It wasn’t van Raaphorst, it was Lindsey. And Prendergast turned the wrong way, making the catch much harder than it needed to be. Still, i hear ya.

'94 Tony Lang Manicure.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    This is the worst for me, by some measure. 1994 was bad, too, because we'd been up 10, but that would have really been an unexpected championship. Win in 99 and that squad is in the all time greatest discussion.

Man, I remember those crappy seats they gave to the students...

1986 vs. Louisville was awful, awful, awful, awful.

1999 in St. Pete vs UConn was awful, awful, awful.

2004 in San Antonio vs. UConn was awful, awful.

I was present at the last two.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    '94 Tony Lang Manicure.

GoDuke!
    This. Still too soon.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

This is mine. Crushing. I’ve tried to erase it from my memory. Did Trajan fall down on the last play?

Look, we're dealing with a pandemic, economic collapse, murder hornets...don't ask me to relive old pain. Let them stay dead and buried where they belong!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Look, we're dealing with a pandemic, economic collapse, murder hornets...don't ask me to relive old pain. Let them stay dead and buried where they belong!
    You ARE referring to the officials from Duke-UConn in San Antonio in 2004, aren't you?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

1999 championship game loss to UConn. That Duke team steamrolled everybody after a Nov. Close loss to Cincinnati. They were the best team in the country by a long shot.Came up short in a game they should have won. I was crushed afterwards.

But was the Miami kickoff return really as bad as the jump shot interception pass to UNC this year, on the <1 yard line?
    Neither are the "worst" anyway. But at least the kickoff return could be blamed on the officiating.

86 Louisville, I still remember how I felt at work the next day. Just totally crushed by that loss.