Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Unfortunately, I agree with Jim here. He may have even agreed to an underslot deal prior to the draft in order to save the Cardinals money. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Side note, unless things have changed recently, the MLB pays for the college education (I'm not sure if it's 100% or just a good portion of it) of players who sign out of high school once their playing days are done. So if you're a high schooler getting first round money, the best bet is to go make money...you can always go back to college later if your career doesn't pan out.
    The MLB can rest easy that very few players take them up on this offer...

Unfortunately, I agree with Jim here. He may have even agreed to an underslot deal prior to the draft in order to save the Cardinals money. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Side note, unless things have changed recently, the MLB pays for the college education (I'm not sure if it's 100% or just a good portion of it) of players who sign out of high school once their playing days are done. So if you're a high schooler getting first round money, the best bet is to go make money...you can always go back to college later if your career doesn't pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The MLB can rest easy that very few players take them up on this offer...
    Isn't that how Trajan Langdon played bball at Duke but wasn't a scholarship player? I believe the Padres paid his way.

Found an article: https://www.greensboro.com/duke-recr...f777d02b2.html

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Isn't that how Trajan Langdon played bball at Duke but wasn't a scholarship player? I believe the Padres paid his way.

Found an article: https://www.greensboro.com/duke-recr...f777d02b2.html
    yes he did, but the post I was responding to concerned players returning to college after their playing days were finished, which isn't what Trajan did.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes he did, but the post I was responding to concerned players returning to college after their playing days were finished, which isn't what Trajan did.
    Understood. Hopefully, many will take them up on the offer. Sounds like a pretty good deal since it isn't easy to make it to the big leagues.

Can the Trajan Langdon method even work now? Can someone be paid professionally for a sport and still play another sport for a college?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Can the Trajan Langdon method even work now? Can someone be paid professionally for a sport and still play another sport for a college?
    Yes, Kyler Murray never actually played baseball professionally, but he had a baseball contract and signing bonus which didn't impact his eligibility for football (and not having played doesn't make a difference, he could've played that summer and still been eligible that fall).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The other two were expected, but the big surprise today was Evan Carter being drafted 50th, certainly putting us in danger of losing him before he steps on campus. It was so unexpected that media sources did not even have info prepped on him when he was picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Yes, Kyler Murray never actually played baseball professionally, but he had a baseball contract and signing bonus which didn't impact his eligibility for football (and not having played doesn't make a difference, he could've played that summer and still been eligible that fall).
    Also not uncommon for players who played professional soccer without going to college to go to school and be placekickers after soccer does not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    The other two were expected, but the big surprise today was Evan Carter being drafted 50th, certainly putting us in danger of losing him before he steps on campus. It was so unexpected that media sources did not even have info prepped on him when he was picked.

Also not uncommon for players who played professional soccer without going to college to go to school and be placekickers after soccer does not work out.
    Carter wasn't even on most top 250 lists. Just a stunner. Duke was resigned to losing Jordan Walker but not Carter. They need to convince him that three years in Durham turns him into a top-five pick in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Carter wasn't even on most top 250 lists. Just a stunner. Duke was resigned to losing Jordan Walker but not Carter. They need to convince him that three years in Durham turns him into a top-five pick in 2023.
    I've got to think he will take the money and run. Really as shocker.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Is he seen as a pitcher or an outfielder?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Is he seen as a pitcher or an outfielder?
    Outfielder.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Outfielder.
    Carter is gone. Truly a bummer for Duke, but I'm happy for him.

Evan Carter plans to sign with the Rangers over going to Duke, calling the decision a "no-brainer."
    https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/prospects/mlb-draft-results-texas-rangers-select-evan-carter-second-round

Walker and Carter are part of progress of the program. McNally had 1 top catcher(?) drafted by Seattle(?) that chose the pros over Duke. ESPN(?) had an interesting article about life after MLB recently. Unless you are Mike Trout, Derek Jeter, etc., you're going to have an encore career and want that Duke degree.

I have faith in our coaching staff to get the most of what returns. I'm equally interested to know which other 2020 juniors and seniors might come back to Duke for 2021.

Matt Mervis

Senior 1B/RHP Matt Mervis signed with the Cubs. I'm not sure for how much, but since all UDFA's are maxed out at $20K, I'd guess that's what he got.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...p-matt-mervis/
    T '05, SOM '10

Senior 1B/RHP Matt Mervis signed with the Cubs. I'm not sure for how much, but since all UDFA's are maxed out at $20K, I'd guess that's what he got.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...p-matt-mervis/
    Yeah, just assume all UDFAs are getting the 20K max at the moment. I suspect later guys to sign might take less, but guys this early will just be taking the pitiful max and hoping to make an impact through the minors.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Thomas Girard, junior right-handed closer, signed with the Orioles.

https://twitter.com/DukeBASE/status/...502541824?s=20
    T '05, SOM '10