Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Bonobo

My favorite musician of this millenium is probably Bonobo, and here's one of his best songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_jfHMjGp-0

Perhaps best described as trip hop, in the spirit of Thievery Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    My favorite musician of this millenium is probably Bonobo, and here's one of his best songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_jfHMjGp-0

Perhaps best described as trip hop, in the spirit of Thievery Corporation.
    Now you’re bringing it. Trip Hop is my thing. Morcheeba, Zero 7, Portishead, Air, Massive Attack, and especially Everything but the Girl (my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Now you’re bringing it. Trip Hop is my thing. Morcheeba, Zero 7, Portishead, Air, Massive Attack, and especially Everything but the Girl (my favorite).
    I love all those artists, too...I mean, really love them. I even liked EBTG before they were trip-hopping...Amplified Heart is one of my all-time favorite albums. Who else do you like in this space?

AH and Walking Wounded are my favorites although I also love the jazzy earlier records. Did some great covers too: Tougher than the Rest, Time after Time, etc.

Others I like? Froufrou (and Imogen Heap as solo. One of my favorites- innovative and talented), Saint Etienne, Beth Orton. The genre evolved into trance and often EDM.

If you use Pandora, set up an EBTG station. A lot of trip hop. Also pick up or stream the soundtrack from Garden State. It is a trip hop lovers paradise.

Finally, I am really loving Ben Watt’s post EBTG career, especially Hendra and his latest, Storm Damage.

I love all those artists, too...I mean, really love them. I even liked EBTG before they were trip-hopping...Amplified Heart is one of my all-time favorite albums. Who else do you like in this space?
    AH and Walking Wounded are my favorites although I also love the jazzy earlier records. Did some great covers too: Tougher than the Rest, Time after Time, etc.

Others I like? Froufrou (and Imogen Heap as solo. One of my favorites- innovative and talented), Saint Etienne, Beth Orton. The genre evolved into trance and often EDM.

If you use Pandora, set up an EBTG station. A lot of trip hop. Also pick up or stream the soundtrack from Garden State. It is a trip hop lovers paradise.

Finally, I am really loving Ben Watt’s post EBTG career, especially Hendra and his latest, Storm Damage.
    I listened to a ton of trip-hop from about '95 to '05. I would grab from your list Portishead, Air, Massive Attack, and add a healthy dose of Sneaker Pimps, Faithless, UNKLE, DJ Shadow, with a sprinkling of Hooverphonic and Laurent Garnier.

I will have to set up a station or two with some of your suggestions to see if I still get into some of the newer stuff. Keep the suggestions coming...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I listened to a ton of trip-hop from about '95 to '05. I would grab from your list Portishead, Air, Massive Attack, and add a healthy dose of Sneaker Pimps, Faithless, UNKLE, DJ Shadow, with a sprinkling of Hooverphonic and Laurent Garnier.

I will have to set up a station or two with some of your suggestions to see if I still get into some of the newer stuff. Keep the suggestions coming...
    On the newer side, I've started listening to Alina Baraz. Found her on the EBTG station on Pandora. Soothing voice.

Try this. https://youtu.be/W3ebfGbeeyQ

Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Yup, the frequent mentions in this thread got me curious about Isbell, and I checked out his new album, too. Agree that it's excellent.
    Isbell and his wife, Amanda Shires, did an acoustic set of his new recording, Reunions, Friday night from a new place in Nashville, with only camera operators and sound engineers present physically. Some folks joined in on Zoom. You can see the performance here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nions-1000900/

For an encore, they covered Warren Zevon's Mutineer and an Isbell song "Cover Me Up", from Southeastern, his breakthrough album.

Fun thread, exposing the range of DBR posters' ages and tastes. I'm almost 60 and disappointed some of the older folks just threw in the towel. I mean I love me some classic rock but I'm always looking for new music, I'd die without it. You can't listen to the same old stuff forever (oldsters and classical music snobs). Admittedly I never did cotton to rap and hip-hop, despite the kids' attempts. Didn't scan all the posts so here's some that come to mind (trying to stay in the 10 years range):

Already mentioned: Drive By Truckers & Jason Isbell, Old 97s & Rhett Butler, Wilco & Jeff Tweedy, Shins & Broken Bells & James Mercer, The Jayhawks & Gary Louris (now in NC),

NC/Durham: Hiss Golden Messenger & MC Taylor & Phil Cook, Avett Brothers, Amanda Anne Platt, Dex Romweber, Ben Folds, I'd say Ryan Adams but turns out he's an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Been around: Spoon, Chuck Prophet, John Hiatt & more recently daughter Lilly Hiatt, Cowboy Junkies, Over the Rhine, James McMurtry, My Morning Jacket & Monsters of Folk & Jim James, Aimee Mann, Regina Spektor, PJ Harvey

More recent: Courtney Barnett, Marcus King, The Record Company, Shakey Graves, The Barr Brothers, Margaret Glaspy, Jake Bugg

I'm sure i'll forget a few I wish I'd included...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I'd say Ryan Adams but turns out he's an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.
    Haha. That always makes me laugh!

But seriously, what Ryan Adams did or did not do is something we will likely never know. I’m not going to crucify the guy without hard evidence of serious criminal wrongdoing. Besides, the dude is a damn good musician and singer-songwriter. His album ‘Heartbreaker’ is brilliant. I still listen to it regularly.

Fun thread, exposing the range of DBR posters' ages and tastes. I'm almost 60 and disappointed some of the older folks just threw in the towel. I mean I love me some classic rock but I'm always looking for new music, I'd die without it. You can't listen to the same old stuff forever (oldsters and classical music snobs). Admittedly I never did cotton to rap and hip-hop, despite the kids' attempts. Didn't scan all the posts so here's some that come to mind (trying to stay in the 10 years range):

Already mentioned: Drive By Truckers & Jason Isbell, Old 97s & Rhett Butler, Wilco & Jeff Tweedy, Shins & Broken Bells & James Mercer, The Jayhawks & Gary Louris (now in NC),

NC/Durham: Hiss Golden Messenger & MC Taylor & Phil Cook, Avett Brothers, Amanda Anne Platt, Dex Romweber, Ben Folds, I'd say Ryan Adams but turns out he's an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Been around: Spoon, Chuck Prophet, John Hiatt & more recently daughter Lilly Hiatt, Cowboy Junkies, Over the Rhine, James McMurtry, My Morning Jacket & Monsters of Folk & Jim James, Aimee Mann, Regina Spektor, PJ Harvey

More recent: Courtney Barnett, Marcus King, The Record Company, Shakey Graves, The Barr Brothers, Margaret Glaspy, Jake Bugg

I'm sure i'll forget a few I wish I'd included...
    You, sir, enjoy similar music as I. I notice that neither Gov’t Mule nor Warren Haynes are on you list. Have you ventured in that direction?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    You, sir, enjoy similar music as I. I notice that neither Gov’t Mule nor Warren Haynes are on you list. Have you ventured in that direction?
    You mean this guy?

https://youtu.be/TGPUVuhqD3Q
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I still listen to lots of older stuff: '70s Dead, Allman Bros, Neil Young, The Band, Little Feat, etc. Guess my favorite guitar players from the last few decades are Duane, Zappa, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, BB and Buddy Guy. Marcus King is the guy I really want to see live before he goes too commercial. To be honest I've never been a Warren Haynes fan. IMO he's a bit heavy handed and a bit of a stage hog, though I haven't seen him play acoustic (as in the previously linked video) though TBH I'm not a DMB fan either...

I still listen to lots of older stuff: '70s Dead, Allman Bros, Neil Young, The Band, Little Feat, etc. Guess my favorite guitar players from the last few decades are Duane, Zappa, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, BB and Buddy Guy. Marcus King is the guy I really want to see live before he goes too commercial. To be honest I've never been a Warren Haynes fan. IMO he's a bit heavy handed and a bit of a stage hog, though I haven't seen him play acoustic (as in the previously linked video) though TBH I'm not a DMB fan either...
    Marcus King shreds. Saw him open for Blues Travelers a few years ago. He came out and played with them — and blew everyone off the stage.

If you’ve never heard him, picture a meld of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Duane Allman. Dude just melts.

Tough time for live music. Can't believe the video from the teenager below is already SIX years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRpOqZqlHRY
    Last edited by jimmymax; 05-19-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: He's from SC not GA

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Haha. That always makes me laugh!

But seriously, what Ryan Adams did or did not do is something we will likely never know. I’m not going to crucify the guy without hard evidence of serious criminal wrongdoing. Besides, the dude is a damn good musician and singer-songwriter. His album ‘Heartbreaker’ is brilliant. I still listen to it regularly.
    Ryan Adams kicked me out of one of his shows in Seattle almost 20 years ago for talking during the opening band's set. He was in the crowd and sitting behind me.

I've been unimpressed with him ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Marcus King shreds. Saw him open for Blues Travelers a few years ago. He came out and played with them — and blew everyone off the stage.

If you’ve never heard him, picture a meld of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Duane Allman. Dude just melts.
    I recommend the Playing for Change version of The Weight. It's quite beautiful, it's socially distanced, and it has some beautiful work by Marcus King (and Ringo Starr and Robbie Robertson). It also exposed me to Larkin Poe, who I've also come to like and who are sometimes described as a distaff version of the Allman Brothers.

...Larkin Poe, who I've also come to like and who are sometimes described as a distaff version of the Allman Brothers.
    Oh, be still my heart. Will be checking this out today.

In a slightly airier, more modern vein, but still with twangy female harmonies, there's First Aid Kit, a Swedish duo who sound nothing like Swedes (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Agreed on Marcus King!

Not so funny story about Blues Traveler - I saw them in the mid to late 90's. Only time in my life I couldn't enjoy a show because I was seriously concerned for the health of someone on stage. John Popper was sweating more than anyone I've ever seen. He was having trouble catching his breath between numbers, the works. I honestly thought dude was going to have a heart attack right there in front of a couple thousand people!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Agreed on Marcus King!

Not so funny story about Blues Traveler - I saw them in the mid to late 90's. Only time in my life I couldn't enjoy a show because I was seriously concerned for the health of someone on stage. John Popper was sweating more than anyone I've ever seen. He was having trouble catching his breath between numbers, the works. I honestly thought dude was going to have a heart attack right there in front of a couple thousand people!
    You mean this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH6AivJ4zwM

[Okay; I'll stop now; promise. ]
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You mean this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH6AivJ4zwM

[Okay; I'll stop now; promise. ]
    Ha! He looks 100 times better there than he did back when I saw him! That's good to see. I had heard that he had really worked on his health for a while.