Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First insult

Quote Originally Posted by WallyHurst View Post
    Julius Caesar, Act 1 Scene 2

I'm writing a book on why Shakespeare is responsible, more or less, for World War I and II.

I can do this all day. My favorites though, are the insults. I give my acting students a sheet of them and have them chase each other down while shouting them at the top of their lungs.
    Here's one of my favorites. Maybe we can get these on the Crazies List for a game.

“Thou art like a toad; ugly and venomous.”

Here's one of my favorites. Maybe we can get these on the Crazies List for a game.

“Thou art like a toad; ugly and venomous.”
    Are you describing fans residing in the Dump on the Hump?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I’m good at trivia, not so good at knowing quotes. I don’t retain poetry. I’ve never spoken the words “I believe it was John Stuart Mill who said...”
    Maybe not, but you've written them.

Shakespeare and Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    But here’s one that comes to mind because of recent college basketball, specifically Mr. Stanley and Mr. Winston:

“Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look”
    Correct. I struggled with "Yon" (how I learned it in high school) vs. "Yond" (what the sources say now). I went with "Yond" because the D stands for defense.

Many people do not know this, but Shakespeare invented basketball. Here are ten quotes I offer as proof.

1. Had she affections and warm youthful blood, / She would be as swift in motion as a ball...

2. Yet there has been knights, and / lords, and gentlemen, with their coaches, I warrant / you, coach after coach, letter after letter, gift / after gift; smelling so sweetly, all musk...

3. Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, / Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel...

4. This is mere practice, Gloucester.

5. Since when, I pray you, sir? / God's light, with two points on your shoulder? Much!

6. My father's wit and my mother's tongue, assist me!

7. I do feel, / By the rebound of yours, a grief that smites / My very heart at root.

8. The good gods assuage thy / wrath, and turn the dregs of it upon this varlet / here,—this, who, like a block, hath denied my / access to thee.

9. But, cousin, what if we assay'd to steal / The clownish fool out of your father's court? / Would he not be a comfort to our travel?

10. It must be thought on. If it pass against us, / We lose the better half of our possession...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    11. The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.

12. and without any pause or staggering take this basket on your shoulders.

That's all I got without searching for quotes I didn't already know. (And I had to look up the second one to check on the wording.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 05-17-2020 at 06:04 PM.

I'm writing a book on why Shakespeare is responsible, more or less, for World War I and II.

I can do this all day. My favorites though, are the insults. I give my acting students a sheet of them and have them chase each other down while shouting them at the top of their lungs.
    I am having an ongoing "war" with my number 2 son who insists that Enrico Dandolo is a more important historical figure than Shakespeare. He maintains that we do not have peace in the Middle East because of Dandolo.

Where do you teach acting?

So far, my favorite Shakespeare line that I've gotten to say on stage is "We are the only love gods", delivered while holding a glass of "champagne". Everybody else clinked glasses with me, then we walked off stage. Great fun.

I played the part that gets to say "The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief" but it was an outdoor production and we had to cut the run time down to 100 minutes, so, that line was lost. It's my favorite line from Othello.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    So far, my favorite Shakespeare line that I've gotten to say on stage is "We are the only love gods", delivered while holding a glass of "champagne". Everybody else clinked glasses with me, then we walked off stage. Great fun.

I played the part that gets to say "The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief" but it was an outdoor production and we had to cut the run time down to 100 minutes, so, that line was lost. It's my favorite line from Othello.
    My favorite: “I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.”

Of course, I have only played one character in one play. But still . . . .

Hamlet!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    My favorite: “I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.”

Of course, I have only played one character in one play. But still . . . .
    Does anyone know what that means? I believe that I do.

Does anyone know what that means? I believe that I do.
    There is some debate as to whether the handsaw is actually that — a saw — or a bird (herinsaw heron).

But I always took it to mean that Hamlet is not as crazy as he makes himself appear to be, and that he can see more clearly than he is given credit.

I am having an ongoing "war" with my number 2 son who insists that Enrico Dandolo is a more important historical figure than Shakespeare. He maintains that we do not have peace in the Middle East because of Dandolo.

Where do you teach acting?
    Wally is a fraternity brother of mine and I urged him to partake in this thread! He and his lovely wife were theater co-directors at the Lakeland Cultural Arts little theater in Littleton, NC for many years. It was known as the busiest littler theater in the country, putting on 16 shows/year. Then he (they) went to England for 18 months where he got a Masters in Shakespeare at Brunell University. When he returned he got a job teaching theater at Louisburg College, just north of Durham. He retired last year. But he still knows his Bard. Ask him if he believes that Billieboy actually wrote the plays credited to him? LOL
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I have decided that my "theme quote" for 2020 is "Methought I was enamoured of an [redacted, rhymes with class]."

I have decided that my "theme quote" for 2020 is "Methought I was enamoured of an [redacted, rhymes with class]."
    Sometimes that wanker thing is annoying and unnecessary.

Sometimes that wanker thing is annoying and unnecessary.
    Yes. One of my favorite beers, named "Bright HAss Tank Top" (where, like with sagegrouse, the "H" is silent), makes that very clear every time I try to review it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

" I know thee well, a serviceable villain. As duteous to the vices of thy mistress as badness would desire".

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    " I know thee well, a serviceable villain. As duteous to the vices of thy mistress as badness would desire".
    hmmm, not sure, I've got two in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Sounds like my life . . . .

Sounds like my life . . . .
    You practice law, don’t you ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You practice law, don’t you ...
    Theoretically, yes. And I hear this from the people of the town.

But every night all the men would come around
    And lay their money down . . . .

Theoretically, yes. And I hear this from the people of the town.

But every night all the men would come around
    And lay their money down . . . .
    Are you a gypsy, a tramp, or a thief? Or all three. At the same time.