Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    The next one is a quote I'm sure you have all heard, but which play? This one, I expect will be a hard one.

    First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
    You say bees sting, I say bees wax.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You say bees sting, I say bees wax.
    It's a villain that says that line and it is meant to show respect for lawyers, btw. The conspirators cannot achieve their dastardly goals with all the smart lawyers in the way.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    It's a villain that says that line and it is meant to show respect for lawyers, btw. The conspirators cannot achieve their dastardly goals with all the smart lawyers in the way.
    Either that, or Billy S. got screwed by an agent.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Either that, or Billy S. got screwed by an agent.
    Yeah, yeah - what play is it from? (I think you're stalling.)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yeah, yeah - what play is it from? (I think you're stalling.)
    Oh, I didn’t think you wanted the actual answer here.

    Henry VI. The line about bees is the response IIRC.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh, I didn’t think you wanted the actual answer here.

    Henry VI. The line about bees is the response IIRC.
    I'll give it to you even though you didn't say which Part. ;-)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote number 4:

    These violent delights have violent ends.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'll give it to you even though you didn't say which Part. ;-)
    It’s the part where the guy says something about killing lawyers. I though that was obvious. ;-)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh, I didn’t think you wanted the actual answer here.

    Henry VI. The line about bees is the response IIRC.
    Not the immediate response, it's a few lines down, and I will admit I had to look that up.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It’s the part where the guy says something about killing lawyers. I though that was obvious. ;-)
    In terms of the 3 Henry VI plays, this quote is from the best one of the three, if that helps.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Quote number 4:

    These violent delights have violent ends.
    This is RJ though the reason I remember is because I looked it up after featuring heavily into WestWorld’s first season a few years back.

    Had no clue On the lawyers...

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This is RJ though the reason I remember is because I looked it up after featuring heavily into WestWorld’s first season a few years back.

    Had no clue On the lawyers...
    Yep. Friar Laurence says it to Romeo in the wedding scene before Juliet enters. Most of Friar Laurence's role is giving Romeo advice. If Romeo had listened, there would be no play.

    The rest of the line is therefore love moderately, long love doth so.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote 5:

    Brevity is the soul of wit.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I'm doing one more because it's my favorite quote in all of Shakespeare:

    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Quote 5:

    Brevity is the soul of wit.
    Someone around here resembles that remark....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Quote 5:

    Brevity is the soul of wit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Someone around here resembles that remark...
    Actually, I got my handle from The Simpsons:

    brevity.jpg

    As for the quote:

    "Hamlet didn't say that."
    "I think I remember Hamlet accurately."
    "Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did."

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Actually, I got my handle from The Simpsons:

    brevity.jpg

    As for the quote:

    "Hamlet didn't say that."
    "I think I remember Hamlet accurately."
    "Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did."
    I was hoping there was a Clueless fan around here.

    Side question - what Jane Austen novel is the source material for Clueless?

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I was hoping there was a Clueless fan around here.

    Side question - what Jane Austen novel is the source material for Clueless?
    Emma?

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I was hoping there was a Clueless fan around here.

    Side question - what Jane Austen novel is the source material for Clueless?
    Northanger Freeway? Tai and Prejudice? Dress and Sensibility? MacArthur Park? Purse-suasion? Sanditon Monica?

    Nah, it’s the other one.
    Spoiler!


    I’m good at trivia, not so good at knowing quotes. I don’t retain poetry. I’ve never spoken the words “I believe it was John Stuart Mill who said...”

    But here’s one that comes to mind because of recent college basketball, specifically Mr. Stanley and Mr. Winston:

    “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look”

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Northanger Freeway? Tai and Prejudice? Dress and Sensibility? MacArthur Park? Purse-suasion? Sanditon Monica?

    Nah, it’s the other one.
    Spoiler!


    I’m good at trivia, not so good at knowing quotes. I don’t retain poetry. I’ve never spoken the words “I believe it was John Stuart Mill who said...”

    But here’s one that comes to mind because of recent college basketball, specifically Mr. Stanley and Mr. Winston:

    “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look”


    Julius Caesar, Act 1 Scene 2

    I'm writing a book on why Shakespeare is responsible, more or less, for World War I and II.

    I can do this all day. My favorites though, are the insults. I give my acting students a sheet of them and have them chase each other down while shouting them at the top of their lungs.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-05-2019, 07:44 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  3. Relative productivity of "big" and "small" lineups
    By Kedsy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
  4. Icing the Shooter: "Good" play or "Bad"
    By greybeard in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •