Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You mean this guy?

https://youtu.be/TGPUVuhqD3Q
    Sure do! And boy is that a lot of firepower on the stage.

I saw Gov't Mule in NOLA during Jazz Fest in 2005, and Dave joined for a few songs. It was great. The venue was small, seating was GA and we planned ahead so we were front and center. One of the top 10 shows I've been too.

I would give a lot to see Warren and Tim play together.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    You, sir, enjoy similar music as I. I notice that neither Gov’t Mule nor Warren Haynes are on you list. Have you ventured in that direction?
    Warren Haynes recorded a solo album in my brother's studio a number of years ago. Jimmy Vaughan also recorded a couple of very good albums there, one of which was nominated for a Grammy. My brother thinks the most talented musician who has recorded at his studio is Redd Volkaert, Merle Haggard's guitarist, who recorded his portion of a Brad Paisley instrumental there. Calexico is another very talented band who recorded part of an album in his studio. Most of his other clients are not famous, although Jon Dee Graham is an Austin music legend who started his career with Alejandro Escovedo. I'd recommend JDG's "Swept Away" documentary soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You mean this guy?

https://youtu.be/TGPUVuhqD3Q
    Does it get better than #41? Howa about #41 with Tim Reynolds and Warren Haynes all acoustic. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Does it get better than #41? Howa about #41 with Tim Reynolds and Warren Haynes all acoustic. Thanks for sharing!
    The only thing that gets better is being there to see it live . . . . . which I was.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Fun thread, exposing the range of DBR posters' ages and tastes. I'm almost 60 and disappointed some of the older folks just threw in the towel. I mean I love me some classic rock but I'm always looking for new music, I'd die without it. You can't listen to the same old stuff forever (oldsters and classical music snobs). Admittedly I never did cotton to rap and hip-hop, despite the kids' attempts. Didn't scan all the posts so here's some that come to mind (trying to stay in the 10 years range):

Already mentioned: Drive By Truckers & Jason Isbell, Old 97s & Rhett Butler, Wilco & Jeff Tweedy, Shins & Broken Bells & James Mercer, The Jayhawks & Gary Louris (now in NC),

NC/Durham: Hiss Golden Messenger & MC Taylor & Phil Cook, Avett Brothers, Amanda Anne Platt, Dex Romweber, Ben Folds, I'd say Ryan Adams but turns out he's an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Been around: Spoon, Chuck Prophet, John Hiatt & more recently daughter Lilly Hiatt, Cowboy Junkies, Over the Rhine, James McMurtry, My Morning Jacket & Monsters of Folk & Jim James, Aimee Mann, Regina Spektor, PJ Harvey

More recent: Courtney Barnett, Marcus King, The Record Company, Shakey Graves, The Barr Brothers, Margaret Glaspy, Jake Bugg

I'm sure i'll forget a few I wish I'd included...
    Great list! I'm always looking for new music. Having watched the Avetts 'grow up' at Merlefest has been a blast! The Honeycutters (Amanda Anne Platt), too, influenced my love for the Americana/folk music scene.

One performer I've just become aware of is Krista Shows, now living in the Asheville area. In February, she played the Isis there. I found out about her while watching YouTube videos at the Spindale, NC radio website WNCW. She's a little bit country (a whole lot country), a little bit r&b, a little bit Hank, Sr. wrapped up with a good sense of humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZQVfhii98
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Great list! I'm always looking for new music. Having watched the Avetts 'grow up' at Merlefest has been a blast! The Honeycutters (Amanda Anne Platt), too, influenced my love for the Americana/folk music scene.

One performer I've just become aware of is Krista Shows, now living in the Asheville area. In February, she played the Isis there. I found out about her while watching YouTube videos at the Spindale, NC radio website WNCW. She's a little bit country (a whole lot country), a little bit r&b, a little bit Hank, Sr. wrapped up with a good sense of humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZQVfhii98
    Amanda Anne Platt and the Honeycutters are very good. Will give Krista Shows a listen!

Thanks for the Krista Shows rec killerleft. Listened on Spotify at first and her voice was really deep. Flipping over to YouTube it was hard to put that voice with the images I was seeing. Anyway, tough times for musicians, especially those trying to get established. I sure miss live music but probably not as much as the performers miss performing...

Thanks for the Krista Shows rec killerleft. Listened on Spotify at first and her voice was really deep. Flipping over to YouTube it was hard to put that voice with the images I was seeing. Anyway, tough times for musicians, especially those trying to get established. I sure miss live music but probably not as much as the performers miss performing...
    You're welcome! I just paid for her CD and eagerly await its arrival. I believe artists should be paid for their work.

Bridging classic rock and new music:

(Pretty sure that’s Jason Isbell behind his wife, Amanda Series on fiddle/violin)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bridging classic rock and new music:

(Pretty sure that’s Jason Isbell behind his wife, Amanda Series on fiddle/violin)
    Indeed it is. He’s been quietly playing in the band a good bit as The Highwomen have rolled out their initial album (which is amazing).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Indeed it is. He’s been quietly playing in the band a good bit as The Highwomen have rolled out their initial album (which is amazing).
    Quietly is good. I love Isbell, but his concert at White Oak Amphitheater at the Coliseum in Greensboro was so loud I'll never go to another unless it is an acoustic show.

I just listened to this version of The Chain last night. They are great!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

And if you don’t know Keller Williams, here is another mix of new covering old in a unique way:

This guy can play any stringed instrument, Just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I love Isbell, but his concert at White Oak Amphitheater at the Coliseum in Greensboro was so loud I'll never go to another unless it is an acoustic show.
    I have tinnitus in my left ear courtesy of a Drive By Truckers show, with Isbell, at the Cat's Cradle some years ago. Now I'm religious about the ear plugs, which I don't enjoy. Don't get the crazy high volumes...

I have tinnitus in my left ear courtesy of a Drive By Truckers show, with Isbell, at the Cat's Cradle some years ago. Now I'm religious about the ear plugs, which I don't enjoy. Don't get the crazy high volumes...
    Went to see Dinosuar Jr. A couple of years ago and Jay Mascis is still punishingly loud live. Ear plugs are now a must at any concert, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Not so funny story about Blues Traveler - I saw them in the mid to late 90's. Only time in my life I couldn't enjoy a show because I was seriously concerned for the health of someone on stage. John Popper was sweating more than anyone I've ever seen. He was having trouble catching his breath between numbers, the works. I honestly thought dude was going to have a heart attack right there in front of a couple thousand people!
    Sounds like that was back in the Horde Fest days. I remember a similar experience watching Popper and genuinely concerned that he was going to keel over any minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    The entire Good Company album is on regular rotation in my truck. This song in particular keeps me whistling and snapping my fingers...

Nice rec!

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Went to see Dinosuar Jr. A couple of years ago and Jay Mascis is still punishingly loud live. Ear plugs are now a must at any concert, just in case.
    My wife saw Dinosaur Jr on her 21st birthday at a dive bar in Santa Clara, CA. Some band called "Nirvana" opened for them. There was no cover charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My wife saw Dinosaur Jr on her 21st birthday at a dive bar in Santa Clara, CA. Some band called "Nirvana" opened for them. There was no cover charge.
    Nice. I liked dinosaur jr a lot back in the day. I had the opportunity of seeing Nirvana in the Cow Palace outside San Francisco on their in utero tour. Thiught I might end up in the ER when I got a bit too deep into the mosh pit for a short while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow! Early times. That must have been an incredible show.

I woke up at about 4 am, and somehow Jason Isbell’s “Super 8” got in my head. Been up since.