Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is it fair to point out that there were only 8-10 teams? Surely that's a factor in the number of rings certain teams won in the 50s and 60s.
    Abundantly fair. In my opinion there is little doubt that you are correct. And this is coming from one of the world’s biggest Boston Celtics fans.

But I also don’t think the five titles won by the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers should be added to the total of titles won by the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Last edited by Steven43; 05-27-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Abundantly fair. In my opinion there is little doubt that you are correct. And this is coming from one of the world’s biggest Boston Celtics fans.

But I also don’t think the five titles won by the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers should be added to the total of titles won by the Los Angeles Lakers.
    All Charlotte Hornets championships are clumping in with Pelican championships. And, eh, Bobcats or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    All Charlotte Hornets championships are clumping in with Pelican championships. And, eh, Bobcats or something?
    I detect just the tiniest hint of sarcasm.

I detect just the tiniest hint of sarcasm.
    Moi?

Russell wont the mvp that year!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFan84 View Post
    You mean the Celtics won the games thanks to 10 future Hall of Famers, Wilt was in a different class compared to Russell its not really even close. His team was clearly superior but the Reg. Season was 57-38 in those games Wilt averaged 31-28-4 on 49% FG while Russell averaged 14-23-4 on 37% FG and was held to single digit in 25 of the games. Then in the Playoffs it was onlyl 29-20 advantage to Russell and the Celtics but Wilt was still superior head to head 26-28-5 on 51% FG while Russell was at 14-25-5 on 41% FG. They met eight times in the playoffs, and Celtics won seven of those series, including four Game 7s by a grand total of nine points.
    Russell won the MVP the year Oscar averaged a triple-double and Wilt averaged 50 points.

The players voted and Russell won. That's the biggest point you can make in the Wilt-Russell argument.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/th...ill-didnt-win/

Why is that? Same franchise, different location.

Do the ATL Hawks count the St Louis Hawks' Championship? Do the GS Warriors count the Philadelphia Warriors' championships? Do the 76ers count the Syracuse Nationals' championship? Do the Thunder count the Sonic's championship? Do the Kings count the Rochester Royals' championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post

Do the ATL Hawks count the St Louis Hawks' Championship? Do the GS Warriors count the Philadelphia Warriors' championships? Do the 76ers count the Syracuse Nationals' championship? Do the Thunder count the Sonic's championship? Do the Kings count the Rochester Royals' championship?
    Fans are a big part of a teams’ success. The fans of Minneapolis contributed to those five championships, while the fans of Los Angeles did not. Completely different setting, vibe, etc.

Allow me to give you another example. What if Duke University decided to close it’s Durham campus and move operations to, say, Boise, Idaho. And they brought with them all of the administrators, support staff, professors, coaches, etc. And let’s say that in the very first year on their new campus, playing in their new basketball arena, they were to win the national championship. But it wasn’t in Durham and it wasn’t in our beloved Cameron Indoor, and it wasn’t in front of our Duke fans. Would you really consider that a national championship for Duke University in the sense of what we think of as Duke University today?

Allow me to give you another example. What if Duke University decided to close it’s Durham campus and move operations to, say, Boise, Idaho. And they brought with them all of the administrators, support staff, professors, coaches, etc. And let’s say that in the very first year on their new campus, playing in their new basketball arena, they were to win the national championship. But it wasn’t in Durham and it wasn’t in our beloved Cameron Indoor, and it wasn’t in front of our Duke fans. Would you really consider that a national championship for Duke University in the sense of what we think of as Duke University today?
    I don't know; there's no way that could happen in my lifetime. But I'd probably enjoy the skiing and potatoes if we were in Boise. The new crosstown rivalry with Boise State could make us all forget unc. And I'd love to watch the Blue Devils play on the blue football field. Would Duke stay in the ACC?

Wake Forest didn't leave its sports history or fans behind when it moved to Winston-Salem.

I don't know; there's no way that could happen in my lifetime. But I'd probably enjoy the skiing and potatoes if we were in Boise. The new crosstown rivalry with Boise State could make us all forget unc. And I'd love to watch the Blue Devils play on the blue football field. Would Duke stay in the ACC?

Wake Forest didn't leave its sports history or fans behind when it moved to Winston-Salem.
    And those fans in Randolph County were still Trinity fans after the move to Durm.

-jk

The Chargers left San Diego. If they were to win a Super Bowl, they would still be the same Chargers. Luckily this is a pure hypothetical, because Team Spanos is not going to win the big one.
    Carolina delenda est

I kind of think it would, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Repeat after me: should HAVE, should HAVE, should HAVE, should HAVE...keep repeating until it is internalized. The contraction is "should've." The letters H and A have been removed, but the word ends with VE. When we speak the contacted form, it SOUNDS like "should of," a little bit anyway, but that doesn't make it ok to WRITE "should of" when you mean to say "should have."

Man, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Sorry to unload on you, LasVegas, you are certainly not the only person who does this. Yes, I'm annoying in a "grammar police" or "spelling police" sort of way, but I can't help it. And this particular mistake is probably the one that bothers me the most.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Yeah, I always do it. I try to catch myself sometimes but with nonprofessional settings, I don’t really attempt to watch my grammar so much.

I do wonder if one day should of/could of/etc. will be appropriate English. Seems like they add stuff every year since language is ever evolving.

That's an interesting speculation, but nothing is more true than the observation that language changes. I'm told that the French Academy has fought to keep French pure, or uniform, or whatever - at least part of which I suspect has been resisting the intrusion of English words. I'm about as far from expert as one can be, but my impression is that the Academy in some respects is fighting a losing battle. I have a working vocabulary of perhaps twenty words of French. But most of us know that Greek used to be written with no punctuation whatever. And anyone who's tried reading Chaucer in Middle English knows that it's tough going. As for Beowulf in Old English - no chance. Completely foreign. Since there have been a couple of contributions of irritating English misuse offered, I'll put in my two cents.
    The worst is the lie/lay problem. "I have to go lay down" does for me what fingernails on a blackboard do. Happily, although it's common, most folks know better.

More subtle are the loss of subjective voice, "If I were you . . ." not "If I was you."
    And the use of a possessive pronoun with a gerund: "His taking offense .. ." not "him taking offense."
    "Your being mistaken," not "you being mistaken."
    Unhappily, these are misused more often than correctly used.

Probably there are more important things to worry about, and disliked, and I was bored by jr high/middle school grammar as much as anyone else, but it has long since become my conviction that the English language is one of the most fabulous developments of civilization. If we all used it more precisely, I suspect there would be fewer misunderstandings and less miscommunication.

I'll climb down from the soap box now.

I haven’t read every post, but having gotten to watch in person two of my top 10 ,would be Bird and Pistol Pete. Watching them live is something I’ll never forget. PistonPete threw a behind the back bounce pass from one free thrown line to the other free throw line in stride for a fast break layup. And a no- look over the head pass as he was falling out of bounds for another layup. Bird was great against the Bullets, and then in the 4th quarter when he literally took over with 3’s, no look passes and rebounds that put the game out of reach.